longtime iphone user *possibly* switching to galaxy s6 but don't want touchwiz

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Been an iphone user since the 3g. I've gone back and forth (had the HTC Hero and Samsung S3) so I've been generally familiar at least with old android.

The S6 is probably the first android phone in a while to tempt me away from the iphone.

My main issue is touchwiz. Obviously I haven't tried out the new apparently slimmed down touchwiz, but after a nightmare with the S3 I've lost all confidence in Samsung handling things on the software side. I'd love to flash cyanogenmod on it when its possible to do so, but I assume I would lose all hardware optimizations? (for example the camera probably wont open in a split second under cyanogenmod vs touchwiz, not to mention all the improved post-processing done to photos which are mostly in software).

Does anyone know of any other downsides to switching to another custom rom? I haven't done it in a long time. I'd lose all the Samsung apps but anything else?

Last edited:

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: longtime iphone user *possiby* switching to galaxy s6 but don't want touchwiz

I think if Samsung actually advertise the fact they have cut down touchwiz, they will make pretty damn sure that it really is good software.

Hope you find the answer though

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: longtime iphone user *possiby* switching to galaxy s6 but don't want touchwiz

Buy s6 and flash cyanxxxxxx? Nope, won't suggest that.

corye

May 30, 2010
Visit site

Was reading some concerns on XDA that AOSP-based ROMs might be harder to develop on the S6 due to the Exynos processor. So don't get your hopes up?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

zenbiad

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site

I don't like the display of S6 when reading books.
P.S. Is there any easy way to transfer content from iPhone to S6, such as text messages and music?

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

P.S. Is there any easy way to transfer content from iPhone to S6, such as text messages and music?

you may want to ask in iPhone forum. Absence of a file manager, and with fragmented way in which iTMS stores music, its unnecessarily difficult. lol

sdmf

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why people have a problem with touchwiz. I'm picky as hell and mine runs awesome on my note 3. You could also just root and freeze the Samsung apps you don't need or use.

For txt MSG, see if there is an sms backup app. For your tunes., save your tunes to your desktop then USB them over to the new phone. Android.... So much easier to do stuff than apple.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

I've been on an S3 for 2 years now. What's so terrible about Touch Wiz? Is it the best looking? No, but you can add a launcher to customize that to some extent. If it's smooth and stutter free on the S6, what is wrong with it? I must be missing something because people seem to act like Touch Wiz is sleeping with their girlfriend or something.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

The TW drama is sort of tiring. On my GS3 it's slow, but it's an "old" phone at this point. There's some really good points of TW IMO, some stuff I've taken for granted for sure.

If you look at it and still don't like it then don't buy it. However, personally I feel the Android UI is FAR better than iOS, there really isn't anything I like about the iPhone, and that's coming from someone who has the following Apple products:
MacBook Pro
iPad
iMac
Apple TV
Airport Express
Airport Extreme

So from an apparent Apple honk, you'd think I'd be all over the iPhone.

Last edited:

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

You can always change launchers.
You can download NOVA Launcher from the Play Store, pretty much replaces TW except for the settings. You can customize it more and looks like you don't even have Touchwiz.

There are other launchers as well such as Apex Launcher, but Nova is the best imo

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

You can always change launchers.
You can download NOVA Launcher from the Play Store, pretty much replaces TW except for the settings. You can customize it more and looks like you don't even have Touchwiz.

There are other launchers as well such as Apex Launcher, but Nova is the best imo

Just as a note for those unfamiliar as these launchers go on TOP of TouchWiz and don't replace TouchWiz. IMO, that's a good thing because you don't lose any of the Samsung features that they've added and it's more of just a visual thing. But if you have a personal vendetta against TouchWiz and it is sleeping with your girlfriend, putting a paper bag over it's head doesn't change anything.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Just as a note for those unfamiliar as these launchers go on TOP of TouchWiz and don't replace TouchWiz. IMO, that's a good thing because you don't lose any of the Samsung features that they've added and it's more of just a visual thing. But if you have a personal vendetta against TouchWiz and it is sleeping with your girlfriend, putting a paper bag over it's head doesn't change anything.

True it doesn't replace it, but it helps a lot with not looking like Touchwiz. You can change the icons, animations, and other features. Its a great alternative for those who do not want to root. Good explanation though

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

People hate Touchwiz for three reasons:

1) It's ugly
2) It lags
3) It's bloated

Samsung has addressed issues 2 & 3. There's no more lag and the footprint has been trimmed down. Is it still ugly? Yes, I think so. But I can side-step most of that by moving to Nova Launcher. Nova also gives me a ton more customization options. But there's still a bunch of other areas where TW presents itself, notably the shade, the camera, contacts, and dialer. However, most of those have been redesigned, although that has never been as issue for me because I actually like the Samsung customizations to those programs. In either case, most of these apps can be replaced.

So to sum up, get Nova Launcher or use the Google Experience launcher and you should be good.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

The TW drama is sort of tiring. On my GS3 it's slow, but it's an "old" phone at this point. There's some really good points of TW IMO, some stuff I've taken for granted for sure.

Tiring was using the S3 and touchwiz...it was horrible! It left a very bad taste in my mouth about Android and only after thoroughly testing Nexus 5 running stock Android was i convinced touchwiz was the problem, not android. That was over 2 years of hating on Android because of the false representation given by the Galaxy model I had. THANKFULLY Samsung has toned down TW for the S6, this is the first time in so many years im considering a Samsung device again...if TW wasnt fixed then i wouldnt even consider looking at the S6...ya its that bad.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site

Not sure why people have a problem with touchwiz. I'm picky as hell and mine runs awesome on my note 3. You could also just root and freeze the Samsung apps you don't need or use.

For txt MSG, see if there is an sms backup app. For your tunes., save your tunes to your desktop then USB them over to the new phone. Android.... So much easier to do stuff than apple.

I've been on an S3 for 2 years now. What's so terrible about Touch Wiz? Is it the best looking? No, but you can add a launcher to customize that to some extent. If it's smooth and stutter free on the S6, what is wrong with it? I must be missing something because people seem to act like Touch Wiz is sleeping with their girlfriend or something.

well since samsung themselves decided to dial back touchwiz, i'd say more than a few people have had issues with it.

myself i found it slow and laggy to use, but that was when i had an s3 (in comparison to my iphone 5 at the time). at that time though, the standard for speed isn't like where it is today obviously, and i assume android in general is a lot faster now. i just dont want to lose speed if i switch to another rom which is my main issue.

i'm just wondering if this is an issue in general when switching custom roms for another that may not be as optimized for the specific phone you're installing it on.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Give TouchWiz a try. Its footprint has supposedly been reduced by 40% and with improved resources, lag should minimal. I have had the GS3 and GS4 and the lag which has been minimal has never bothered me enough to use a launcher. Touchwiz is more than a launcher. If it still bothers you, load a new launcher or pass on the GS6.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You can put other launcher like Nova on it. It would replace only launcher part of Touchwiz but other parts like setting, notification bar, phone, camera UI will remain. Nova will tremendously increase the swiping speed on home screen. I prefer a bit smooth home swiping on TW (this is not lag) rather than super fast response like Nova. But some folks like that instant feel of Nova.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

This app has been around for a couple of years already, first time I heard of it was when the Galaxy S4 launched.

Smart Switch

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The beauty of Nova is the customizability. I have a 6 X 5 grid of icons, 7 X 5 if you include the dock. But I don't even use the top two rows since it's not as convenient to reach. So the very top row is blank and the row below that is my PocketCasts widget. I basically live on the bottom 25 icons because I can assign a swipe up to each folder. So my folder with all my social media apps opens Facebook when I swipe up (meaning I don't actually have to open the folder for that app). Swipe up the phone, and it's contacts. Swipe up Keep, and it launches my flashlight. I basically double up on icons that way. Then, in the dock, I have direct dial shortcuts for my contacts. If I swipe up the personal contacts folder, it calls my wife. If I open the folder and tap my friend's icon, it call him. But if I swipe up, it texts him, because you can swipe up the icons inside of folders as well. I am no more than two taps/swipes away from getting in touch with anyone in my contact folders. Google Voice search can be activated with the "OK Google" phrase or swipe down on any homescreen. I only leave my main screen for my calendar and music widgets, which is not all that often. Whenever someone complains about problems with swiping screens I tune it out because none of that applies to me. I never really swipe and that's because of Nova Launcher.

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Has already been said, but easiest solution is to just put another launcher on your phone. You don't need to root. No unlock. Easy easy EASY. TouchWhiz is then gone.

You will still have Samsung skinned notification menu and settings, but that's hardly bad.