Got my Edge - Quick Impressions...

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Based on what you've said,you're choosing one evil over the other, having chargers on hand everywhere are versus disabling services.

If I had to pick one though, it'd be your version. The screen not recognizing the touch on the edges concern me.

Posted via the Android Central App

Yup, that's a fair assessment!

::::::knock on wood:::::: I'm not experiencing any touch issues with mine so far.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
People, what you are describing about Android System draining battery is related directly to a couple of things that were also an issue to some with the S5, Location Services and Wifi Settings and is advance options are a couple of them.

Please, try what I suggested in my thread about the tips and tricks for te Galaxy S5 that I posted the link here and in the regular s6 forum. Turn off location reporting, check and then of the unneeded wifi settings that is always checking for the best signal between cell and wifi, remove unneeded bloat and I'm almost sure if so help all of you a lot with the battery drain.

I'd love to do this things myself and do the tests but I won't have my s6 edge until the 10th.

chefmorry

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
.... check and then of the unneeded wifi settings that is always checking for the best signal between cell and wifi.

Not quite sure what you mean there? I'd love to know, because I too had major battery drain issues on my S5.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Co-worker got his Edge yesterday and let me dink with it today... I LOVE IT but...

LAAAG. Not trash talking the phone but I was VERY surprised to find out of the gate a very noticeable amount of lag. Very annoying and the phone wasnt even mine. He didnt have much apps on it and doesnt really tinker much with Android so I kind of ruled that out. I remember when I got my S5 I had lag but mostly during my marathon app downloading. This Edge though, I was just flipping through screens and browsing apps. Definitely discouraging.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
People, what you are describing about Android System draining battery is related directly to a couple of things that were also an issue to some with the S5, Location Services and Wifi Settings and is advance options are a couple of them.

Please, try what I suggested in my thread about the tips and tricks for te Galaxy S5 that I posted the link here and in the regular s6 forum. Turn off location reporting, check and then of the unneeded wifi settings that is always checking for the best signal between cell and wifi, remove unneeded bloat and I'm almost sure if so help all of you a lot with the battery drain.

I'd love to do this things myself and do the tests but I won't have my s6 edge until the 10th.

Very nice of you to post your suggestions and I saw your post on your S5 settings to optimize battery life but just can't live with many of them. Your 20% screen brightness is just way too low for me, turning off Location Settings ruins a lot of good Google features, and many of your other Settings just are too much of a compromise for me for what should be a good performing phone.

I'm coming from an iPhone 6 Plus that was 100% functional with high screen brightness, all Settings on, Bluetooth on, WiFi always on, etc. and battery life was phenomenal. I'm not expecting the S6 to beat the iPhone but at least play in the same general league, but it is looking like the S6 is roughly 1/2 of the battery life of the 6 Plus in real world usage if things continue to hold true.

I'm burning 4-5% per hour just in Standby on the S6 on WiFi which makes no sense at all, and all of the offending apps, according to GSAM, are system apps so it's not a third party app causing any of the battery life problems here as you noted above. I'm hoping that either things settle down after a few days or Samsung/Google have an update that can fix this but I'm seeing the same issues with the new HTC M9 as well from their forum.

Anyway, very kind of you to post clever ways to minimize battery drain but, at least for me, my $1000+ phone (with shipping and tax) needs to be 100% functional first and I just can't compromise down key features in the name of battery savings. It should be much better than it has been and that's the issue, at least for me.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
reduce all animations to .5x or 0 and you will notice an immediate difference, just like in any other Samsung and LG devices, animations doesn't help on your appreciation of a lag free device.
For this phone and what's under the hood...I shouldnt have to. Neither should anyone else.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Very nice of you to post your suggestions and I saw your post on your S5 settings to optimize battery life but just can't live with many of them. Your 20% screen brightness is just way too low for me, turning off Location Settings ruins a lot of good Google features, and many of your other Settings just are too much of a compromise for me for what should be a good performing phone.

