S6 Edge - Screen rotation does not work properly

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Well thats why after 2 phones replaced i decided to drop my SAMSUNG and going to buy new IPHONE 7, i am tired of this nonsense....

The Iphone 6 and 6plus are out now! Go get it please!!!! You're not helping anyone here...dont wait for the Iphone 7, The Iphone 6s and 6s plus come out later this year...but I don't want you to wait that long, go to the apple store TONIGHT!!!

Last edited:

vladfan

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
So this morning I was using the Internet on my phone and I turned it and it rotated to landscape mode. The problem is that it gets stuck like that. I exited out of chrome and went back in and it was still in landscape mode. I even went into my photos and turned it to be in landscape and same thing.... It got stuck. I did a restart of the phone and it goes back to normal until you turn it then you are stuck again. I am now using the phone with auto rotate in the off mode. My camera also fixed itself. Not sure what is going on with this but I hope they fix it soon.

S6edge46220

May 29, 2015
Visit site
So this morning I was using the Internet on my phone and I turned it and it rotated to landscape mode. The problem is that it gets stuck like that. I exited out of chrome and went back in and it was still in landscape mode. I even went into my photos and turned it to be in landscape and same thing.... It got stuck. I did a restart of the phone and it goes back to normal until you turn it then you are stuck again. I am now using the phone with auto rotate in the off mode. My camera also fixed itself. Not sure what is going on with this but I hope they fix it soon.

See previous posts about determining if its a sensor failure or not.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jim Verville

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I received my Platinum/Gold 64 Gb S6 Edge from Verizon on May 19th. I've used a combination of charging options including wireless, non fast chargers, and limited use of the fast charger included with the phone. Yesterday, after having the phone for 11 days, the rotation failed to work. I called Samsung today and went through some basic rotation checking using the camera and was told the I have a hardware issue. The tech support lady told me that she would write up a trouble ticket and I could send the phone in for repair. Maybe 2 weeks turn around. I choose to go to the local Verizon store for a possible exchange. Of course they had no inventory for the phone I wanted. I ended up returning the phone and am now back to where i was before I made the initial purchase. I love the phone, but I need one that works properly. A functional accelerometer is imperative. I will wait for a while to see if Samsung fixes newly shipped phones.

S6edge46220

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I received my Platinum/Gold 64 Gb S6 Edge from Verizon on May 19th. I've used a combination of charging options including wireless, non fast chargers, and limited use of the fast charger included with the phone. Yesterday, after having the phone for 11 days, the rotation failed to work. I called Samsung today and went through some basic rotation checking using the camera and was told the I have a hardware issue. The tech support lady told me that she would write up a trouble ticket and I could send the phone in for repair. Maybe 2 weeks turn around. I choose to go to the local Verizon store for a possible exchange. Of course they had no inventory for the phone I wanted. I ended up returning the phone and am now back to where i was before I made the initial purchase. I love the phone, but I need one that works properly. A functional accelerometer is imperative. I will wait for a while to see if Samsung fixes newly shipped phones.

For what its worth, I've had mine over a month, fast charge only, and have had no issues. I think they have had some bad batches get out due to the unexpected demand for the Edge model.

Posted via the Android Central App

cruisencode

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
<snip>FYI check my android is an app that checks all your sensors. The accelerometer is what takes a crap by the way, all of my other sensors showed normal.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I wanted to comment on this. I installed this app the other day, in order to check my sensors, and I ended up having the "deep sleep" battery drain issue on my S6 edge. In the end, I had to do a FDR in order to resolve it. I cannot recommend that anyone install this app.

cmxcmx

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I was suffering from this problem--also clearly related to quick charge--until this morning. I tried the things suggested in this thread, and nothing worked. I updated the software on the phone through the system update function and the problem went away. This update was not available until the past day or two--I've been checking a lot.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I was suffering from this problem--also clearly related to quick charge--until this morning. I tried the things suggested in this thread, and nothing worked. I updated the software on the phone through the system update function and the problem went away. This update was not available until the past day or two--I've been checking a lot.
So you updated to VRU1A0D5 and your screen rotates?

Karen Hildebrand

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Update made my rotation work!! Im happy with the fix. apps, pix, websites, everything seems normal, but I know there with be those ***** cause its not fixed but patched over..but Im good with it.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Update made my rotation work!! Im happy with the fix. apps, pix, websites, everything seems normal, but I know there with be those ***** cause its not fixed but patched over..but Im good with it.
Can you check to see if your XY axis is still stuck using the CPU-Z app suggested a few posts back?

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Same here, Verizon's update "fixed" the rotation problem, I say "fixed" because when I open the camera and go into the settings and back to the camera the screen is sideways for about 2 or 3 seconds and then turns upright and everything is fine, my wife says she's good with it so I won't mess with it.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Same here, Verizon's update "fixed" the rotation problem, I say "fixed" because when I open the camera and go into the settings and back to the camera the screen is sideways for about 2 or 3 seconds and then turns upright and everything is fine, my wife says she's good with it so I won't mess with it.

Here's a question. Their "fix" may mask and hide the broken gyro for the screen rotation, but what about navigation and compass? You'd think that would still be screwed.

Posted via my Rooted LG G3 running DeneROM.

andya1942

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Sure glad this forum is here. Called Samsung and they pushed me over to Android to no avail. Landscape mode not working. Came here and read last messages and saw about he update so did the update and OK now no problem...

Rudy190

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
SOLVED

Glad the update worked for some. Not sure what that included but I too have been having the same issue for over a month. I finally sent my phone to Samsung this week. After getting notification that my repair was on hold due to an unavailable part, I called Samsung to ask about the ETA. It took me screaming to get to speak to highest level manager on the floor.

Found out it IS actually a hardware issue. They have to replace a chip in the phone (not remembering what she called it). She told me it is a known issue, and that they had a few phones there waiting for the same part. It was only affecting a limited number of phones from VZ and another carrier. My guess is they bought crappy chips from a third party supplier for said limited number of phones. In any case I was told it had nothing to do with 3rd party launchers or the OEM fast charger as some people have hypothesized in other threads. Phone was fixed today and hoping to get back this week.

If software fixed the issue then great. I am guessing they figured out a way to circumvent the faulty chip. Will be happy to get my phone back with the new part.

Rudy190

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Using a software "fix" to mask broken hardware is a disgraceful betrayal of trust.

Not sure if that's really the case other than to say mine was definitely a hardware issue not caused by anything I did. I tried everything else prior to this including hard resets, safe mode loading, using an app to determine if it could rotate etc, to no avail. I'm sure it's possible it is a little bit of both but I doubt we will ever get that confirmation.

As much of a pain this has been the edge is still my favorite phone.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if that's really the case other than to say mine was definitely a hardware issue not caused by anything I did. I tried everything else prior to this including hard resets, safe mode loading, using an app to determine if it could rotate etc, to no avail. I'm sure it's possible it is a little bit of both but I doubt we will ever get that confirmation.

As much of a pain this has been the edge is still my favorite phone.
If your accelerometer is fried (typically the case in models that won't rotate) then other apps that use the accelerometer won't work properly. The software uses the gyroscope instead but other apps that use the accelerometer will not function.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze