Why is my Gallery showing no items?

A

AC Question

Gallery - No Items

Hi,

I have come to go into the gallery on my S6E today and it is suddenly showing 'No Items'?

The photos are still on the phone as I can see them in file explorer but the gallery app doesn't seem to want to see them!

I have tried clearing the cache of the gallery app and also restarting the media scanning service and also rebooting but nothing seems to work.

Thanks
Paul

CCPlatt

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Gallery - No Items

I, too, "suddenly" no longer have all the photos - and folders - that were in the stock Gallery (though they're still in file storage).
I'm on a Note4... in addition, all my assigned ringtones disappeared - and the path in Contacts no longer allows me to even access them (though the music files are also still in file storage).
I believe that these aggravating changes occurred when the "Lollipop" update loaded in?
I've had a Samsung tech remotely acess my phone; I've been to a Best Buy "Samsung Experience" desk (and an AT&T store); I've spent an inordinate amount of time browsing help forums - and the concensus has been that I should just "nuke & re-pave"...
... an option that I'd really like to avoid!
In the course of my amateur-tech thinking, I've become suspicious that any or all of the following may have something to do with this hijacking: Multimedia UI Service Layer,*Google Play Music - and the aforementioned Lollipop update.

Posted via the Android Central App

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

You both seem to have somehow activated the .nomedia hide action, again, I mean, if you don't know what this is, then logic tells me that it may not as simple as this, but what you are describing is exactly what happens when you create a blank file and put it in the folders where the pictures, videos or music are stored, this tells the device to not show those files in any Media manager app.

pdobs1

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I was the op (just registered now so I can reply).

I've not intentionally activated a .nomedia 'function'. I've clicked to show hidden files and cannot find a .nomedia file in any of my pictures or DCIM folder, also tried searching and cannot find anything :'(

Thanks
Paul

CCPlatt

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

Erasat - thank you!!! It worked like a charm; I went to My Files/Device Storage, and there it was - ".nomedia"... I deleted it, and both gallery and the ringtones returned.
May someone today bring you the happiness you've brought me!

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Erasat - thank you!!! It worked like a charm; I went to My Files/Device Storage, and there it was - ".nomedia"... I deleted it, and both gallery and the ringtones returned.
May someone today bring you the happiness you've brought me!

Glad it worked, maybe the OP now look for the same than you as he mentioned that he looked in the Pictures or DCIM folders but not in the main directory.

What amazes me the most is that you went to Best Buy to the "Samsung experience" guys and AT&T and nobody could have told you this, wow.

Last edited:

CCPlatt

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

It does boggle the mind - and, imho even worse - the Samsung tech that dialed INTO my phone didn't know about it!
Thanks again...

larvic

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
My Galaxy S5 suddenly is showing no files on my phone....even though I can clearly see videos and photos. Someone suggested that the nomedia hide action may have been activated. So how do you UNactivate it?

Joanna Huggins

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
Hey i wish there were more replies to this... First off i gotta know does this person have a doubting spouse or other.... Cause i have the same issue and i know for fact my account was hacked. So now gotta get new phone again and never ever sign into any old gmail google account. I have never linked my phone to anything and never signed in my google accounts on anything other then my phone then new phobe then new phone. So.. Can someone tell me how. I keep gettin hacked when i do every security thing recomended...

Pamdaminium

May 12, 2017
Visit site
I apologize for the late reply. I'm sure you've already gotten that problem fixed, so this is for those who are still having the same problems. I had this problem on my S5 as well, the same as mr. larvic here. So what I did was, go to 'My Files' and search for '.nomedia' without the dot or with it, doesn't matter. Then slowy start deleting all of them, should you have as many as I did. I learned it from this post, by reading CCPlatt's post.

So there you have it. No third-party apps of any sort.
You're most welcome,
Pamela.

Jhekazheenism

Aug 26, 2017
Visit site

I have the same problem with you guys i also delete all .nomedia files but still it didnt work, so i work around and find out that my media storage application(system apps) is disable. Just enable it work like a charm.

Doolly

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
hello every one. had the same trouble of loosing photos from gallery, I suspected that during the course of deleting or disabling apps that I don't use may have caused my problem and was searching your posts for a solution. I did find. .nomedia files but they were 0kb's. then I checked the list of disabled apps and noticed that the media storage app was disabled. re-enabled and got all my pictures and videos back into my gallery. hope this helps others.

Akcbrandy2

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site

me too as my gallery had once over 1500 photos, then they disappeared starting all over again, and Google photos have many of them but gallery is different separating screenshots, different folders, and depending who answers the phone with Samsung tech support, maybe from Google photos you can duplicate many into the gallery?