S6 and S6 Edge in the flesh

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Out and about shopping today in Milton Keynes and surprised to see O2, EE, Carphone and Vodafone with working S6 and S6 Edge phones on display.

They are both quite impressive devices. I prefer the feel of the S6 Edge. The S6 looks too much like the S5 from the front but it does feel different.

Everything moved fast with no stutter on both phones.

Prices are too high for my liking but they will sell loads of the things. Edge 32gb is £699 without a contract for example. Can't remember all of the prices I saw today.

The Edge in Carphone Warehouse had a cracked screen. The rep said that they only got it yesterday and one of the staff cracked it. Oh dear.

Anyway, very impressive devices on the hand. Samsung will do good business with these phones.

Posted via the Android Central App

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
TouchWiz, which I like anyway, is slicker and the experience better. It just moves and animates quicker.

Still not enough to sway me to buy one though. Note4 for me in June when my S5 contract is up.

Last edited:

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
TouchWiz, which I like anyway, is slicker and the experience better. It just moves and animates quicker.

Still not enough to sway me to buy one though. Note4 for me in June when my S5 contact is up.

OT.
Why are you going from an S5 to the N4?

FreeFool

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I saw an S6 in Swindon and I too think I'll go for a Note 4, for the bigger battery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bogdaryl

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm really wanting the S6 but the price is REALLY not appealing to me. I'm here in the states so I'm kinda waiting for the price to hit. Then I'll decide between that and note 4 or whatever strikes me for my next phone.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm really wanting the S6 but the price is REALLY not appealing to me. I'm here in the states so I'm kinda waiting for the price to hit. Then I'll decide between that and note 4 or whatever strikes me for my next phone.

If price is important and you feel based upon surfing through videos and comments on this and other sites, great for you since, in the end, you have to do what's best for you, just don't let the improvements and overall better performance and thus value let you make a short sighted decision. The price point may go down shortly after launch or if you can wait, get the GS6. Screen real estate and s pen are the only toe things that the Note does better. Different strokes for different folks.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
If price is important and you feel based upon surfing through videos and comments on this and other sites, great for you since, in the end, you have to do what's best for you, just don't let the improvements and overall better performance and thus value let you make a short sighted decision. The price point may go down shortly after launch or if you can wait, get the GS6. Screen real estate and s pen are the only toe things that the Note does better. Different strokes for different folks.

As an adult I'm sure he can make up his own mind on what device is right for him.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Worth selling lg g3 for a s6?

Depends. I didn't really see much to make me want it over the GS5. The 5.5 inch display was already in phablet range and would be really big with a Defender case. Not very pocketable in my view. It has a slower processor but it does have a huge QHD display and battery. Its design is nice but it is still plastic. The camera is another area where the GS6 has a 16MP OIS with a wider aperture looks like it is the better one. Similar,amount of RAM but the GS6 has DDR4 and UFS2.0 storage. Its chipset is faster, more powerful and energy efficient. It has NFC and MST mobile payment as well as dual,wireless charging standard built right in. LTE radio appears to be better. With rapid charging, dual,wireless charging standards and power banks, battery life less of a concern even being so much smaller in the GS6. With cloud storage, data streaming and external storage,devices as well as a larger base storage level, expandable storage in a card not a concern. In addition, with slimmed down UI and less Samsung bloat, there's more useable storage making a card less needed. At the end of the day, it depends upon you and your expectations and needs and whether the G4 might be a better fit.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
... With rapid charging, dual,wireless charging standards and power banks, battery life less of a concern even being so much smaller in the GS6.
Completely disagree...battery life is a concern. The greatest phone in the world is useless if it can't easily get through a normal day on a single charge. The early reviews I've read on the S6 say it has worse battery life than the S5. I know you will say that is unsubstantiated and testing methods vary and blah blah blah. The jury is still out but to me battery life is a concern and if the early reviews turn out to be true, I and many others will pass on the S6.

