Edge eating data while connected to wifi

jfred1970

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Is anyone else having this problem? Verizon rep set my S6 edge up at the store and used a ridiculous amount of data doing so. I didn't realize until later on when I got home that while the phone is connected to wifi it is also using 4G. The wifi arrows move and the 4G is lit and the arrows underneath also move and waste my data. Verizon could not find the answer. Technical support had me shut off every option that could be causing this to happen -- download booster, smartswitch etc and nothing worked. My only option is to go into settings and manually shut off the mobile data when I am on wifi which is inconvenient and annoying and costly if I forget. The phone was replaced and deemed defective by Verizon and replaced with another. The new edge does the same thing and Verizon and Samsung can not give me an answer as to why. Any thoughts?

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I know there is that "download boost" feature that allows ur phone to use WiFi to "assist" with downloads, but it's still mostly using data? Something along those lines. Worth a shot to Check it out.

Posted via the Android Central App

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Is smart switch on? Its designed to switch between wifi ane data whichever is stronger. When WiFi is on go into the WiFi settings and click more. Then click smart switch to check.

Now that I reread your post, I see you said you tried it. Buy did you try it on the replacement phone?
uploadfromtaptalk1430880080547.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge via the Uncarrier

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Also VoLTE. I don't know if verizon uses that, or if they charge data for it but it's worth a look..

Posted via the Android Central App

txladi29

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Att and it does the same thing. Have your tried disabling auto updates of apps via Google play Store? I've noticed that all if my apps are set download update when on wifi. This could be it.

Trisha Ray-Saulis

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Is anyone else having this problem? Verizon rep set my S6 edge up at the store and used a ridiculous amount of data doing so. I didn't realize until later on when I got home that while the phone is connected to wifi it is also using 4G. The wifi arrows move and the 4G is lit and the arrows underneath also move and waste my data. Verizon could not find the answer. Technical support had me shut off every option that could be causing this to happen -- download booster, smartswitch etc and nothing worked. My only option is to go into settings and manually shut off the mobile data when I am on wifi which is inconvenient and annoying and costly if I forget. The phone was replaced and deemed defective by Verizon and replaced with another. The new edge does the same thing and Verizon and Samsung can not give me an answer as to why. Any thoughts?

Mine has done it after the first month. With my iPhones, I didnt even use up my 1gb of data. I am disabled and can't leave my house. I am ALWAYS on wifi... and when I say I can't leave my house, I mean I am lucky to get out more than twice a month for an hour or two. No stores. No walks down the street. Nothing. USCellular just told me that I use uo my data within 8 days of getting it, where with my iPhone I couldn't use it up if I tried. All of the things that use up data on the phone, still use up data. I suspect it is actually an issue with this internet browser, but samsung doesn't allow you to disable it or uninstall it and use another. I wonder why. I will never purchase another Samsung phone as long as I live after this. I no longer trust this company. Too bad too because the phone build itself is brilliant. Their apps are also responsible for making some calls from your phone with you unaware, taking photos and videos from your phone with you unaware (a not so uncommon practice... any tech geek will tell you they cover their cameras) amd apps can do other things that cost you money including hacking your credit cards. Samsung is not protecting its customers from viscious app manufacturers. So I had to research known problems for each app. SIMs cards have proven useless. I have purchased three. All wound up corrupt and I don't use my phone for any thing that should cause that. Having it happen once is understandible. It happens with email or bad apps... again, no protection there, which was my case, but three times? It has rendered that feature useless to me. I refuse to keep buying cards. They are not cheap. Samsungs other products are catching fire. I was not happy with Apple's continual disreguard of its customers, but I never had even half the trouble with their products as I am having with this one. Extremely disappointed and frustrated. This is a $700+ phone. There should be NO issues. This is completely uncalled for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34