Samsung Galaxy S6 Scratch-resistant Glass Over Camera Lenses ?

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Anyone have any details about the glass type covering the camera lenses on the S6? Is it Gorilla glass? Sapphire like the iPhone? Or just regular glass?

I have a Nexus 5 that has a scratch just off-center of the lenses, and I can't really be sure if it is affecting the photo quality because the Nexus 5 takes such horrendous photos in real-life situations anyway.

I used to think that Apple's hype about "sapphire" glass covering their camera was just typical Apple fluff. But now I can see how having a scratch over the lenses could really make the camera on a phone useless as the focus point is constantly being thrown off.

Any idea what Samsung did with their camera glass in the S6?

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Scratch-resistant Glass Over Camera Lenses ?

I'm not sure 100% what it has, but one reviewer cracked the glass covering the camera during testing. He was attempting to stand it up on concrete for a picture when it fell over and hit the concrete. He stated that it cracked the glass protecting the camera, but didn't harm image quality as the crack wasn't in the camera's view. Still disconcerting though.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Get a rugged case which should protect it by creating a lip deep enough that the Lense no longer protrudes. Every Defender case that I have had has this feature.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

As much as I want to not use a case with this phone, I'm starting to realize that the majority of time I will have to be using a case. The camera lens is a big thing as well as the unprotected sides if you get an edge version. This thing is not meant to be dropped.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site

A case will not prevent scratching. Inadvertently placing the phone in a pocket with a set of keys, or merely a grain of sand, could easily scratch regular glass, case or not.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

As much as I want to not use a case with this phone, I'm starting to realize that the majority of time I will have to be using a case. The camera lens is a big thing as well as the unprotected sides if you get an edge version. This thing is not meant to be dropped.

Ballistic has a case for the Edge. I believe that it has a screen protector. Had a Defender case and never had the lense scratched.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

bcolton

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I called Samsung and was on hold for 15 minutes while they confirmed. The front and back are Gorilla Glass 4; however, the glass covering the camera is regular glass.

S6ER

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
The glass on the phone is extremely resistant to scratching. Prior to my S6 I had a hand me down Motorola Droid that I could care less about. I decided to test out the glass durability. Just me, the phone and my pockets. I bounced it around quite a bit in 1 year and not a single scratch is to be seen on that glass.

I'm convinced the glass can with hold scratches. Cracks are a different story.

Now that doesnt mean I dont protect my S6