How big of a flash drive will the S6 accomodate?

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I want to buy a Micro USB OTG flash drive. Is there a limit to the size of flash drive this phone will use?

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I want to buy a Micro USB OTG flash drive. Is there a limit to the size of flash drive this phone will use?

Interesting question. You did say micro USB, is that what you meant or did you mean micro SD? If you meant micro SD then unfortunately @tmozer is right and there is no micro SD slot. But, if you meant micro USB then I'd be interested to know as well. My concern would be that there may be no driver support in Android to handle it although I know it is possible to do with an Android tablet.

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I have an OTG cable and it works fine on my S6e. But it appears to be spotty on which thumb drives work. A sandisk 32GB showed up fine, but an 8 GB PNY drive did not.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
No, I am well aware the S6 doesn't have a SD card. That's not what I'm asking about.

I'm talking about using a flash drive on my phone to transfer files or provide temporary extra storage. This is done using the OTG ability of the S6 Edge. I have a OTG cable that I can use by plugging in a USB flash drive or putting a SD card into a card reader but I was thinking to eliminate the OTG cable (and the dangling flash drive) by buying a new USB/mini OTG USB flash drive. These have both a regular USB plug and a micro USB plug so it can go in either your PC or your phone or tablet. So while it will protrude from the bottom of my phone while in use, at least it won't dangle and swing around. My question was how big of a capacity flash drive can I use on this phone. 64 MB, 128 MB? I don't want to buy a large flash drive only to find out that size isn't supported. I am also thinking that a flash drive would be a good place to put extra music or movies when traveling. I hope I cleared up what I am asking about.

mairmann

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Just a question, how come you don't use Dropbox or OneDrive or another Cloud Storage app to save photos, movies, videos, files, etc rather than having to use external storage like a USB Drive? This is what I've been using on my last phone and this one and have never had a issue.

valorian

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site

valorian

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Just a question, how come you don't use Dropbox or OneDrive or another Cloud Storage app to save photos, movies, videos, files, etc rather than having to use external storage like a USB Drive? This is what I've been using on my last phone and this one and have never had a issue.

I've never looked into OneDrive but don't you only get 2GB with Dropbox unless you get people to sign up using your referral? 2GB vs. 64GB. Secure on a thumb drive vs. a cloud service that could be hacked into.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Cloud storage costs a monthly or yearly fee, at least for a large enough space. Backups to the Cloud take forever to complete. Backups to my new OTG USB drive take only a couple of minutes. Much faster. Dropbox requires the files to reside on my PC hard drive twice...once in their original location and once in the Dropbox folder. Seems like a waste of space to me. And no, I don't want to move them out of their original location for other reasons. In short I am not a fan of cloud storage and don't entirely trust it. It's okay for some things.

Est_XCIV

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I use a wireless flash drive from samsung for extra storage and it works awesome. If not, google drive seems like a good option too, depending on what you need it for of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress