Reports on 5.1.1 update for S6 edge T-Mobile

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
And there are officially more 5.1.1 T-Mobile S6 Edge users as the ROM created with the dumped files from the original user were legit. The new ROM created and uploaded is already on some other devices. So guys, sit tight , soon we should the official OTA update for all T-Mobile edge users and I'm sure regular S6 too, How soon? Well that's a very good question. But it seems to be fully working as an official update should be.

I'm guessing that T-Mobile been the first one that launched them and began receiving al the complaints about cell Standby battery drain forced somehow that Samsung moved ahead their scheduled 5.1.1 release date and somehow managed to get the approved Samsung version weeks ago and they began doing their part immediately after that, resulting in this very fast and totally unexpected 5.1.1 version been ready even before Nexus devices.

To me that could be just good news as again, I'm guessing that this prompt release, even when is not ready for OTA update for the rest of us, just mean that they may have fixed those drains bugs fixed and want to have it available as soon as possible to avoid more returns and unhappy customers. Or maybe it's just a beta version that got leaked somehow and we are still months away from seeing the final build. Let's see what happens.

If you want to follow the development of this, just go to the thread here. 5.1.1 ota rollout - Pg. 11 | T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge | XDA Forums

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There are already a couple of devs cooking new 5.1.1 roms with the dumped files and one had already been done, compressed and in the process of upload, so yes, it's legit.

For now they are mixing the previous bootloader with the new files so it doesn't get locked, but other than that everything's in order, so the guy was really telling the truth just like he showed with his initial picture and then the video. There will be a lot of Nexus users very angry about it as there are still no official 5.1.1 update to them yet. Samsung and T-Mobile seem to be in a roll lately, at least related to the S6 and S6 Edge.
Not sure why nexus users should care what software a different phone does or doesn't have, let alone be angry about it. There isn't a competition, it's a team.

Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why nexus users should care what software a different phone does or doesn't have, let alone be angry about it. There isn't a competition, it's a team.

Agreed about not been a competition, that's how it's suppose to be, but in reality it has never been like that. Every time a device gets an update there are always complaints and comparisons between Nexus devices and the rest, mostly Motorola, apparently simply Human Nature.

Lil21kev

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Still no confirmation anyone has gotten it. Nothing this morning on my Tmo edge and I've been refreshing that thing till nausea

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Still no confirmation anyone has gotten it. Nothing this morning on my Tmo edge and I've been refreshing that thing till nausea

It seems more and more that it was just a fluke, somebody entered the wrong IMEI to the system and allowed the Update for that device, my theory is that T-Mobile just tried beginning with the testing phase and this guy's IMEI was entered by mistake and he just managed to download it and do the update before they retracted it.

But, because of that there are already a bunch of T-Mobile's S6 edge devices with 5.1.1 as the ROM that was created with the Dumped file systems is good, people installing it are saying that it's an Official release, and everything's seems to be running as expected on an Official OS update. So for those that doesn't matter the Knox tripping, loss of Samsung Pay and possible Warranty issues because of that, they can install a Custom Recovery and then flash the new 5.1.1 rom and are already on latest Android Rom available.

For those of you brave enough, here it's the link.

Last edited:

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

Problem I had with my Nexus 9 was that it as advertised on google's own website to receive updates first. (nexus line up).
Turns out to be nothing more than false advertising.

Nexus devices get the latest Android OS updates first, so you have a superior software experience.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
This is a promising occurrence, but not one I would consider a widespread rollout. Now if this was AT&T or Verizon I would be floored, but perhaps T-Mobile was chosen do to specific issues like Wi-Fi calling and cell standby battery drain.

I would like to think we could get the update by summer, but not pinning anything on it. While one could say the fact that OEM's tinker with the OS being the reason carriers test it, I call BS on that. The carriers add and remove crap, add their crapware and remove features that should NOT be removed so that causes issues with the OS. I don't see why OEM's can't make their skins more of an overlay or launcher and just leave Android alone, find ways to integrate features that are specific to their devices, require them to find specific added code to work etc. This would allow for a faster update and happier customers.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
This is a promising occurrence, but not one I would consider a widespread rollout. Now if this was AT&T or Verizon I would be floored, but perhaps T-Mobile was chosen do to specific issues like Wi-Fi calling and cell standby battery drain.

I would like to think we could get the update by summer, but not pinning anything on it. While one could say the fact that OEM's tinker with the OS being the reason carriers test it, I call BS on that. The carriers add and remove crap, add their crapware and remove features that should NOT be removed so that causes issues with the OS. I don't see why OEM's can't make their skins more of an overlay or launcher and just leave Android alone, find ways to integrate features that are specific to their devices, require them to find specific added code to work etc. This would allow for a faster update and happier customers.

Couldn't agree more...I've been saying this for a LONG time!!! It would allow all phones to update at once to the latest Android OS version like Apple does.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Isn't that what HTC is trying to do with releasing their apps via Play Store instead of integrating it into OTA carrier versions.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
So far only the rare GS6 Edge on T-Mobile I have heard of no others. I believe Samsung is doing some testing to address the issues with 5.0, and maybe Google should delay their OS launches if the 5.0 had a major memory leak and push out a better one. Google should be demanding that the big updates be pushed out, but that will never happen.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
ITS HERE HERE WELL AT LEAST IN MY PHONE DOWN HERE IN PUERTO RICO galaxy 6 edge 5.1.11 nope im not kidding at all

Come on man, don't do this, I'm too from Puerto Rico, there's no special treatment for us, if it's true that you have 5.1.1, just post screenshots and provide more information about it.

Here we just have T-mobile, AT&T and Sprint and none of them has officially released 5.1.1, the other 2 non-American carriers, Claro and Open Mobile, they mosyly use European devices, specially Claro, or may be possible but highly improbable due to their updates history, that one of those 2 using European devices may get the update before the rest, but come on, if you indeed has it, prove it.

Last edited:

koreaa30

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I've been reading rumors about how T-Mobile will be the lasts ones to get the 5.1.1 update. I just want them to fix the damn memory leak issue. It's annoying as hell.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy