Samsung S6 Edge heats to 116 deg. when using 2015 GMC Yukon Denali wireless charger, how can I stop this?

Mark Johnstone

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Samsung S6 edge heats to 116 deg. when using 2015 GMC Yukon Denali wireless charger

Does anyone have the Samsung S6 Edge design specification temperature ranges for wireless charging?

GM dealer says it's normal for their wireless charger to heat phone to 140 degrees during wireless charging, my home wireless charging mats do not cause the phone to heat up. I have three S6 Edge phones, they all heat up when I use the Yukon Denali wireless charging mat.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung S6 edge heats to 116 deg. when using 2015 GMC Yukon Denali wireless charger

You might want to print Charging Batteries at High and Low Temperatures – Battery University out and show it to them. You might want to highlight the part of the chart that says

0°C to 45°C
(32°F to 113°F)

for lithium batteries. 140°F will definitely shorten the life of the battery.

(Cadex is one of the largest battery testing companies in the world. They probably make the equipment your dealer's service department uses to test hybrid car batteries. So they kind of have an idea of what they're talking about.)

It may be normal, but that just means that GM screwed the design up. Buy a cheap charging mat and plug it into a USB adapter when you're in the vehicle. (And write to GM, asking that this be handled as a warranty issue, because its picture is next to "manufacturing defect" in the dictionary.)

S6edge46220

May 29, 2015
Visit site
Re: Samsung S6 edge heats to 116 deg. when using 2015 GMC Yukon Denali wireless charger

GM are idiots when it comes to technology. Don't trust a word out of their mouths.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mark Johnstone

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the feedback, it would be better if I could get the Samsung spec temperature reqmts to help me with my dialogue with GM?

Any help would be appreciated.

May 3, 2015
Visit site

Is it an enclosed wireless charger... Like a shelf. If so, I wouldn't use it. I have a charging pick and it gets really hot in open air, enclosed is just asking for a melt down. It's the nature of induction charging tho. The coil acts as a resonating generator. It heats up as a result.

Mark Johnstone

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site

The charger is built into the top of the center storage compartment lid/armrest, it is fully open with full car ventilation.