How long will you keep your S6?

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious to know when people will start holding on to their phone longer than 2 years. Upgrades from year to year are certainly noticeable, but there comes a point, much like TVs and laptops, where the acceleration slows down. Other than the USB-C, I can't imagine in 2 years that something will be out that will prevent me from waiting a 3rd year. Significant battery life improvement would be the biggest reason for me to upgrade, and certainly the aforementioned USB-C, but even still, I'm buying a Nexus 6 and S6 Edge in the near future, and I plan on keeping them both for 3 years minimum.

Posted via the Android Central App

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I generally hold onto the phone until there's a reason to not use it. I still have my V-551 in working condition (and with the SIM adapter in it, I can pop my microSIM into it if I need a cheap phone where I'm going or with what I'm doing). I currently have a Note 3. Eventually, apps are going to be developed on 64 bit phones. Eventually there won't be any 32 bit phones being sold. If I'm still alive by then, the Note 3 will start not running apps I want to run. (Probably stuff no one has thought of yet. When I was a kid, being able to refold a paper map while sitting in the car was a skill you learned early. GPS? What's that?) Then I'll have to think about getting a new phone. But as long as the hardware doesn't go bad, I keep this Note 3. (And if it does, the insurance will replace it with whatever they have available then.)

I'm not the kind who needs a new paint job every 2 (or even 3) years. I repaint just before the old coat starts to peel. If that's 5 years, or 10, that's fine.

pyrogt

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm still using a Droid Bionic. I hate this phone so much. The OS is fine, the phone became junk over time. So I plan on holding onto the S6 for a long, long, time.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I haven't kept a phone for more than one year. As long as they keep improving the camera every year, I will be powerless to stop the annual upgrades.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
For those of you that jump every year, how do you do it? Do you just buy it off contract and sell the previous device? I'd like to upgrade every year, but with a wife now, it's tough to get approval blowing hundreds of dollars every year when it really isn't "necessary". Can someone give me a ballpark figure as to what the cost is? Looks to me like S5's are going for around $300 on ebay. Assuming you're buying the S6 base off contract that is $700. So are you spending $400 per year on devices?

I've done it before in the past with iPhones, but that was much easier because iPhone's carry their resale much better than Android phones. A year old iPhone is still a hot commodity. A year old Android phone is not.

JohnSmith23

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Galaxy SIII for a little over 3 years now. It survived being dropped in a pool, being dropped in general way too many times (along with some pretty hardcore drops), a lot of dust & the summer heat in AZ, and so on. I would say that at the 2 year 9 month mark the OS decided to take a ****.

Granted I've had my phone rooted this whole time on Wicked Sensations and stopped updating at the v5.0 ModifiedMK3 build so there could be some software glitches that caused that.

But my biggest issue is the RAM. I have a lot of apps and around that time is when my phone started to become really f*cking slow! I constantly have to use ES Task Killer & Greenify (both root versions) just to have my phone's speed back to normal.

So I was excited when I heard rumors of 4GB of RAM and sad when I heard it was actually 3. I'm upgrading to the S6 or S6 Edge (depending on how the Edge feels in my hands) but I hope that the 3GB RAM will be enough to keep me going another 2-3 years...

Last edited:

Juliann826

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
For those of you that jump every year, how do you do it? Do you just buy it off contract and sell the previous device? I'd like to upgrade every year, but with a wife now, it's tough to get approval blowing hundreds of dollars every year when it really isn't "necessary". Can someone give me a ballpark figure as to what the cost is? Looks to me like S5's are going for around $300 on ebay. Assuming you're buying the S6 base off contract that is $700. So are you spending $400 per year on devices?

I've done it before in the past with iPhones, but that was much easier because iPhone's carry their resale much better than Android phones. A year old iPhone is still a hot commodity. A year old Android phone is not.

I bought the Droid Turbo on on 10/31/14, price was $700. I plan on purchasing an S6E 32GB and selling my Turbo for $500. Depending on how much the verizon S6E - 32 is I'll end up spending $250-$350 on this device, which is about the same price as buying it on contract.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

I'm on the Jump program with T-Mobile. I can upgrade every year.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm on the Jump program with T-Mobile. I can upgrade every year.

But you have to pay off the phone in full, right?

Just curious because I'm currently going on the Verizon edge plan which I believe is similar. I pay the full retail price spaced out over the course of 24 months. I can upgrade if I trade in the device at 16 months. Or I can pay off the phone earlier and "upgrade" to another device whenever I want if I just pay off the balance. So it's not really me upgrading early, I'm still paying full price for the phone. But I guess you can recoup some of the cost by selling the phone.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I would like to say a long time, but I get bored and shiny objects call me like sirens in the ocean. Seriously though its a solid device so I am hoping to get a year or more, if the S7 is an even better improvement I will upgrade.