camera issues with S6 edge

benwkh

May 26, 2015
Visit site
anyone experience this issue with the back camera on their S6 or S6 edge. I've had it with this phone. already sent in 2 phones before because of the scratched screens issues. I have contacted my provider and they will be sending me a refurbished one. Warranty will expire in April. wondering if i should just sell the refurbished it and get something else besides Samsung.

s6 edge back camera issue.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That definitely looks like something's wrong with your camera lens.

1) Did you remove all covers/plastic films from it?
2) Have you dropped it or scratched it (dragging it through a rough or dirty surface, perhaps?)
3) Have you cleaned the lens cover with a solvent?
4) Is there visible condensation inside the lens cover? If the phone got wet the condensation might show up under it and cause similar reflections on bright lights.
5) Are you using a cover or backscreen protector that blocks the camera lens with plastic/glass/TPU?

benwkh

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I've had this phone since June. yes plastic films removed. no scratches. lens is clean. No drops.I have a spigen case that the back so the camera is protected when placed on down on the back. there is no condensation under lens. i do have a spigen back glass protector which has cut outs for the camera lens and flash.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Then I'm stumped. Those are definitely lens artifacts (unless the image has been filtered/post-processed, but I assume you're not using any when taking them).

If you have had screen scratch issues in the past, then it's very possible that's an issue and that whomever's handling these phones at the carrier is just clueless on how to do so. I have a Note 5 and my brother has an S6 Edge, none with any issues with the camera and both take awesome pictures.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That's not scratches, that's lens flare. The most expensive cameras can do the same thing (which is why you see professional photographers using huge square "blinders" on the ends of their lenses - to keep the sun from getting in from the side and causing a huge flare.) Search for lens flare and learn how to take pictures without it. (Evidently the S6 camera is a bit more sensitive to it than many other phones, but it's a fact of photographic life - all cameras will show it under the right [wrong?] conditions.)

benwkh

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm aware of what causes lens flare. I do own dslr cameras. I don't think this is lens flare.

here is a picture taken on my old S3
20160125_232608.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, and bright lights will flare up on most phones, but your S6 pictures are too 'streaked'. Unless there's a filter being applied that's artificially exaggerating the lens flares, it's gotta be a lens issue. It also feels like the S6 pictures have a milkier feel to it, as if there was a thin layer of condensation or not truly transparent film on top of it (again, pointing to lens issues).

Does the camera struggle to focus properly? Have you tried a 3rd party camera app?

benwkh

May 26, 2015
Visit site
i did do a clear data and cache on the camera app. same results on 3rd party camera apps. Also did a factory restore. all signs point to a defecting camera sensor.

benwkh

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I got a refurb replacement. refurb's camera has some issues. Had a purple cast on all my pictures. sold it and got a nexus 6p.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar