S6 Edge brings down entire home wi-fi network

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Running marshmallow.

If my phone's wi-fi is connected to our home network, it brings our entire wi-fi network down. I don't even have to be using the connection for anything--not opening emails or replying or sending. Not using Firefox on the Web. Not streaming. (Never streaming. Pointless to stream, given our rather slow connection under the best of times.) If I turn off Wi-Fi and enable mobile data, then download or send and receive email or surf the Web, whatever...that's fine (although expensive). But the moment I turn on our network, the router/modem goes crazy, and not only can't I perform any online activities, but neither can anyone else in my house. It was the ISP's technician (the 6th one, because the first five very smart, experienced techs thought something had to be wrong with the line. We all did. Who would suspect a lowly phone?).

That's the broad strokes. Don't read the next paragraph. It's boringly detailed unless you're really interested the problem.

I've uninstalled all my cloud backup programs, any app that delivers ads, any app I could think of the might be tracking me in some way. then I just uninstalled any app that runs in the background (that I know of). Then, I just uninstalled any app that I could temporarily or permanently live without. That still leaves a lot of apps because I study Chinese on my phone as well as Music theory and biology. I take photos, download and listen to music, write long memos and occasionally a short article using Extensive Notes and Microsoft Word. Play only timid little logic games (nothing that requires connectivity or social anything). I don't use Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media or games precisely for this reason and due to privacy concerns. Until two weeks ago, I used my phone on Wi-Fi several hours (five or more) a day.

Ideas? Experiences? At this point, my choices appear to be: (1) Do a factory reset, see if the naked phone still affects the network, then add programs one at a time. Groan. (2) Use data exclusively, and get a better-paying job to pay my AT&T bills. (3) Buy a Galaxy S7 Edge or Note 7, and get a better-paying job to pay off my new phone.

Thanks.

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
B.Diddy. Ii've been following this forum for years, and Ii didn'r know this guide existed. Wow!. Im plowing through it now. Thanks. Is there also one for hardware fixes? I don't know what the this part of a phone's anatomy is called--it's the power port--the place you plug in the USB 2 micro plug for charging and OTG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech