Edge drop test comparisons

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
These two drop/slam tests couldn't be farther apart.
It's really hard to understand how the SAME phone can be gently dropped in the second one from 5 feet and get that jacked up and in the first video the girl is SLAMMING the poor phone on the hard floor and it is untouched.
I certainly wouldn't do either.
But it'd be good to know it can actually withstand a drop on a garage floor (happened more than once to my S4).
Also, I posted earlier about a water test where it was submerged 25 intentional minutes and finally gave up the fight. But, according to that video? We could drop it in a pool and grab it out and it's ok??
Although there are no guarantees on what a phone can do, it'd be good to know what it CAN withstand. My son's 5 has withstood some water on it and done fine. But, itt's advertised as 'waterproof'.
Back to these two very different videos of the same phones.
Apparantly the gravity is heavier in the dude's back yard than the gravity is in her office.
Or, the phone will be more forgiving if we all have nice nails.

Slam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8kVfBROq-E

Drop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QozCc2wX85U

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
It's called science and statistics and, well, other things "drop test" videos generally lack.

Posted via the Android Central App

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Once was dropped onto concrete, the other onto some sort of vinyl flooring, well it was thrown down hard 3 times. But why people buy $1000 devices to smash them I don't know. I certainly wouldn't.

smoledman

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
It's made out of glass, of course it's gonna shatter. Just like the iPhone 4/4S that had the glass back. Just don't drop it.

vegasdroid

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I've ordered one, still trying to decide on what kind of screen protector to use.
Me too, I've read that the Zagg one is no good. Not worth the money! So, I will head to Amazon and look for a better one. Once some of the better reviews come in.

Sent from my DROID MAXX!!!!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Its the simple reason why I put a case on my phone. It really doesn't take much to have the phone slip out of your hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech