S6 - Biggest waste of money Post S5 Active? Who care if it's a "Premium Product"?

Rikate

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
So the S6 looks great and all. I've read most of the articles related to it and the S5 (and S5 Active). I have to wonder why Android Central praises this device so much since it seems to be going the way of Apple (meaning I'm not buying). Android Central was way into the water resistance of models during the 2014 year. There is also the Samsung ads from within the previous year's time that they harped about having a removable battery and the MicroSD cards could be swapped in and out. Why on earth are they chasing the rotten Apple? Do they wish to be the worm? They will simply lose. I have a S4 from At&t. I have no found no reason to upgrade my phone yet for a better one. I'd much rather stay with Samsung but this heap is pointless. There was much bellyaching about water and toilet drops before the S6 and now nothing of the sort. I guess Android Central and its writers are as easily dazzled by the next shiny object that comes along. Perhaps instead of comparing Apple crap, since it is all high mighty, compare the real world benefits (when you get your actual hands on a device that is yours) vs. the S5 (S5 Active too).

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So the S6 looks great and all. I've read most of the articles related to it and the S5 (and S5 Active). I have to wonder why Android Central praises this device so much since it seems to be going the way of Apple (meaning I'm not buying). Android Central was way into the water resistance of models during the 2014 year. There is also the Samsung ads from within the previous year's time that they harped about having a removable battery and the MicroSD cards could be swapped in and out. Why on earth are they chasing the rotten Apple? Do they wish to be the worm? They will simply lose. I have a S4 from At&t. I have no found no reason to upgrade my phone yet for a better one. I'd much rather stay with Samsung but this heap is pointless. There was much bellyaching about water and toilet drops before the S6 and now nothing of the sort. I guess Android Central and its writers are as easily dazzled by the next shiny object that comes along. Perhaps instead of comparing Apple crap, since it is all high mighty, compare the real world benefits (when you get your actual hands on a device that is yours) vs. the S5 (S5 Active too).

Because people have been clamoring for Samsung to up their design game. And they have.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
While I agree with you that I'd have preferred if the S6 was water-resistant, still had a removable battery, and supported SD Cards, the truth is this is still a pretty amazing phone. And if the AC Editors were impressed, it was not only by the design, but also by the performance. Sure, it's doing away from some beloved features, and yes, it might hurt its sales but I'm also sure it'll attract others who are more into a streamlined designe with no-frills ease of use.
I've always been a fan of the Note line, and while I wish it was water-resistant, the fact that it's not doesn't make it any less of a phone and, in my book, an even better phone than the water-repelling S5 or any of the Sony variants.
Take a look at Sony tablets. Some really sexy-looking beasts and the only ones I've seen with water-resistance. And yet they struggle to sell, and Samsung's Tab line, without that specific feature, is doing much better.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: micro SD cards and removable batteries - if you have data that very very low percentages of your existing customers either used a mirco SD card and/or bought your extra battery, it's ok to not have those in the next version if it means you can design a better looking phone that performs at the top of it's class.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: S6 - Biggest waste of money Post S5 Active? Who care if it's a "Premium Product"?

Seems like the OP is the one "bellyaching". It's called change. And change is a good thing.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: S6 - Biggest waste of money Post S5 Active? Who care if it's a "Premium Product"?

Let's keep it nice and civilized, kids. :) We're all entitled to our own opinions, and he does have some good points, if vocalized a bit harshly. That's why, unlike Apple devices, we get to choose what's right for each and every one of us.

Together... not the same.

I should get a T-Shirt with that.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Good grief, another insulted member...

If anything, this Samsung forum is a good barometer of where this society's head is at and it's scary.

ahj4513

May 23, 2014
Visit site

My apologies. I should have kept this professional.
Back to my point however : let's not create any more redundant threads intended just for bashing this new phone ;)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

Bottom line is the number of people who complained about their cheap plastic design FAR outnumbered those who want/need a SD card or removable battery. With Apple and HTC making beautifully crafted devices Samsung had to keep up. Samsung made the right choice in that regard. Makes no sense to keep complaining about it. The Note 4 or S5 are still available for ppl who need those features.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site

I'd suggest taking a look at it in person before you hate on it.
Most phones in the last 2 years are good enough to last you a long time and the newest phones really don't have a compelling reason to upgrade but if you have an upgrade available, why not take advantage of it?

ahj4513

May 23, 2014
Visit site

A little more complicated than that. They need to pay to get the s6 certified. When a drop is all it takes to possibly damage the phone, ip67 rating is not really that worth buying (I think). Introducing water resistance just introduces more design headaches for engineers.
Remember the s5 port cover? You need gaskets that could prevent water molecules from seeping inside the device.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Still have to wonder why they lost water resistance. One would think it'd be easier to do with a sealed body and wireless charging.
A lot of people complained about the flap over the charging port. Samsung just can't win with everyone but most people will be very happy with their new phones.

from the Note Edge📱📏

Last edited:

philip42

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Because people have been clamoring for Samsung to up their design game. And they have.

The people that have been clamouring for a premium design aren't the same people that value a replaceable battery and upgradeable storage. These are two separate distinct groups. They were able to do a premium device in the Note 4 without selling out.

Posted via the Android Central App

philip42

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

Seems like the OP is the one "bellyaching". It's called change. And change is a good thing.

It's called going backwards

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The people that have been clamouring for a premium design aren't the same people that value a replaceable battery and upgradeable storage. These are two separate distinct groups. They were able to do a premium device in the Note 4 without selling out.

The folks upset about the loss of removables are so very far in the minority though. A year from now which phones do you think will have sold better, the S5 or the S6? I think it'll have been the S6.

Folks really upset about the loss of removables won't buy an S6. Fortunately, they have other options. Right this minute those include, but are not limited to the Note 4, Note Edge, S5, G3 or whatever current device they already have.

from the Note Edge📱📏

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

We're all entitled to our own opinions, and he does have some good points, if vocalized a bit harshly. That's why, unlike Apple devices, we get to choose what's right for each and every one of us.

Together... not the same.

This is why it's important for people who are unhappy to express themselves (politely, of course).

I like your reference to Google's slogan. Be together. Not the same.

No one is saying Samsung's design of the S6 should be thrown out. Let people buy it if they want.

All people want is an option from Samsung with the features that they want: a removable battery and a micro SD card slot. That way they can stay in the Samsung family ("Be together") with something different ("Not the same").

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith