Do T-Mobile users have it the worst with this new Galaxy S6 release?

AndroidBlizzard

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The big 3(Verizon ATT Sprint) still offers 2 year contracts to subsidizes phones from OEMs so whatever the price is, the Carrier is paying the chunk of the price. The costs are not passed on to the consumer in this case(for the most part).

So even if the phone is 750$ or 850$ or $950 unlocked(Possible with the Edge), contract subsidies will run them at $199 and $299.

What I am concerned about here is the other carrier in America. T-Mobile. They took away their two year contract subsidies for a year(?) now which I was not happy about. Though they do offer the best payment rates. What happens now is that T-Mobile will pass the phone cost directly to the consumers. Whether its $850 or $950, that will be paid in full over 24 months by the consumer in addition to the monthly costs.

Unless I am overlooking something here, its great that other carriers still have their 2 year contracts but for T-Mobile customers, a Galaxy S6 will literally evaporate peoples wallets.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The big 3(Verizon ATT Sprint) still offers 2 year contracts to subsidizes phones from OEMs so whatever the price is, the Carrier is paying the chunk of the price. The costs are not passed on to the consumer in this case(for the most part).
Really? Let's see. If I bring my own device to AT&T, it's $15/month per line. If I get a subsidized phone, it's $40/month. That's $25/month for 24 months, or $600. Add the $200 down for a flagship phone and it's $800 - for a phone I can buy on Amazon for $650, and I don't get a locked bootloader. (I was just at a meeting with AT&T yesterday, so those numbers are current.)

What I am concerned about here is the other carrier in America. T-Mobile. They took away their two year contract subsidies for a year(?) now which I was not happy about. Though they do offer the best payment rates. What happens now is that T-Mobile will pass the phone cost directly to the consumers. Whether its $850 or $950, that will be paid in full over 24 months by the consumer in addition to the monthly costs.
The only difference is that in one case you see the price, in the other case you don't - but it's the same price.

Unless I am overlooking something here, its great that other carriers still have their 2 year contracts but for T-Mobile customers, a Galaxy S6 will literally evaporate peoples wallets.
You are - they charge less per month but more for the phone. The others charge less for the phone but more per month. At the end of 24 months, it's about even. (Buy from an independent dealer you have a good relationship with, in an area a carrier is trying to get established, and you can save a bundle. In 2004, Cingular wanted to get into the NYC market so badly that they were throwing bushels of money at dealers to carry their line. The Razr V3 was the flagship phone at the time, and they were paying us about $50 more for a 2 year contract than they were charging us for the phone. So even if we gave it away for free, we made $50. (Not that anyone did, but I undercut everyone in the area by about $100. I'm not greedy enough.)

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

So even if the phone is 750$ or 850$ or $950 unlocked(Possible with the Edge), contract subsidies will run them at $199 and $299.

What ruk bat said.

My work here is done

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I read the same thing that rutbak said. So my Droid 4, I was still paying a cost for it after the 2 years even though it was paid off. With T-Mobile once you pay off your phone you're done.
Aren't you on the Jump program with T-Mobile? Which I thought helps off set that if you jump to the next phone.

Posted via Android Central App

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
What happens now is that T-Mobile will pass the phone cost directly to the consumers. .
and ATT/VZW/SPT don't? Lord, you are so easily fooled.

You are - they charge less per month but more for the phone. The others charge less for the phone but more per month. At the end of 24 months, it's about even.

exactly, not only that, after two years, every month you don't change to a new phone, you save with TMO, because big three still charge you the phone cost you already paid off.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
This thread is an excellent troll imo.

Agree. But for those who may not know, it's good to have this answered. I didn't know that after a 2 year contract was up that I would still be paying for my phone when I was on Verizon until I read it in some forum. That made me move quicker because there wasn't many choices for me except spending a lot more money with Verizon to keep unlimited. Only reason why I choose to go to T-Mobile was for unlimited and to pay less. My dad bought an older phone from T-Mobile (an S2 when the S4 was about to come out) and he paid it in full so he wouldn't have the monthly charges of the phone.

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Here's an idea, don't buy a phone you can't afford. If you want it, deal with the monthly fees that come along with a cheap price tag or buy it outright at full price and never worry about monthly payments.

Posted via the Android Central App

AndroidBlizzard

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Really? Let's see. If I bring my own device to AT&T, it's $15/month per line. If I get a subsidized phone, it's $40/month. That's $25/month for 24 months, or $600. Add the $200 down for a flagship phone and it's $800 - for a phone I can buy on Amazon for $650, and I don't get a locked bootloader. (I was just at a meeting with AT&T yesterday, so those numbers are current.)

The only difference is that in one case you see the price, in the other case you don't - but it's the same price.

You are - they charge less per month but more for the phone. The others charge less for the phone but more per month. At the end of 24 months, it's about even. (Buy from an independent dealer you have a good relationship with, in an area a carrier is trying to get established, and you can save a bundle. In 2004, Cingular wanted to get into the NYC market so badly that they were throwing bushels of money at dealers to carry their line. The Razr V3 was the flagship phone at the time, and they were paying us about $50 more for a 2 year contract than they were charging us for the phone. So even if we gave it away for free, we made $50. (Not that anyone did, but I undercut everyone in the area by about $100. I'm not greedy enough.)

I was looking at it from the point of view of before when T-Mobile had the 2 year contracts along with cheaper monthly prices. That was a double bonus and made it clear that T-Mobile was the one. Now it just seems like a toss-up between the 4.

I read the same thing that rutbak said. So my Droid 4, I was still paying a cost for it after the 2 years even though it was paid off. With T-Mobile once you pay off your phone you're done.
Aren't you on the Jump program with T-Mobile? Which I thought helps off set that if you jump to the next phone.

Posted via Android Central App

I have heard of the jump program but do not know exactly what it is. I'm not sure if I even qualify for it.
and ATT/VZW/SPT don't? Lord, you are so easily fooled.

exactly, not only that, after two years, every month you don't change to a new phone, you save with TMO, because big three still charge you the phone cost you already paid off.

Hence the "directly" that I wrote. Of course the the other carriers will pass it on indirectly. Read between the lines next time.
After 2 years, one would not be paying for the phone. The contract is over and he/she is free to do what ever she wants, at which point a person would upgrade to the next phone.

Here's an idea, don't buy a phone you can't afford. If you want it, deal with the monthly fees that come along with a cheap price tag or buy it outright at full price and never worry about monthly payments.

I want to lower the amount of dispensable income that I would put towards a new phone however possible. I'm sure others do that too and utilize the savings for a case or screen protector.

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
after 2 years the contract is over but you still pay the same monthly fee (contract)

On att I could pay 15 a month for my line if I go through next/full price/bring my own OR pay 45 a month on contract

extra monthly fee times 2 years plus sub price
25 * 24 = 600 + 300 = 900

Over the course of 2 years att has pulled 900 from me to pay off the phone. Alternatively, I could by the phone up front and switch carrier/change plan at anytime. No early termination fee nonsense or early upgrade nonsense

btw most people getting the s6 will be trading in their s5

AndroidBlizzard

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
after 2 years the contract is over but you still pay the same monthly fee (contract)

On att I could pay 15 a month for my line if I go through next/full price/bring my own OR pay 45 a month on contract

extra monthly fee times 2 years plus sub price
25 * 24 = 600 + 300 = 900

Over the course of 2 years att has pulled 900 from me to pay off the phone. Alternatively, I could by the phone up front and switch carrier/change plan at anytime. No early termination fee nonsense or early upgrade nonsense

btw most people getting the s6 will be trading in their s5

if the $15 is true, then why won't everyone just buy a phone unlocked at full price and bring it to a carrier. $15 is hard to pass up and even better to not deal with the contract stuff.

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
if the $15 is true, then why won't everyone just buy a phone unlocked at full price and bring it to a carrier. $15 is hard to pass up and even better to not deal with the contract stuff.
Sorry didn't fully explain my family plan
We have 15GB plan that has been doubled to 30Gb (cost is 130 a month). 6 lines sharing 30GB. Mobile share plans start at $20/month for 300MB
15 dollars a line plus tax ~ 17 and change. But you need a mobile share plan first.

In total we each pay 35.50 by taking the total which is 130(17%discount) + (6lines)(17 and change)= ~ 215. If one of us wants to be contracted it would cost that individual an extra 25 dollars a month ($40+tax/month instead of 15). That individual would pay ~ $60 a month rather than ~ $35 for 2 years. Again 25*24+subcostphone=800-900

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

This is what I did with all my current phones (paid outright) and why I am now able to buy any new phone that comes out. T-Mobile generally sells their phones at a discount from what other carriers charge at the full price. They will also unlock after so many days of use. I unlocked my old 5S just a few months after buying it last year.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

Because most unlocked phones don't work on US carriers. And some US carriers only allow phones they've sold onto their networks even.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos