S6 edge Cell Standby Drain with WIFI on - Continued

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I posted this on the regular S6 forum but just in case people with edge are not going to the regular S6 forum I decided to post the same here.

I'm going to ask this again as it seems that every time I ask it gets buried under hundreds of new threads and sadly, most of those are asking the same.

Besides, turning off Smart Network and Scanning Always Available, both on Wifi Settings, and turning off Wifi Calling (turn it on only when needed) and VoLTE, can someone that still have the Cell Standby drain check your wifi settings? I mean, I have posted this a couple of times and just 1 have tried it (Almeuit) and confirmed today it was a lot better than before, but check if your Wifi router is 2.4 or 5Ghz, if you have both, just set your 2.4Ghz connection or force your phone to connect just to it. See what happens after a couple of hours.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I've been only on my 2.4Ghz network for the past 2 weeks and still have the standby drain, even with VoLTE and T-Mobile WiFi calling off. The standby drain magically disappears if I turn WiFi off completely and stay on LTE.

It's a great experiment, however, because I saw someone post that the drain stopped when they got off their 5Ghz network for some reason. Seems that T-Mobile and Samsung both acknowledge there is a bug somewhere, which is a good first step.

I actually suspect it's a WiFi bug, and not a VoLTE or WiFi calling bug, because GSAM shows abnormally high WiFi drain. I think the "Cell standby" indicator lumps in WiFi to 'real' cell standing by so it's a bit deceptive.

orangemartini

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
I posted this on the regular S6 forum but just in case people with edge are not going to the regular S6 forum I decided to post the same here.

I'm going to ask this again as it seems that every time I ask it gets buried under hundreds of new threads and sadly, most of those are asking the same.

Besides, turning off Smart Network and Scanning Always Available, both on Wifi Settings, and turning off Wifi Calling (turn it on only when needed) and VoLTE, can someone that still have the Cell Standby drain check your wifi settings? I mean, I have posted this a couple of times and just 1 have tried it (Almeuit) and confirmed today it was a lot better than before, but check if your Wifi router is 2.4 or 5Ghz, if you have both, just set your 2.4Ghz connection or force your phone to connect just to it. See what happens after a couple of hours.

Yes I made all those adjustments in settings and I also did a partition cache wipe in recovery mode. For me, this all magically cured the problem. The "Cell Standby" thing doesn't even show up on the battery usage anymore. The battery is doing great under normal use.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes I made all those adjustments in settings and I also did a partition cache wipe in recovery mode. For me, this all magically cured the problem. The "Cell Standby" thing doesn't even show up on the battery usage anymore. The battery is doing great under normal use.

I'm glad that it worked for you, but let me tell you is not "magic" instead everything that had been posted to be tried has a perfect explanation and logic behind it. In your case, I think that besides the changes on those settings that are proven to drain battery without any positive use, what is helping is the Wipe cache partition, that alone has helped to solve hundreds of unexplainable issues after software updates, just like the ones that most, if not all of our phones received the same day or a couple of days after you received te phone.

I'm just amazed that nobody seems to give it the importance it should, and who knows how many of you could have been fixed your issues already just by doing that, but like I've said a child of times already, I've done my part trying to help you it's on you if you want to try the suggestions or not.

Good to know, so who else wants to try this?

Last edited:

anon(9409134)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

I may have found a fix for at&t. Going into mobile data and turning off the enhanced data has fixed people's provlems. Also, booting into recovery mode and clearing the system cache (when you boot it it may say installing update) has also fixed some people's problem. If anybody else tries this, then let us know how it goes. I did these steps earlier today and will update later.

Posted via the Android Central App

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Reading the replies made me think that besides waiting for you to try this, it was a good idea to do the contrary on my end, changing my 2.4ghz wifi connections to 5ghz. So I did it, last night I did it at home and as soon as I arrived to the office I finally replaced the old Wifi with a Netgear Dual band that was waiting in the box to be installed, so obviously I set the 5ghz connection, I did the forget Wifi connection (old one) and established a new connection for the new one and I'm happy for me but sad in general that it seems that it's not just this.

I was at home all night, and after connecting to the 5ghz at home it just lost 4% of battery overnight and here at my office, for the past 3+ hours with the new router connection it's behavior is just like the past 5 days, great. So my conclusion is that it may be part of it but not just this.

tpence2177

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
How do I do that?? I feel stupid but what am I missing?
Don't worry I did too but go to the play store where you get your apps and check for updates and it should be there ready to update it does mention on the update notes that it fixes battery consumption issues so here's hope that it does!