Samsung Galaxy S6 Let's Talk - Dual Wireless Charging

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I am not as technically savvy as most on this sub-forum but could someone please explain the differences as well as the pros and cons of each. Is one format more or less prevalent from country to country? I have noticed that furniture makers are including wireless charging. The inclusion of both formats is yet another example of forward thinking. We won't have to buy new accessories or devices since we already have both. Elevate me in my knowledge base. Does anyone get the Elevate reference? Is there anyone on this forum old enough to have seen the movie?

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Let's Talk - Dual Wireless Charging

Can someone help me out? I would really like to be better informed about this subject.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Who ever thought Samsung A4WP versus AT&T PMA wireless charging standards. I believe that the GS6 has A4WP and Qi. PMA seems more widely supported. Still questions remain. Is this distinction by country not just industry? Who will gain traction first and come out on top.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

it seems that the wireless standards run like this in terms of market penetration and acceptance. Qi, PMA A4WP. wonder how hard it would to incorporate in building materialss for things like countertops and furniture. fridge already have internet capability.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Doesn't the Forbes article bother anyone? Minority Report ring a bell.

ahj4513

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Lol sorry I couldn't be much help here. I have no knowledge

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Lol sorry I couldn't be much help here. I have no knowledge

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Let me know after you read the article and Google the movie title.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

1) No need for multiple posts.

2) Qi is pretty much the industry standard at the moment, but that doesn't mean anything. Beta was a much better format than VHS, but Sony never got anywhere with it.

3) When I want to charge my phone, I want power, not data.

ahj4513

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Qi wireless charging and PMA wireless charging both use the resonant inductive coupling as their driving mechanism. The only difference is the resonance frequency of the charging coil. When coils with same frequency are near each other charges can be transferred from one coil to another.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

PMA wasn't included why? I thought that even though Samsung favors A4WP that most all companies were part of PMA standard.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I reviewed more hands on videos. PMA and Qi are the two wireless charging standards in the GS6. I had read that Samsung was more of a supporter of the A4WP standard. Which standard DO Starbucks use? I also read a Forbes article that they use it to skim data from our phones.

ahj4513

May 23, 2014
Visit site

I reviewed more hands on videos. PMA and Qi are the two wireless charging standards in the GS6. I had read that Samsung was more of a supporter of the A4WP standard. Which standard DO Starbucks use? I also read a Forbes article that they use it to skim data from our phones.

Starbucks uses Powermat. Here's an article from the verge :
Starbucks starts rolling out wireless phone chargers nationwide | The Verge

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

Wireless Charging: A Surprising*New Way To Track You - Forbes

Surprised. Not shocked. Sticking to wireless charging at home and office.

I'm not personally worried about the data that they are pulling since it seems to be just a UID to your device. I already use a Starbucks account to buy coffee so they can track which Starbucks I visit and what I order. I am interested in what the data transfer capabilities are though, meaning how much and what sort of data can be pulled. If it is more than just a UID, then I would be more worried about attackers that would start placing these charging pads around to steal user data. For example, they could drop them around airports to steal data. I think more details will come out as the technology expands. This reminds me of the news that came from wall chargers being able to steal data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress