Question about Samsung Keyboard - How to Access Dictionary & Learn From Contacts

daveosf

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Hello AndroidCentral!

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge on Verizon running Android 6.0.1.

I am using the Samsung Keyboard for my standard keyboard, it is version 1.2.14

There are 2 things I just can't figure out about this keyboard.

1) When I first setup my phone, a long time ago, I believe I told it that it could "Learn from Contacts" - and as such, when I am typing text messages, random email addresses of contacts I have emailed with once ever show up as predictive text. I really want to turn these off - so that these contacts don't show up in predictive text anymore.

2) Similarly, I cannot for the life of me find the dictionary of custom words I have added to the Samsung Keyboard. Is this just not accessible anywhere? There's I think a few typos that have slipped in and I'd love to be able to view a list of all custom words I have added and delete some of them.

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated. Perhaps I just need to completely reset my keyboard settings and start over - but that sounds pretty crazy if so.

Or perhaps I need to just switch to a keyboard that isn't the Samsung default one.

Thanks for any helps/tips/pointers!

grnidb

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Hey daveosf,

Not too sure on the first question.

But I have an answer for you on the second question. On the Note’s I have owned I add custom words by typing them out and accepting them with the check mark. So to clarify I want to add ‘tets’ as a custom word. I would go into my SMS messages and type ‘tets’ and click the check mark to accept the word. Then type the same word again if you see the check mark again click on it, continue until you do not see the check mark. I have seen it take up to 4 check mark to stick. This method can also be used for letter casing as well if you deal with a lot of acronyms.

Now how to delete custom words. For example, to delete tets we made above I would type out the word and when you see the incorrect spelling click on it and then press and hold the word tets in the selection bar above the keyboard and below the text. After holding it for a second you will get a popup asking for confirmation to delete the custom word.

tl:dr – Answer to 2nd question - Enter incorrect word and hit the check mark may take up to 4 attempts. Delete by holding incorrect word.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20