Some battery saving tips

judgenot

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
First let me just say that I have had several android phones over the course of the last 5+ years. Most of them have had good battery life while some struggle due to many factors. I currently have the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. One thing that plagued me was that if I turned my phone screen off I was still losing a good amount of battery. I found two things that drastically helped me and I thought I'd share my experience. First, I disabled Google's location history. It is a bit misleading because they don't tell you how often it is checking for your location but i realized it was pretty perpetual. For me, there was no need for google to pinpoint my location when 8-9 hours a day I am at work, the same location. The second thing I did was turn off google now cards. This does not disable google now but you will no longer receive the cards we've all come to love. However, since the search feature is still active all I have to do is ask for the weather, stocks, restaurants nearby, etc. The savings I got was astronomical in my opinion. Prior to the change, with the screen off I would average using about 3.8% per hour or more, now I average just under 1%. This means if I leave my phone off for a couple hours I will have only lost about 2% of battery. This is very important to me as I don't want to lose battery while the phone is merely performing background tasks such as syncing my email, calendar, photos, and data from my watch. As an FYI I also have the location set to "high accuracy" because when I do search for something or use navigation I want pinpoint accuracy. I hope this helps :)

judgenot

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Also it's a good idea to switch your phone into flight mode for e.g. at night, when you're not using it.

This would be a great idea except for a lot of people like myself need family to be able to contact me in an emergency. I prefer to use do not disturb. Plus like I said, less than 1% an hour is nothing, you aren't going to save much more battery than that by turning sync or anything else off.

Green Galaxy

May 25, 2015
Visit site
judgenot -

I too own a S6 Edge but am still a newbie when it comes to android phones.
Would you mind letting me know how I can disable these two things? (step by step LOL)
I think I have tried on my own awhile back - but I'm not even sure I know where to look/check to see if I have either of those disabled.

MaLLoThaPrince

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Instead of Airplane mode, why not put it in Ultra Power Saving Mode? Because then you can still receive Calls and Text.. Just my .02 lol

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

judgenot

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
judgenot -

I too own a S6 Edge but am still a newbie when it comes to android phones.
Would you mind letting me know how I can disable these two things? (step by step LOL)
I think I have tried on my own awhile back - but I'm not even sure I know where to look/check to see if I have either of those disabled.

Sorry for the delay in response. Step by step may vary slightly by provider (i.e. I think AT&T still uses tabbed settings).

Disable now cards:
1. Hold down home key until google now comes up( if this shortcut is not enabled on your phone you can go to it by finding the app that just says google in app drawer).
2. Slide settings out from left, go to settings
3. Go to Now cards
4. Turn them off

Disable location history:
1. Go to settings
2. Go to Location
3. It should first say E911 then Location method(here I use high accuracy but if you don't use GPS change it to power saving)
$. At the very bottom it will say Google Location History, Turn it all to off.

Hope this helps :)

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Also it's a good idea to switch your phone into flight mode for e.g. at night, when you're not using it.
Why not just turn it off for that matter? Seriously put it on a charger and be done with it. this phone has a smaller battery than most but it's not bad. get a couple good quick charger and plug it in once or twice per day. given its fast charging I consider battery life on this phone be a non-issue.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Why not just turn it off for that matter? Seriously put it on a charger and be done with it. this phone has a smaller battery than most but it's not bad. get a couple good quick charger and plug it in once or twice per day. given its fast charging I consider battery life on this phone be a non-issue.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Some people use the alarm on their phone so turning it off isn't an option

Posted via the Android Central App