Antenna config

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if Samsung will have the same issue on Verizon that Motorola did with the Turbo...
No simultaneous voice/data on 4g unless you're using VoLTE (or wifi of course).

Of all the complaints about removable this, that and the other.... the biggest travesty in all of Verizon Mobile is that these devices don't support simultaneous voice/data no matter where you are or where you're traveling in the US. For some of us, it's all over and we're increasingly getting LESS performance out of their devices, to the point that I might go back to AT&T, whom I swore off in 1996.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I believe all the new phones for Verizon will start to lean towards needing VoLTE for Voice and Data -- They wouldn't want to keep going back to the old way of doing things.

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
VoLTE is NOT ready for prime time here in MI.
Regardless of all features that appeal to me most....
Regardless of style.
Regardless of price...

I simply cannot operate on a shared antenna... I have to have simultaneous voice/data on the road.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
VoLTE is NOT ready for prime time here in MI.
Regardless of all features that appeal to me most....
Regardless of style.
Regardless of price...

I simply cannot operate on a shared antenna... I have to have simultaneous voice/data on the road.

It sounds like Verizon may not be for you then .. till it is ready. Sadly that is how life goes. You have to go with what works. Again though it could have dual radios .. but I couldn't see Verizon moving away from it and then going back to it .. that would just be odd.

The last phone that I know of for Verizon having dual radios so you could do voice & data without VoLTE is the Note 4.

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Most critically for Verizon's VoLTE service, if a customer is not on a call and the phone is in the idle state and drops out of LTE coverage, the phone will automatically switch over to CDMA 1X voice service. However, if a customer is on a VoLTE call and drops out of LTE coverage, the call will disconnect. Customers can also to turn VoLTE on and off in their phone's settings and return to CDMA 1X voice service.

In a post for customers, Verizon noted that "calls won't switch between 3G and 4G LTE networks. If your call starts on the 3G network and you move to a 4G LTE coverage area, your call will continue as a 3G/CDMA call. However, if your call starts on the 4G LTE network and you move to a non-4G coverage area, your call will drop."

Hopefully among the top-tier devices there will be at least one of them that maintains dual antenna for 4g. I don't really want a Note 4, but it's certainly a big enough issue that it would preclude me from getting a Turbo-like, single-antenna device. Honestly, there must be someone to cater to Verizon's road warrior market. I remember when we used to be THE market, now we're seemingly an afterthought.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if Samsung will have the same issue on Verizon that Motorola did with the Turbo...
No simultaneous voice/data on 4g unless you're using VoLTE (or wifi of course).

Of all the complaints about removable this, that and the other.... the biggest travesty in all of Verizon Mobile is that these devices don't support simultaneous voice/data no matter where you are or where you're traveling in the US. For some of us, it's all over and we're increasingly getting LESS performance out of their devices, to the point that I might go back to AT&T, whom I swore off in 1996.
Best point I have read. I absolutely don't want to go back to days I could not look up stuff on my phone while talking to somebody.
I'd love to go to tMobile but I need good reception

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49