With cloud storage, data streaming and external storage,devices as well as a larger base storage level, expandable storage in a card not a concern. In addition, with slimmed down UI and less Samsung bloat, there's more useable storage making a card less needed. At the end of the day, it depends upon you and your expectations and needs and whether the G4 might be a better fit.
Again, have to disagree. Many people, including myself, have data caps. Mine is 2G. So constantly streaming content from the cloud is not an option. Also in order to stream you need a data connection, which you might not have everywhere. For example when I was in Europe I had no data connection unless I was on wifi. So again streaming was not an option. Or if you fly a lot, you certainly want the option to store lots of content on your phone. Yes, you can get expanded storage on the phone at $100 for an extra 32G, as opposed to buying a 32G SD card for 15-20 bucks. For some, the extra cost might be a concern. Not a deal breaker for me but I have seen many posts where people said they wouldn't get the S6 because no SD card.

Borbor Carzola

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
The greatest phone in the world is the IP6 and the S6 has similar, if not, better battery. In addition, the greatest phone in the world lacks an SD slot. You are not wrong, these are concerns of many, but I believe that are a minority.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Completely disagree...battery life is a concern. The greatest phone in the world is useless if it can't easily get through a normal day on a single charge. The early reviews I've read on the S6 say it has worse battery life than the S5.

well, S5 has one of best battery test results so far (with properly installed lollipop), so s6, even if worse, should be able to get most people through the day. I mean, it still on par with iphone 6, g3, nexus 6, 1+1.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Completely disagree...battery life is a concern. The greatest phone in the world is useless if it can't easily get through a normal day on a single charge. The early reviews I've read on the S6 say it has worse battery life than the S5. I know you will say that is unsubstantiated and testing methods vary and blah blah blah. The jury is still out but to me battery life is a concern and if the early reviews turn out to be true, I and many others will pass on the S6.

Again, have to disagree. Many people, including myself, have data caps. Mine is 2G. So constantly streaming content from the cloud is not an option. Also in order to stream you need a data connection, which you might not have everywhere. For example when I was in Europe I had no data connection unless I was on wifi. So again streaming was not an option. Or if you fly a lot, you certainly want the option to store lots of content on your phone. Yes, you can get expanded storage on the phone at $100 for an extra 32G, as opposed to buying a 32G SD card for 15-20 bucks. For some, the extra cost might be a concern. Not a deal breaker for me but I have seen many posts where people said they wouldn't get the S6 because no SD card.

Great points. Whatever you choose to believe is up to you, more recent reviews would seem to suggest that comparable results are reasonable to expect from the GS6. Have seen the last firmware changes in the latest test units? Not sure since we haven't seen reviews from other more well known reviewer. I didn't say battery life was not more important but it shouldn't be the overall decision point unless it is horribly abysmal which is not the case based upon what we know so far. I have traveled for business and pleasure and I have never seen a battery swapped.

When I got my GS4, I got the 16GB model and a 64GB card. At that point, the UI and the Samsung and carrier bloat was so heavy that a card was necessary. Although the 32GB GS6 should be adequate for most, I am getting the 64GB because I have always gotten the base model at launch. With the GS6 more streamlined and slimmer UI and less Samsung bloat, there should be plenty of useable storage. I haven't saved anything to my card in the last year or so and I don't miss it. In the past, I have tried to carry as much as the device will store. However, based upon what I have read, I am ready to ditch my digital pack rate ways. Does this mean that I won't travel with what I absolutely need? No. I am simply jettisoning all the things that I haven't used in years but carried around for years.

If the lack of expandable storage and battery life don't meet your expectations and needs, buy another device. IMO, it is ok to be disappointed with the exclusion of features that you think you need but to dismiss our comments as if we have not considered the situation thoughtfully and made a decision we are fine, that is what gets me. The exclusion of the card seems to be horrible to some that they aren't willing to keep an open mind. Three weeks after its debut and a couple of weeks before the US launch and still the I won't buy it because there is no card or swappable battery/I won't buy it still persists. We get that but are interested in future reviews and are keeping an open mind.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11