Newby to android - various questions

Janeyb999

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi
I've just converted from apple to android and am getting to grips with my new edge, which I love, and I have a few questions I was hoping you could help with?

1. Can you take screen shots?
galaxy and play for apps
Root a phone? Got folder app and can't find or launch it?
Notifications. What are different apps?
App permissions,accessing texts,contacts etc ?

Posted via the Android Central App

Janeyb999

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Sorry, posted too soon as these are my notes and I meant to put them into legible questions!

1. Can you take Screen shots
2. What's the difference between galaxy and play store for apps? I assume one is android approved and one isn't?
2. Why can't I find apps I've installed from play store? Says it's downloaded but I can't find it to use.
3 software update Notifications in locked screen. These seem to override other notifications,can they be turned off?
4 i notice the app tells you what it has access to on your phone e.g. text messages,contacts etc. Is that righr and if so why as it seems a bit worrying?

Thanks for any help ☺

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
THanks for your second post as the first confused my little brain.
1. Screenshots can be taken by holding down the home and power key for 2 secs
2. There are apps aimed specifically at Samsung devices whereas Playstore is for all. Both are safe to use
3. You can cancel the app update notifications by opening the Playstore app, select settings from left hand menu and untick notifications
4. These are generally the permissions an App requires to work (so they say) I feel these are too intrusive sometimes but when we get the Marshmallow update (should be soon) we will have more control over these permissions

Janeyb999

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Thought I'd see what a button did not realising it was the post button, d'oh!

The power button is on the right, is the home screen the central button or the one to the left that lights up when you touch it? Either way can't seem to take a screen shot.

The notifications aren't the app ones, but the android software ones which live in the screen you swipe / pull down from the top.

Re the play store - I've downloaded a folder app, as I can't do with the cluttered screen and like to group apps together. It's downloaded but I can't see how I open / use it?

Janeyb999

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Sorted folder thing thanks.

Yes I think operating system updates, it's not a big thing.

Is there access to more ring tunes? I'm after a normal phone ring sound. All sounds seem to be 'electronic'.

Thanks for your help,will take a look at the links.

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded a ring tone app from Playstore so I had old style ringer. I uninstalled it but the selected ringtone remained on my Edge. Sorry, but I cant remember the name of the app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers