Google Backup Transport EATING Data!!! What should I do?

ShiroEd

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Google Backup Transport EATING Data!!!

Hey gang,

This is a weird one that I can't seem to find any real answers too.
My friend and I are both experiencing huge background data usage with the Google Backup Transport service that is part of Google Play Services.
My S6 Edge on 5.1.1 has been steadily increasing it's consumption of background data with this service over the last month and it's currently sitting at having used over 1.7GB.
My friend's Galaxy S4 on 5.0.1 is experiencing almost exactly the same data consumption over the exact same period of time. Something is deffo up with this but I have no idea what it is.

Some old solutions I've read online include disabling background sync etc. but this isn't a solution and doesn't explain what it had been fine up until this month.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google Backup Transport EATING Data!!!

It might be hung up on something. Have you tried connecting to WiFi? Sometimes that clears things up.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Google Backup Transport EATING Data!!!

Hey gang,

This is a weird one that I can't seem to find any real answers too.
My friend and I are both experiencing huge background data usage with the Google Backup Transport service that is part of Google Play Services.
My S6 Edge on 5.1.1 has been steadily increasing it's consumption of background data with this service over the last month and it's currently sitting at having used over 1.7GB.
My friend's Galaxy S4 on 5.0.1 is experiencing almost exactly the same data consumption over the exact same period of time. Something is deffo up with this but I have no idea what it is.

Some old solutions I've read online include disabling background sync etc. but this isn't a solution and doesn't explain what it had been fine up until this month.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

Did you install a game that uses Google Play Games?

Sean Huston

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
Check the new Google Photo APP

I found that i:mad: it reset all the back up properties for photo back ups. Full resolution and over data network.

finger_man

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
In Settings->Accounts/sync, Remove Google. (pw, confirm yes)
Use Play store to re-enable Google Acct.
(select Google Play app) at the end of the login, AFTER Accept terms & conditions, an option toggle default on, says "backup [everything] toggle it OFF.

Then go to the accounts/sync screen again. Choose what you want. You'll see fewer option selections like photos are completely gone. Good riddance! However, syncing will now be manual (so I can keep my x X x editing/deleting local til ready to backup)

*Note: I also set photos to full resolution backup, but that's after a manual sync, Wi-Fi only....

What was happening for me is that I would take Alot of photos, delete many cept the good ones. But whoa!, there they'd be in Google Photos.

*If I did a full reset of my phone, what I thought backed up was gone too.

They were being saved real-time in a temp services folder sucking my data. A "coarser" option is apps & disable Google Play services. This causes...too many error notifications among many apps.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon