S6 edge is going unresponsive multiple times per day

TheGoodNamesAreGone

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
And besides that its getting quite hot. Gsam battery monitor shows it reaching 95-100 degrees frequently. And then there are times where I'll be either browsing in the Web browser, doing things with an app, or toggling between home menus to get to what I'm looking for; it'll frequently either freeze there, or it will screen time out regardless of me trying to move through the menu/windows/etc, screen will go black, and pressing home key or power button will not do anything. I have to hit power and blume down at the same time to bring up the boot menu, select restart normally, and after that it will do as its supposed to for a while. But then it goes back to getting hot again, going unresponzuve, and I have to repeat the power+volume down method to restart it yet again

I thought perhaps maybe there was an outside chance of malware being on it, so I tried 3 different scanners to see if they found anything, those AV scanners being avast, Norton mobile, and Kaspersky mobile, none of them turned up anything, more did they find any issue with installed apps 'misbehaving'.

Is this to be expected now that my sevice is over a year old, or could there be some hardware internals messed up causing this? It sure is frustrating. Battery drain is pretty significant too, after no more than moderate usage, it's down from 100% to 20% in about 3-4 hours. It's frustratingoing. Of you have any suggestions, I'll be happy to try them. Otherwise I'm thinking of doing a factory reset if I can't find any solution.

TheGoodNamesAreGone

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, I was unable to get back to the forum yesterday, but I'll try that tonight and observe what it does afterward for a couple days and post what I see.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It can also be helpful to see some battery stats. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

You might have to use GSam to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

TheGoodNamesAreGone

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Currently in safe mode, it's already went from 100% to 93 in about 12 minutes. But it is running Ning quite a bit smoother in safe mode. No laggyness swiping between panels on home screen, Web pages are snappier.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sure, GSam screenshots would be fine. But I'm a bit more used to the phone's own Settings>Battery​ menu.

TheGoodNamesAreGone

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Now a few days after partition wipe, battery usage is about back to what it was prior to cleaning the partition. Sorry I wasn't able to respond right back the last time, I was sick as a dog. Is there any recommendation as to how often the cache partition should be cleaned as part of a regular maintenance protocol?

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
If you stil have problems, best bet is to factory reset your phone. Cleaning cache partition shouldn't be done all the time. Once in a month is more than enough.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Currently in safe mode, it's already went from 100% to 93 in about 12 minutes. But it is running Ning quite a bit smoother in safe mode. No laggyness swiping between panels on home screen, Web pages are snappier.

Is Ning an app or website? If it's an app, are you sure you're in Safe Mode? Unless Ning were preinstalled, it shouldn't be able to run in Safe Mode.

TheGoodNamesAreGone

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
That extra "Ning" was a typo lol. No idea why it got in there was meant to say it was running(omit the "Ning")quite a bit smoother, and I'm pleased to report phone is running well and battery is back to its usual 8-12 hr life time, with about 4 hr screen on time after cleaning the cache partition. It doesn't get to 95 degrees very often either, like it was there prior to the partition cleaning.

RN50

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Had the same problem on my s6 edge. Lagging around along with poor battery and high phone temperatures. Tried the clear cache and it worked a treat. Did it last night and today it's been working like normal. Will defo be clearing the cache once a month or if I feel the performance is dropping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome