No Capital letter when starting a text??

Chipster86

May 30, 2015
Visit site
it's a really small minor but it bugs the he'll outta me that I have to press the shift button before I type a text in order to have a capital letter. it is pretty retarded that the message doesn't do it automatically like the iPhone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you using the stock Messaging app? Does text auto-capitalize the first word of a sentence elsewhere? If not, go to Settings>Language & Input, select your keyboard's settings, and look for the Auto-Capitalize option. Make sure it's turned on.

layla1994_vlb

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you using the stock Messaging app? Does text auto-capitalize the first word of a sentence elsewhere? If not, go to Settings>Language & Input, select your keyboard's settings, and look for the Auto-Capitalize option. Make sure it's turned on.

Thank you do much!!!!! I did not know how to fix this issue ♡♡♡♡♡

MychBoj

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site

Hey - having same problem but my auto capitalise is on... any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you also have an S6 edge? Are you using Samsung Keyboard? Does it happen with any other keyboard apps?

Jillian Reilly

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
I also have this issue but when I check in Language and Input I don't have an option for Keyboard settings. It just says physical and virtual keyboards. I don't know what to do!

ReneT

Jul 6, 2017
Visit site
The same happens to me. The issue is there is always an automatic space before typing which causes the first letter to be lowercase. Everytime I have to backspace to get an uppercase. VERY ANNOYING! How can this be fixed? I've had multiple issues wth this phone! Never had one issue with my Note5.

Other issues - VERY ANNOYING
1. Random dashes in my sentences.
2. Voice to text works sometimes, but not every time.

Holly Parsons

Jul 7, 2017
Visit site
I also have this issue but when I check in Language and Input I don't have an option for Keyboard settings. It just says physical and virtual keyboards. I don't know what to do!

For Samsung galaxy s7's -
If you open your keyboard (as it to type a message) and click the little bottom to the left of your space bar - hold this button down...

When you hold it down it will display some options including a Cog (settings) icon - click this.

When this is opened it will give you options to customise your keyboard including auto-capitalizing letters ??????

aburrell

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
The same happens to me. The issue is there is always an automatic space before typing which causes the first letter to be lowercase. Everytime I have to backspace to get an uppercase. VERY ANNOYING! How can this be fixed? I've had multiple issues wth this phone! Never had one issue with my Note5.

I am having this exact same issue with the space on new messages. Galaxy s8

Gnommi

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site

Same thing happening on my new S8. Adds a space, so I don't get a capital. So annoying!

CariJak

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
My husband and I both have S7s, and it just started adding this space a couple of months ago. I turned the auto capitalization off, then back on - And that fixed it for about two hours. Clearly they need a fix for this.

haqqy

Apr 19, 2019
Visit site

I can't find the auto-capatalize setting on my phone...Can you maybe help me locate it? I have a Samsung Galaxy S10e

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which keyboard app are you using? Different keyboard apps might have somewhat different settings menus. I use Gboard, and in its settings, Auto-Capitalization is under the Text Correction category.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20