Why are my S6 edge messages app freezing/slow?

lecart

May 31, 2015
Visit site
S6 edge - messages app keeps freezing/slow

Hi there,

I got the Edge a month ago. I transferred across from an iPhone - using the Smart Switch app to transfer all of my data across as well.
Since the transfer, the messaging app freezes, becomes unresponsive or is incredibly slow (especially in text threads with a lot of messages in this). This means that the keyboard freezes, words/letters won't appear for a while after they have been typed, sometimes the keyboard doesn't appear at all, and the messages thread takes a long time to update.

What can I do about this? How can I stop my messages app freezing so often? I really enjoy the edge, but the fact that I can't message properly (or that it freezes/is so slow) is ruining the phone for me.

Thanks,
lecart

dgh1981

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: S6 edge - messages app keeps freezing/slow

The s6 has a memory leak bug which should be fixed soon with some patches. Try rebooting your phone daily. You can also clear data in your keyboard settings. That can help.

Posted via the Android Central App

May 3, 2015
Visit site

The s6 has a memory leak bug which should be fixed soon with some patches. Try rebooting your phone daily. You can also clear data in your keyboard settings. That can help.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rebooting is the only thing that helps. I tried app killer, bit out made it worse.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Hi there,

I got the Edge a month ago. I transferred across from an iPhone - using the Smart Switch app to transfer all of my data across as well.
Since the transfer, the messaging app freezes, becomes unresponsive or is incredibly slow (especially in text threads with a lot of messages in this). This means that the keyboard freezes, words/letters won't appear for a while after they have been typed, sometimes the keyboard doesn't appear at all, and the messages thread takes a long time to update.

What can I do about this? How can I stop my messages app freezing so often? I really enjoy the edge, but the fact that I can't message properly (or that it freezes/is so slow) is ruining the phone for me.

Thanks,
lecart

Try first going to Settings-Application Manager and in the All tab look for your Message app and Clear the cache (not data) if it doesn't help, power off your device and press and hold Power, Home and Volume up buttons until you see the Android robot, wait until you see the options and follow the screen instructions on how to browse in there, do a Wipe Cache Partition and then Reboot.

I'd strongly suggest to consider a third party app for your SMS if you have a huge amount of messages and the default app is already misbehaving. Textra for me is the best one, easy, a lot of features and very customizable, it was totally free until last month, now the free version has ads and you can pay . 99 for the full version. Best thing is that you can pay the dollar, try it and if it does the same you have a couple of hours (I don't know if it changed to a day or so) to get a refund.

Last edited:

iFrosty

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Trouble with transferring things across devices is that you are more susceptible to things like crashes.

Do what erasat said first.

I don't use the stock messaging app so i can't give you much advice on it. (If you were wondering Textra is the app I use for SMS/MMS)

judemcenerny

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Similar issue for me. Switched from iphone and brought a long imessage thread with me. the sluggishness only happens on this thread. my wife and i both made the switch from iphone and brought our thread over, and we both have this problem, just on our thread.
i'm a sw engineer, and i think "full table scan...really?" this is basic stuff.
i also cringe whenever i read suggestions to clear various caches as a fix to performance. A cache properly implemented IS a performance fix. Clearing a cache should result in a temporary REDUCTION in performance, as the cache repopulates. I can't help but wonder what the average experience level of the Samsung developer is.

Kyle Bartosch

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I had same exact experience with a long thread, although it affected all of my texts. Textra has fixed the issue, thank god because I was about to smash the phone into smithereens before too much longer :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza