best setup compilation

nikitathedog

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Can someone give me the best set up? I know this will be subject to opinions but im looking for a one stop thread where people recommend uninstalling/disabling what crappy apps, loading nova or keeping touchwiz....

I kind of want to get to the best set up out of the box the quickest without spending hours finding out I disabled the wrong app and I hate the one im on then have to go through settings all over.

Like maybe which voice search to keep, which calander, which mail service since im hearing there is a lot of duplication.

Kind of a cheat sheet????

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Can someone give me the best set up? I know this will be subject to opinions but im looking for a one stop thread where people recommend uninstalling/disabling what crappy apps, loading nova or keeping touchwiz....

I kind of want to get to the best set up out of the box the quickest without spending hours finding out I disabled the wrong app and I hate the one im on then have to go through settings all over.

Like maybe which voice search to keep, which calander, which mail service since im hearing there is a lot of duplication.

Kind of a cheat sheet????

This may give you something similar to what you are looking for. http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6/514137-adjustments-tips-tricks-maximize-battery-life-samsung-galaxy-s6-edge.html#post4349918

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Nova vs. TW is a personal choice. My wife loves TW and won't use anything but Samsung for that reason. One of the first things I do to any phone is put Nova into it.

The voice searches work differently, so some people prefer Samsung, some prefer Google.

Mail apps? I haven't found one that I like yet (and I started doing email back on Arpanet, so it's been a few decades of looking). K9 is about the closest I've found to what I like - so far. (I don't use any Exchange servers, so I don't know how well it does them.)

Don't delete system apps - once you have, and you find out that the phone won't work without that app, you have to reflash the ROM in most cases. Root the phone and freeze the app. Then, if it starts doing funny things, just unfreeze it. You can probably freeze all the carrier apps you don't use, the update app (unless you want to be one of the first ones to get the latest bugs) and any of the S- apps you don't use. (I have no use for the S Health stuff, so it's gone.)

If the phone works for a while with an app frozen, it's probably safe to uninstall that app.

But which ones to keep and which ones to get rid of? If you do a run every morning, you're going to want S Health. I don't. I don't need a pulse app either because I take my BP and pulse every day anyway, on a different device. You may want to keep it. Everyone's different. Make a list of the apps you don't use and, when you have about half your storage used, start freezing things you don't need. (Having the app installed doesn't cost anything but storage, so unless you need the space there's no reason to start getting rid of apps.)

Edit:
I'll add 2 things to erasat's post in the other thread:

1) There's no need to mass-disable apps. If you use Skype, keep it enabled. It won''t use battery by itself. Lookout should always be disabled in a Samsung device (it should actually uninstalled - replace it with another antivirus app) - there's a bug in it that will kill your battery fast unless security is disabled, which pretty much renders the app useless.

2) To keep your battery as long as possible (this is no $15, pop the back off, battery replacement phone), read The Care and Feeding of Lithium Polymer Batteries. When you have batteries still giving you 95% capacity on a phone so old it's basically an "if I lose it I'll replace it from Craig's List for $20" phone, you'll understand how long batteries can be made to last. (My V551 is still running on its OEM batteries, It was one of the first phones to have a camera.)