Auto focus on camera launch

blz2

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else have a severe focus delay when launching the camera?? It takes my camera (& gf's) about 10 seconds to focus. It's like the camera is set on macro when it opens.

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Is it only at launch? Afterwards you have no issues? I don't own an S6 but a friend does and he doesn't seem to have that problem. HOWEVER, a lot of T-Mobile Note 4's (mine included) had an autofocus issue that was hardware related. I exchanged mine after a month and the replacement worked just fine. Maybe the unit you have has a similar problem?

blz2

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Is it only at launch? Afterwards you have no issues? I don't own an S6 but a friend does and he doesn't seem to have that problem. HOWEVER, a lot of T-Mobile Note 4's (mine included) had an autofocus issue that was hardware related. I exchanged mine after a month and the replacement worked just fine. Maybe the unit you have has a similar problem?

I just tested it to see if it was different once the app was open. It's a longer delay if the camera app isn't in Recent apps, but only a slight change if closed. I got my phone on launch day so maybe the first batch has issues. It's annoying since the camera launches so fast (and that's a big part of their ads). Then just to wait for it to focus

Brandon
Samsung Galaxy S6 edge

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If it is noticeable I'd say you're better off getting a replacement. It shouldn't take long to autofocus, and on mine it started with just taking long to autofocus to eventually not being to focus at all on infinity.

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
I've noticed it takes a bit of time focus in low light (or sometimes not even until you tap it) but in normal lighting it focuses right away.

TANDC

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Just tried it both with home button launch, using Google Now launch and camera app all open instant and focus is fine.

blz2

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to record it tonight so you guys can see the actual delay & tell me if it's excessive

Brandon
Samsung Galaxy S6 edge

blz2

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed it takes a bit of time focus in low light (or sometimes not even until you tap it) but in normal lighting it focuses right away.

It has the same delay in bright sunlight, tapping to focus

Brandon
Samsung Galaxy S6 edge

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
All signs point to hardware. What I'd do is, if possible, get another S6 Edge and try it side by side. Go to BestBuy or your carrier store if no other friends have one. That way you'll know. But yeah, like a fellow ambassador said, if this is a new device and it's giving you trouble, don't chance it, just exchange it before the rufurbs are available (early stages you are more certain to get a new device as a warranty exchange than a refurb).