I'm coming from an iPhone 6 Plus that was 100% functional with high screen brightness, all Settings on, Bluetooth on, WiFi always on, etc. and battery life was phenomenal. I'm not expecting the S6 to beat the iPhone but at least play in the same general league, but it is looking like the S6 is roughly 1/2 of the battery life of the 6 Plus in real world usage if things continue to hold true.

I'm burning 4-5% per hour just in Standby on the S6 on WiFi which makes no sense at all, and all of the offending apps, according to GSAM, are system apps so it's not a third party app causing any of the battery life problems here as you noted above. I'm hoping that either things settle down after a few days or Samsung/Google have an update that can fix this but I'm seeing the same issues with the new HTC M9 as well from their forum.

Anyway, very kind of you to post clever ways to minimize battery drain but, at least for me, my $1000+ phone (with shipping and tax) needs to be 100% functional first and I just can't compromise down key features in the name of battery savings. It should be much better than it has been and that's the issue, at least for me.

There's no way that's right. It would be a tough Pill to swallow if it was just 4hours SOT but I could see it. However, no way your phone should be dropping 5% per hour in standby. My S3 only drops 5-10% overnight (8-9 hours) and that's with WiFi, Bluetooth, data and everything turned on. And this is stock touchwiz without removing any bloat.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Google's Location Reporting is not needed for most of the normal stuff. If Google hasn't changed this, with leaving just Location History on, Google now and other apps work as expected.

The other settings that are related with Android system are the Smart Network switch in the wifi settings and in advanced settings (wifi) there is an option that is called Always allowed scanning that is on by default, if it's on the S6, disable it, it helps a lot with the Android system battery drain, all at least it did with the S5.

About the brightness there is nothing else to do if you don't get used to a lower settings, but according to what you are mentioning, it doesn't seem to be your brightness because it's standby that is causing it, at least that's what it seems.

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
There's no way that's right. It would be a tough Pill to swallow if it was just 4hours SOT but I could see it. However, no way your phone should be dropping 5% per hour in standby. My S3 only drops 5-10% overnight (8-9 hours) and that's with WiFi, Bluetooth, data and everything turned on. And this is stock touchwiz without removing any bloat.
I think he's talking about the s6 not the s3.

GWaLL13

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Google's Location Reporting is not needed for most of the normal stuff. If Google hasn't changed this, with leaving just Location History on, Google now and other apps work as expected.

The other settings that are related with Android system are the Smart Network switch in the wifi settings and in advanced settings (wifi) there is an option that is called Always allowed scanning that is on by default, if it's on the S6, disable it, it helps a lot with the Android system battery drain, all at least it did with the S5.

About the brightness there is nothing else to do if you don't get used to a lower settings, but according to what you are mentioning, it doesn't seem to be your brightness because it's standby that is causing it, at least that's what it seems.

It can be a tough one to decipher. I made some tweaks with my S5 and it made a huge difference with battery drain. Disabling s finder and quick connect were the first steps I took originally but with the lollipop update they reappeared on the notification panel, luckily it doesn't leach the battery. One of the other things I did was change my wallpaper to rich black. Even with 50% brightness, the drain is far slower. I turned animations off. Only turn on location when I need to use maps or an app like yelp. Disabling smart network as suggested above. Lastly I turn on power saving mode, but only certain functions are limited.

-via Android Central App on GWaLL's S5

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
My Edge was looking like it would be getting about 3.5 to 4 hours screen time per charge, which was a bit on the low side of what I was expecting. (Though given my usage habits it would definitely last a typical day so I wasn't too worried.) One thing I noticed was very high Cell standby percentage of anywhere from 12 to 20%, which should not be the case as I'm on wifi 50% of the time and in strong LTE signal area when I am not.

Yesterday I saw an update to ANT Radio Service and ANT+ plugins service come through and my Cell standby is down to 1%. Battery life is looking better too. I don't really care too much because I'm always tossing my phone onto a wireless charger as a matter of habit, but thought I'd mention that in case anyone else was seeing high Cell standby as it might be resolved now.

Cool Jeff, sound quality is quite good on wired headphones I'm using. It doesn't get quite as loud as my iPhone 6+, but sound quality is as good or better, and both volume/sound quality are better than on my nexus 6.

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I was having random stutters and freezes on my edge. I disabled the bundled amazon app, which kept crashing, and the stutter has yet to show up again.

The phone kept getting real hot randomly too... That has disappeared as well.

Just a observation.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I was having random stutters and freezes on my edge. I disabled the bundled amazon app, which kept crashing, and the stutter has yet to show up again.

The phone kept getting real hot randomly too... That has disappeared as well.

Just a observation.

That bundled Amazon uses 100mb of ram even if you have not clicked on it to open it, i got rid of that and i disabled Google + as that seemed to do the same. Also disabled the flipboard left panel, now i see zero stutter and no more heat towards the power button

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
My Edge was looking like it would be getting about 3.5 to 4 hours screen time per charge, which was a bit on the low side of what I was expecting. (Though given my usage habits it would definitely last a typical day so I wasn't too worried.) One thing I noticed was very high Cell standby percentage of anywhere from 12 to 20%, which should not be the case as I'm on wifi 50% of the time and in strong LTE signal area when I am not.

Yesterday I saw an update to ANT Radio Service and ANT+ plugins service come through and my Cell standby is down to 1%. Battery life is looking better too. I don't really care too much because I'm always tossing my phone onto a wireless charger as a matter of habit, but thought I'd mention that in case anyone else was seeing high Cell standby as it might be resolved now.

Cool Jeff, sound quality is quite good on wired headphones I'm using. It doesn't get quite as loud as my iPhone 6+, but sound quality is as good or better, and both volume/sound quality are better than on my nexus 6.

That is great to hear about the cell standby. Hopefully you will see improved battery life. Please update if you do.

orangemartini

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Original poster: Your first post talked about the phone getting hot. Are you still experiencing that? I am finding that my edge gets quite warm or downright hot sometimes, and I am questioning if this is normal. Where are you with that?

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Original poster: Your first post talked about the phone getting hot. Are you still experiencing that? I am finding that my edge gets quite warm or downright hot sometimes, and I am questioning if this is normal. Where are you with that?

I find the S6 edge getting hot at strange times, like in my pocket in Standby on my WiFi network (it can run up to 90 degrees just in Standby) so I'm thinking it may be related to the WiFi bug...it still gets hot every so often when it's chugging along doing a number of things at once but it seems that has settled down considerably after the first few days.

Incidentally, the WiFi bug (battery drain caused by "Cell Standby" when the phone is in Standby mode) is resolved by turning off WiFi completely (not just turning off T-Mobile WiFi calling) but, of course, having no WiFi is no solution so hopefully we see an update in very short order.

Under what circumstances are you feeling the edge warm/hot?

orangemartini

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
I find the S6 edge getting hot at strange times, like in my pocket in Standby on my WiFi network (it can run up to 90 degrees just in Standby) so I'm thinking it may be related to the WiFi bug...it still gets hot every so often when it's chugging along doing a number of things at once but it seems that has settled down considerably after the first few days.

Incidentally, the WiFi bug (battery drain caused by "Cell Standby" when the phone is in Standby mode) is resolved by turning off WiFi completely (not just turning off T-Mobile WiFi calling) but, of course, having no WiFi is no solution so hopefully we see an update in very short order.

Under what circumstances are you feeling the edge warm/hot?

I've tried to pin it down to a particular app or circumstance, but basically it's any random situation where I'm accessing data. Standby doesn't seem to apply, nor does offline gaming. I have seen the "cell standby" problem, that's related to wifi? I haven't tried turning wifi off. Can you tell me more about this wifi bug?

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar issue with my Note 4 when I first got it where it would feel warm to the touch even when I wasn't using it. The battery was also poor. It turned out to be a runaway app that was constantly accessing data. After I turned it off, it improved dramatically.
I really think your S6 Edge has a similar issue.
Also, it's really not fair to compare the battery life of the Edge vs the iPhone 6+ as it has a much bigger battery due to it's size.