Normal or not?

Chilllmatic

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
So, I am a new android owner/user. I've been with iPhones since the 4 was released. So far, despite the MMS limitations with pictures, videos and the quality difference in Instagram pictures, I'm loving my S6 Edge. I have been searching and found some issues that others are having in regards to google play services and battery drain. After doing a factory reset to see if any difference was made, I am achieving pretty good battery life. However, Google Play services is still showing up and at the top of my battery usage list. All of this is sort of confusing and new to me so I've been doing my best with settings etc. I have google location off, WiFi scanning off, GPS set to battery saver (wifi & network). The phone goes into deep sleep according to CPU spy. I was just wondering if the usage that Google Play services is showing is normal or not. Screenshot_2015-06-18-11-27-57.jpgScreenshot_2015-06-18-11-28-00.jpgScreenshot_2015-06-18-11-28-10.jpgScreenshot_2015-06-18-11-28-28.jpgScreenshot_2015-06-18-11-28-39.jpg

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android. And welcome to life outside the walls. Unfortunately, there is no normal here. What you experience can and will vary from others with the same phone. Having said that, sometimes Google Now will use Google Play service and cause battery drain if you are using the Now cards. They're awesome so I deal with it. But disabling them may help if you are using them.

Some people have had luck with clearing the Play services cache followed by a reboot and while others have had success with restricting background data for Play services. I have not done the latter. I came from the Sony Z3, which had a battery that would last a couple of days with everything on. With the S6E, I've just adapted my life to it because, frankly, it's a beautiful phone. But you might have luck if you try restricting the data.

Good luck!

Chilllmatic

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I noticed that the usage of google services goes up over night, but there is no significant battery drain. It drained about 2% in 10 hours with 98% deep sleep. It does not seem to affect my battery, just not sure why it is at the top of the list. Thank you for your input!

Also, how would I go about restructing the background data for play services? It switches between the play services and google services, not sure why.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
I noticed that the usage of google services goes up over night, but there is no significant battery drain. It drained about 2% in 10 hours with 98% deep sleep. It does not seem to affect my battery, just not sure why it is at the top of the list. Thank you for your input!

Also, how would I go about restructing the background data for play services? It switches between the play services and google services, not sure why.

Lol my regular s6 did the same thing for the first time tonight. I was like wtf is it saying google services instead of Google play services for lol

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
So, I am a new android owner/user. I've been with iPhones since the 4 was released. So far, despite the MMS limitations with pictures, videos and the quality difference in Instagram pictures, I'm loving my S6 Edge. I have been searching and found some issues that others are having in regards to google play services and battery drain. After doing a factory reset to see if any difference was made, I am achieving pretty good battery life. However, Google Play services is still showing up and at the top of my battery usage list. All of this is sort of confusing and new to me so I've been doing my best with settings etc. I have google location off, WiFi scanning off, GPS set to battery saver (wifi & network). The phone goes into deep sleep according to CPU spy. I was just wondering if the usage that Google Play services is showing is normal or not. View attachment 182402View attachment 182404View attachment 182405View attachment 182406View attachment 182403

Update your apps through Google Play. Power down. Power up in recovery (vol up - home - power) and clear the cache partition (wipe cache partition). Reboot. Google Play services now behaves. Why, I don't know. But this has worked for me.

Enjoy your new S6. I love mine. Awesome device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21