Uses of Edge

mdcraig

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, quick question about the Edge here. I finally went to the store and had one in my hands. I think its really cool tech, but I'm having a hard time seeing the usefulness of having it as opposed to a flat screen, outside of the "cool" factor. So I pose the question to Edge owners, what can it do that makes it worth buying?

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Nothing truly revolutionary outside of what you already mentioned, the eye candy, and very minor list of perks using the edge screen for notifications.

The 'cool factor' is the underlining difference. If that's not enough for you, then it just isn't enough apparently. In my case, the regular S6 wasn't enough for me to upgrade from the S5. In a case...it would practically look and handle no different than what I was coming from. With the edge though, the looks really made me go outside of the normal encasing for protection as it's sexy look twisted my arm to go with a minimal profile Samsung clear case and use more caution when handling it. It's that snazzy to me. Can't cover up all that sexiness....it's an injustice to the device. :p

The GS6 Edge looks very different than what I've been using for the past several years since smartphones were introduced with the dual edge screen. That warranted the buy, the regular S6 didn't. And well...the Note Edge with only one, albeit larger, edged side....just looks like a niche product whereas the GS6 Edge looks like a modern device in a class of it's own.

orangemartini

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
I agree with everything Raf said. While I like the night clock and the easy access to top 5 contacts, that's not at all why I bought this phone. It looks stunning when it's off and when it's on, the display "pops" and has a depth to it that makes me never want a flat screen again. It's just gorgeous and really fun to own and use. Every time I pick it up, turn it on, I'm like "wow!" That sense of fun and excitement makes the extra hundred totally worth it to me. I can't remember ever being this excited about a new phone...

Having said all that, I have noticed that the phones don't "show" as well in stores, tied down and obstructed with cables so you can't really hold them properly... it's just not the same as having your own device in your hand all set up with your favorite wallpaper.

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
I agree, the edges aren't really super functional yet. It's mainly cosmetic. It feels great in the hand, scrolling around just gives a lot of satisfaction with the curves. It will be interesting to see what added functionality developers will add software wise though. One developer already added a top "application edge" like people edge.

nikitathedog

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Ok I like the edge for it's looks. I kind of thought it would do something better but I'm wishing for more. The few things it does are just ok with the exception of being able to turn the clock on at night as I leave it on the table.

The quick access to the contacts to me is hit or miss.

The cool light I kind of wish for more. When the phone sits on the table in the down position it is hard to see. It blinks a few times and that is it. A ticked or notificatio , I don't get those For what ever reason even though I have notifications on.

Missed called I was hoping for more. It does leave a sliver of color on the edge to indicate one of your top five called. The text message missed also shows as a sliver of color that you can flick open. However the indicator light still does a better job that something happened.

I'm not downing the s6 edge in hopes of some cooler stuff to come. It is just not all that cracked up to be with the exception that it makes it a lot cooler than what is out there.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
It may not be as useful, but its also not the same old design. There are a few tweaks that benefit users. For me it wasn't really about the cool effect but its the only 128GB option from AT&T right now, and I would have preferred the S6 regular but I want storage above all else.

nikitathedog

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
It may not be as useful, but its also not the same old design. There are a few tweaks that benefit users. For me it wasn't really about the cool effect but its the only 128GB option from AT&T right now, and I would have preferred the S6 regular but I want storage above all else.

Don't know if att does but they do sell a 128 gb s6....I have seen it as an option with verizon. Then again I don't know if it is even out yet. I haven't been following it.

I got my edge 128 gb. Currently I have 107 free out of 112 it says, so you loose like 8gb to the operating system to start.

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I find the Edge eaiser to use one handed than the flat S6. Easier for thumb to glide across, vs up and over a 90 degree L shaped border.

I was up until 2am last night playing with this thing. This positively 10/10 combination of glass and metal "pop" is the WOW feeling that was absent when I first came into Android via Sony Z1.

The flip wallet case just adds big % to utility of Edge. No accidental screen on when closed. When open you see card notifications with attenuated light. Great substitute for active display via my now former Moto X 2014. You also see the genius of downfiring speaker when using this case.

Feel in hand made me happy to shell out extra $100. The sharper metal edges really help with ease of one handed use. Oh and that screen......

Posted via the Android Central App

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Cool factor at the moment, for sure. But I'm confident that in the not too distant future, Samsung and/or third party developers will add some killer features to the edge...it has so much potential!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Don't know if att does but they do sell a 128 gb s6....I have seen it as an option with verizon. Then again I don't know if it is even out yet. I haven't been following it.

I got my edge 128 gb. Currently I have 107 free out of 112 it says, so you loose like 8gb to the operating system to start.

AT&T will be offering the S6 128GB just when is teh question, could be days, weeks or longer. No date and I needed to get a phone asap, so I opted to get the Edge and will simply roll with it. S7 next year I will be able to wait for a 128GB version then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2