I am not as technically savvy as most on this sub-forum but could someone please explain the differences as well as the pros and cons of each. Is one format more or less prevalent from country to country? I have noticed that furniture makers are including wireless charging. The inclusion of both formats is yet another example of forward thinking. We won't have to buy new accessories or devices since we already have both. Elevate me in my knowledge base. Does anyone get the Elevate reference? Is there anyone on this forum old enough to have seen the movie?

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device
    03-07-2015 09:18 AM
    Can someone help me out? I would really like to be better informed about this subject.

03-07-2015 10:33 AM
    03-07-2015 11:42 AM
    Who ever thought Samsung A4WP versus AT&T PMA wireless charging standards. I believe that the GS6 has A4WP and Qi. PMA seems more widely supported. Still questions remain. Is this distinction by country not just industry? Who will gain traction first and come out on top.
    03-07-2015 11:47 AM
    it seems that the wireless standards run like this in terms of market penetration and acceptance. Qi, PMA A4WP. wonder how hard it would to incorporate in building materialss for things like countertops and furniture. fridge already have internet capability.
    03-07-2015 01:06 PM
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyols...-to-track-you/

Surprised. Not shocked. Sticking to wireless charging at home and office.

03-07-2015 02:47 PM
    Doesn't the Forbes article bother anyone? Minority Report ring a bell.
    03-07-2015 03:50 PM
    Lol sorry I couldn't be much help here. I have no knowledge

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    03-07-2015 03:56 PM
    Lol sorry I couldn't be much help here. I have no knowledge

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Let me know after you read the article and Google the movie title.

03-07-2015 03:58 PM
    1) No need for multiple posts.

2) Qi is pretty much the industry standard at the moment, but that doesn't mean anything. Beta was a much better format than VHS, but Sony never got anywhere with it.

3) When I want to charge my phone, I want power, not data.
    akutch34 likes this.
    03-07-2015 04:25 PM
    Qi wireless charging and PMA wireless charging both use the resonant inductive coupling as their driving mechanism. The only difference is the resonance frequency of the charging coil. When coils with same frequency are near each other charges can be transferred from one coil to another.
    03-07-2015 04:58 PM
    PMA wasn't included why? I thought that even though Samsung favors A4WP that most all companies were part of PMA standard.

03-07-2015 06:44 PM
    I reviewed more hands on videos. PMA and Qi are the two wireless charging standards in the GS6. I had read that Samsung was more of a supporter of the A4WP standard. Which standard DO Starbucks use? I also read a Forbes article that they use it to skim data from our phones.

03-07-2015 10:06 PM
    I reviewed more hands on videos. PMA and Qi are the two wireless charging standards in the GS6. I had read that Samsung was more of a supporter of the A4WP standard. Which standard DO Starbucks use? I also read a Forbes article that they use it to skim data from our phones.

Starbucks uses Powermat. Here's an article from the verge :
    Starbucks starts rolling out wireless phone chargers nationwide | The Verge
    03-07-2015 10:09 PM
    Starbucks uses Powermat. Here's an article from the verge :
    Starbucks starts rolling out wireless phone chargers nationwide | The Verge
    Powermat means PMA. Is there a way to secure your phone when charging it at Starbucks?

03-07-2015 10:15 PM
    Is there a way to secure your phone when charging it at Starbucks?

You can try encrypting your Galaxy S6.
    03-07-2015 10:16 PM
    You can try encrypting your Galaxy S6.
    Be serious. How is that even possible?

03-07-2015 10:19 PM
    Be serious. How is that even possible?

I believe you can find "encrypt my phone" function in the settings.
    03-07-2015 10:25 PM
    I believe you can find "encrypt my phone" function in the settings.
    Ok. I see the settings.

03-08-2015 05:15 AM
    Wireless Charging: A Surprising*New Way To Track You - Forbes

Surprised. Not shocked. Sticking to wireless charging at home and office.

I'm not personally worried about the data that they are pulling since it seems to be just a UID to your device. I already use a Starbucks account to buy coffee so they can track which Starbucks I visit and what I order. I am interested in what the data transfer capabilities are though, meaning how much and what sort of data can be pulled. If it is more than just a UID, then I would be more worried about attackers that would start placing these charging pads around to steal user data. For example, they could drop them around airports to steal data. I think more details will come out as the technology expands. This reminds me of the news that came from wall chargers being able to steal data.
    03-08-2015 08:26 AM
    I'm not personally worried about the data that they are pulling since it seems to be just a UID to your device. I already use a Starbucks account to buy coffee so they can track which Starbucks I visit and what I order. I am interested in what the data transfer capabilities are though, meaning how much and what sort of data can be pulled. If it is more than just a UID, then I would be more worried about attackers that would start placing these charging pads around to steal user data. For example, they could drop them around airports to steal data. I think more details will come out as the technology expands. This reminds me of the news that came from wall chargers being able to steal data.
    UID user interface data? Is this information related to purchase habits or are they getting data that could be used for identity theft which could be perpetrated by others nearby?

03-08-2015 10:00 AM
    Will encrypting the device cover off securing against both wireless charging so that data can't be skimmed off as well as fingerprint encryption?
    03-08-2015 06:17 PM
    UID user interface data? Is this information related to purchase habits or are they getting data that could be used for identity theft which could be perpetrated by others nearby?

I apologize, I meant UID to mean unique identifier. This is my take from what I read. When I lay my phone down on one of those pads, it can access information such as a unique identifier that is only for my phone. They claim they are using that information to know how many charging pads are in use and how often individuals use the charging pad. This would allow them to know that 5 days a week my specific phone uses a charging pad or what Starbucks my phone visits.

Now if I put on my conspiracy hat, it wouldn't be hard for them to associate my phone with me, even if all they can pull is an identifier from my phone. If you use the Starbucks app or credit card, correlations could be drawn to tie your phone to your name. And if it is found out that the wireless pad can pull a lot more information, then obviously more bad things could happen, but that isn't a known thing currently.

For your encryption question, I doubt encryption would protect your identifier from being shared with the wireless pad. If it is found out that the pad could pull more data, encryption could help, but are a number of things that would have to be looked at and tested before anyone could be sure.
    03-09-2015 08:18 AM
    I apologize, I meant UID to mean unique identifier. This is my take from what I read. When I lay my phone down on one of those pads, it can access information such as a unique identifier that is only for my phone. They claim they are using that information to know how many charging pads are in use and how often individuals use the charging pad. This would allow them to know that 5 days a week my specific phone uses a charging pad or what Starbucks my phone visits.

Now if I put on my conspiracy hat, it wouldn't be hard for them to associate my phone with me, even if all they can pull is an identifier from my phone. If you use the Starbucks app or credit card, correlations could be drawn to tie your phone to your name. And if it is found out that the wireless pad can pull a lot more information, then obviously more bad things could happen, but that isn't a known thing currently.

For your encryption question, I doubt encryption would protect your identifier from being shared with the wireless pad. If it is found out that the pad could pull more data, encryption could help, but are a number of things that would have to be looked at and tested before anyone could be sure.
    Ok. Thanks. Still a little uncomfortable with information about me being accessed without my knowledge but I guess that's the age we live in.
    03-13-2015 10:23 PM
    03-20-2015 10:41 PM