Accelerometer broken, no rotation. Advice needed.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
My screen no longer rotates. This happened over the weekend when I used the Samsung rapid charger for extensive periods. From research on the internet this is a known issue with it overheating the accelerometer and frying it. Normally I use a wireless charger.

I bought the phone from Best Buy last October. I took it in to them today and they ran some diagnostics and tried some things but of course couldn't fix it and said that they had no means to swap it out for another phone. Said to contact Samsung for manufacturers warranty.

Now I knew what Samsung would say before I called but I called anyway. First option: I can send it in to them and they can either repair it or send a refurbished one. Turn around time would be at least 7-10 days if I'm lucky.

Second option: I can take it in to Verizon and see if they will replace it. Again don't really want a refurbished phone and more importantly I don't want to risk losing my grandfathered unlimited data which I am afraid will happen if I go into Verizon.

Third option: Take it to a cell phone repair place locally. I don't have any idea what this would cost but I could keep my own phone and this would have the shortest turn-around time as they claim they can repair in an hour or two (if they have the parts).

What would you do?

TheGoodNamesAreGone

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Does the local repair shop seem to be busy, does it have positive reviews, if available? If it does, id take it to them so that way you can get your device repaired quicker and not have to worry about putting your grandfathered data at risk.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Update: repair shop can't do it. Requires equipment they don't have. Looks like my next option is Verizon (sigh).

Posted via the Android Central App

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
To end this story....Verizon is sending me a "certified" replacement phone. It should arrive in two days. The funny thing is that they ran their tests and the phone accelerometer tested good. But the Verizon rep could certainly see that the rotation was not working in spite of the test showing it was okay. They gave me no problem about replacing the phone. Now when the phone comes all I have to do is put my old SIM into it and I should be good to go with my data plan.