What new phone should I get?

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello all...

So I've been more or less anti-samsung for several years. I had a Samsung Infuse (remember then? that phone ridiculed for its ginormous screen (4.5", at 480x800 resolution). Then... I dunno. something with the samsung phone ads irked me, I jumped to an HTC One X, dropped that, got an HTC One M7, then an LG3.... and this sunday it fell like a foot inside an otterbox case and put a teeny scratch on the screen that rendered the digitizer unusable on the left side of the screen (read my tale of woe here).

Anyway, so was going to replace it with an LG4, based partly on reviews here, based partly on my being so used to the LG knock code and buttons on the back... but suddenly felt irked that the phone had broken like it did, and spent some time with an S6... and ended up with a gold S6 edge instead. Something I never thought I would do, but it changed enough (honestly it felt to me like what the HTC One should have evolved to, at least externally) that it just drew me in. I had the typical 14 days to decide (on day 4 now) but pretty sure I'm sticking with it. Yeah, I wasn't a huge fan of gripping it vs the regular s6, but I put a Speck candyshell case on it and it grips just fine, and still has the edge, which I admit is mostly a gimmick but I like it anyway.

Very happy with the benchmarks it gets. I have an nvidia shield tablet as my main tablet and it holds its own on many benchmarks (admittedly it does lose on others, but could be things where the benchmark isn't taking advantage of things). I'm still primarily doing gaming on the tablet, but still nice on occasion. I had thought the LG3 camera was superb (it is the reason I left HTC) but this is at least as good.

So, anyway, pleasantly surprised so far. I had heard horror stories about the battery, but honestly can live with what I'm getting, I typically do keep my phones charged at both home and work, and I have an anker external battery for the rest of times. I'll know more after a convention I go to if it holds up as well without having regular power available....

A couple quick questions - A review I read implied that fast charging (which I love) is somehow bad for the long term health of your battery. Any truth to this?

Is there a software way to get knock code (at least for turning on) back? If I could get that maybe I'll stop trying to tap the camera and smearing oil onto the lens...

Is there a way to get gmail to trigger the edge notifications (instead of the native email app?)

The store rep mentioned it was possible to take a picture by tapping the camera flash. I haven't read anything else about this and haven't been able to make it do this, any truth to this?

anyway that's enough for now. Glad to be here.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Re: Hello all...

The quick charging does not hurt battery life, this phone is set up for it.

Taping the flash only works with the front facing camera. So if you've been truing it with the back cam that is why.

Posted via the Android Central App

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site

The title of my post got changed I wasn't asking what phone to get as I already got the s6e.

There were other questions in the post though.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Not sure about tap for screen on but there is...settings > accessibility > dexterity and interaction > gesture wake up.
It will also work while holding the phone if you hold it steady.

Last edited:

MattKerwin

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site

I made the same change...G3 > S6edge...I have to say I love the quick charge...I have some days where I'm a killer on my phones battery...for example today, my first day with it and installing and updating apps / settings...threw it.on the charger for 30 mins and got 50% back! What's better than that!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vszvvone88