Why are my text messages now appearing in Facebook messenger?

A

AC Question

Why are my text messages now appearing in facebook messenger?

My Samsung galaxy 6 edge has suddenly put all my text messages into facebook messenger. The text messages come up in purple and my messanger chats remain blue. Can anyone please tell me how I can stop this please I find it confusing.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why are my text messages now appearing in facebook messenger?

Because Facebook Messenger wants you to use it for ALL of your messaging needs, one reason I've chosen to stay away from it. If you have Marshmallow on your S6 you can go into the application manager in Settings, locate Facebook Messenger and modify the permissions for it, removing the SMS permission.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

Removing the SMS permission from the Facebook Messenger app should work, but it's also much more drastic than is necessary (and isn't even possible if you're not on Marshmellow). Here's a more direct and simple way to correct this.

1. Go into the Facebook Messenger app
  2. Tap the far right icon at the top, the profile icon
  3. Scroll down and tap SMS
  4. At the top there is "Default SMS app", this will be turned on for you. Turn it off.

kehnee

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
You actually don't need to have your phone number on Messenger. I removed my phone number completely from Facebook which means it's not available on Messenger.

Inhumer

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
Had this problem too. FB does not have the phone number, never has, so that was not the issue. Setting default apps didn't cure it for long. The only thing that did was turning off the SMS permission in FB Messenger, as the original reply suggested. Appreciate that's not an answer for everyone, but it works if you can do it.
Weirdly if you set default app then restarted phone, it was OK for a while then reverted to SMS in FBM. Grrr... SGS7

Mav65

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site

Removing the SMS permission from the Facebook Messenger app should work, but it's also much more drastic than is necessary (and isn't even possible if you're not on Marshmellow). Here's a more direct and simple way to correct this.

4. At the top there is "Default SMS app", this will be turned on for you. Turn it off.

Thank you for the information. I appreciate the help ( being technically impaired I need all the help I can get ) seems to have worked and only took a minute

RuthM611

Aug 4, 2018
Visit site

I looked at my fb messenger and it was already off but messages were coming there which just started today! its more an annoyance than anything!

Gina Urso

Aug 5, 2018
Visit site

Mine started yesterday also. I want it to stop and don't know how.

Mandrake981

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I am on a T-Mobile Samsung Note 5, and this started for me this morning. This is how I solved it:

Click on "Settings", then "Apps". Click the 3 small bars at the top right corner, and click "App Permissions".
Click on "SMS", then look for "Messenger" (the blue icon, not Facebook, as that's the Facebook App). Turn it off.
Back out of it.

That should solve your problem.