Annoying Whatsapp notifications.

nikelegends

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi first post and with my first android phone, galaxy s6 edge. Still trying to figure out a few things but there's one thing driving me insane, notifications on whatsapp. I have the settings within the app to show no popup notification. However I noticed this morning if I had the screen on anything other than whatsapp. I'd get an icon as a heads up notification of whoever sent me the message then when that disappeared a little whatsapp logo would appear on the top bar. Then later on today the person or group icon has now changed so it shows me the message as a heads up notification even though I have popup settings set to off within the app. Now these heads up display notifications are annoying because you either go to the app or dismiss it completely and hope to remember it later. Any ideas guys. I managed to get screenshots but hopefully someone will be able to help first. I also noticed that my phone and keyboard stopped making sounds even though all settings where set to on and my phone was on loud? Help would be much appreciated. Thanks

nikelegends

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Here are a couple of screenshots to show. The happens even with popup set to off within app settings and priority isn't turn on either. Also I have no idea how it changed from an icon to an icon with message..

Attachments

• 1430065841782.jpg
    1430065841782.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 1430065860990.jpg
    1430065860990.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 79

GWaLL13

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
What are your notification settings within the app? Are popups enabled?

Via the Android Central App on my S6 Edge

GWaLL13

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
So after digging I've learned it's a feature in lollipop. I found this suggestion :

It's part of Lollipop's new notification cards. If you don't want them to show up in other apps, you can use the Settings > Sound & notifications > Interruptions to turn them off. Use the When calls and notifications arrive setting to change to Always interrupt / Allow only priority interruptions / Don't interrupt.

nikelegends

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I presume from interruptions you mean do not disturb? Will give it a try anyway! Until the release android 5.1 where you can swipe them up but keep notifications or if it's a bug with whatsapp? The other thing I've noticed is when the screen is off and a notification comes in it doesn't light the screen up to show it apart from calls and sms

nikelegends

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
I might try a factory reset. That's the only thing I can think of now. I don't know how it changed from just the icon to ones with the message but I can't put it back again now 😑

GWaLL13

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I researched this further. Apparently it is lollipop that causes this notification annoyance and the only option is to cancel app notifications for those apps all together in the app manager. You'll still see a notification dot on the app icon itself but the phone won't vibrate or ring or even give you anything in pull down notifications.

Via the Android Central App on my S6 edge

ilordvader

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So after digging I've learned it's a feature in lollipop. I found this suggestion :

It's part of Lollipop's new notification cards. If you don't want them to show up in other apps, you can use the Settings > Sound & notifications > Interruptions to turn them off. Use the When calls and notifications arrive setting to change to Always interrupt / Allow only priority interruptions / Don't interrupt.

I don't see this Option - Interruptions to turn them off ?

HushDev

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Shameless plug and a request for your help!

I wrote Hush.Ninja to solve the problem of annoying WhatsApp notifications. HOWEVER... I am an independent developer so don't have access to lovely new devices like the Galaxy S6 Edge. If anyone would be prepared to help me test and see if it solves this problem, I'd be super-grateful.

You can find Hush.Ninja in the Google Play store.

t23augusto

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Guys is there any way to go back to the old top bar notifications and not the big ones that drops down over the content as shown in the PrintScreen up here?

Mabohlokoa

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
I am not happy with being the second party reading my whatsapp as it pops up on the screen whenever I receive the message. How can I do to prevent this?

May 1, 2017
Visit site
Nike.... I really want to hug you....... I really face this problem...... Worst thing from a famous app.... This is high time to go for an another option.... wahtsapp decline

Meanwhile i watch youtube this ******* notificatioN cover my screen...... I got angry and hitted my mobile on the wall!

mujtaba1

Banned
Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
Android Lollipop, introduced an array of new features and aesthetics that pleased many loyal users. One of those additions being the new heads-up notifications. Taking subtle inspiration from iOS, these notifications are visually appealing and can be easily dismissed or expanded, but they do require that you take an action before they go away immediately. Of course, you can always wait 10 seconds for them to disappear, but that can be really annoying if you're in the middle of a game or editing a photo.

Unfortunately, there's no setting that lets you dictate how notifications will come in. On an iPhone, you can choose either Alerts, Banners, or None, but in Android Lollipop, it's heads-up or no notifications at all.

But this is Android we're talking about, so when Google misses a beat, a developer is usually there to fix it, which is exactly what Jawomo's new app does. Lollipop users can still receive their notifications without the interruption of obtrusive heads-up alerts, much like the old-style ticker notifications we had on KitKat. And unlike other methods of disabling these notifications, Jawomo's app doesn't require root-level access.

Do tell me after its done>

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae