Samsung Galaxy S6 Technical camera details - Seeking knowledge please!

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: Technical camera details - Seeking knowledge please!

lets be honest here. the 1.9 lenses allowing more light does not mean your photo will automatically look good in the dark. if anything since the lens will also be open longer anyway, unless you're on a tripod or your subjects are completely still, it'll just come out blurry.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

lets be honest here. the 1.9 lenses allowing more light does not mean your photo will automatically look good in the dark. if anything since the lens will also be open longer anyway, unless you're on a tripod or your subjects are completely still, it'll just come out blurry.

Looks like you need to learn more about photography basics. Faster lens aperture means you can dial back on ISO and exposure time to achieve the same level of exposure. This would result in much cleaner image with less noise and less motion blur due to shorter exposure time. Slower lens (high F number) will be like what you are saying as that would need longer exposure.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site

Looks like you need to learn more about photography basics. Faster lens aperture means you can dial back on ISO and exposure time to achieve the same level of exposure. This would result in much cleaner image with less noise and less motion blur due to shorter exposure time. Slower lens (high F number) will be like what you are saying as that would need longer exposure.

like i said, you're still working in LOW LIGHT. regardless of the faster lens aperture, unless you're using a tripod or have extremely still subject matter, it'll still come out blurry because even if your exposure were shorter, you're still not likely gonna be shooting at 1/60 or even close to that.

one review of the camera said in their average low light photos, the s6 chose around 1/10 shutter speed most of the time. thats way too slow to capture a typical usable photo (once again, unless you're using a tripod or extremely still subject matter)

that being said, the camera is the biggest selling point for me and could be enough for me to leave my iphone and jump to android.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

like i said, you're still working in LOW LIGHT. regardless of the faster lens aperture, unless you're using a tripod or have extremely still subject matter, it'll still come out blurry because even if your exposure were shorter, you're still not likely gonna be shooting at 1/60 or even close to that.

one review of the camera said in their average low light photos, the s6 chose around 1/10 shutter speed most of the time. thats way too slow to capture a typical usable photo (once again, unless you're using a tripod or extremely still subject matter)

And that's where the optical image stabilization comes in.

Posted via Android Central App

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

3. I'd argue that the Sony sensor in the iPhone 6 (f-stop 2.2, 1.5 micron sensor) is better as it has a larger physical active sensor which captures more information for processing. Having a wider lens is nice, but that information has to hit the sensor for it to be useable. Larger sensor = more information.
The pixels of the iPhone 6 sensor are larger (1.5 microns vs 1.2 microns) but the tradeoff is MP. The iPhone 6 sensor is 1/3" and is smaller than the 1/2.6" S6 sensor.

sensorsizes.jpg

Real-time HDR being done before the image is taken doesn't beat or mean it's any better. It's just a feature Samsung has added. Doesn't mean that the end result is any better, and the end result is all that matters.

I'd rather no real-time HDR and the images being great over having real-time HDR and having mediocre HDR images.
I haven't been able to find an explanation for the voodoo that is Samsung's real time HDR, but it performs as well if not better than traditional HDR in all the camera phone shootouts I've seen. But the real advantage is that it doesn't require multiple shots, meaning you can use it for action shots. Having the preview is also a great feature. If the HDR images from the Galaxy cameras was merely software post processing, the images would have all sorts of artifacting and weird patches (like the fake bokeh modes). They don't. They're awesome.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

that being said, the camera is the biggest selling point for me and could be enough for me to leave my iphone and jump to android.

I get your point. But you were talking like even F/1.9 won't help with low light which is not true. If S6 gets 1/10s exposure, other phones with higher F/number will take even longer in exposure given the same ISO. They will have to bump up ISO to get the same exposure time as F/1.9 lens, but that will bring more noise into image.

flippedout

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

There is a lot of talk about technical capabilities of different sensors, lenses, etc but in the end it comes down to the user. I have seen some absolutely horrible photos taken with the iPhone 6 and I have seen amazing photos taken with the Galaxy Nexus. Great hardware can help but I believe it is the photographer that is going to make a great photo.

As an example, a coworker purchased the iPhone 6 recently because her "Droid" (hate it when people call everything not Apple a Droid) took horribly pictures. She then showed me some new pics taken with the iPhone and they were no better.

If the people the OP is trying to recommend a phone to are half decent at taking photos - understand how to compose a shot, understand lighting and the importance of a steady hand - either the iPhone or S6 will be perfect for them. In fact, I would argue most phones will do them just fine (LG3, N6, Note 4, S5, Z3, M9, etc).

If these are people who don't know what a DSLR is, don't understand how to compose a shot I would again say either the iPhone, S6, LG3, Note 4, Z3, etc. will do them well.

You also have to look at how the photos will be shared. Are they just posting to social, emailing or are they printing large 8x10 prints? If they aren't printing large photos, pretty much every phone out there will be just fine.

All that being said, I am really excited to give the S6 camera a whirl. I am also excited it has the Camera2 API so we can use Manual Camera. That app is great on my N5.

GokuMK

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site

I haven't been able to find an explanation for the voodoo that is Samsung's real time HDR, but it performs as well if not better than traditional HDR in all the camera phone shootouts I've seen. But the real advantage is that it doesn't require multiple shots, meaning you can use it for action shots.
I think it's firmware hack similar to dual ISO in canon unofficial firmware http://linuxdingsda.de/~wintix/dual_iso.pdf
It's better than software HDR becouse it looks like DSLR sensor with amazing DR while software HDR often looks like not natural art. It's best camera feature ever. It works width videos and they look better than most videos from DSLRs. It's absolutely awesome.
I'm almost sure it's dual ISO hack becouse I'm making hours long videos width HDR enabled and my galaxy s5 is cold all the time. In case of software trick the phone would be very hot due to high CPU usage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkhoTx4LEJI
Resolution with HDR seems to be lower which also points to dual ISO hack.

I hope s6 and all new samsung cameras will do the same trick as s5.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I get your point. But you were talking like even F/1.9 won't help with low light which is not true. If S6 gets 1/10s exposure, other phones with higher F/number will take even longer in exposure given the same ISO. They will have to bump up ISO to get the same exposure time as F/1.9 lens, but that will bring more noise into image.

@ Jdroids.. Off topic here, I apologize but please check your PM's ;)

Paul
Mod Team Leader @ AC.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

I think it's firmware hack similar to dual ISO in canon unofficial firmware http://linuxdingsda.de/~wintix/dual_iso.pdf
It's better than software HDR becouse it looks like DSLR sensor with amazing DR while software HDR often looks like not natural art. It's best camera feature ever. It works width videos and they look better than most videos from DSLRs. It's absolutely awesome.
It is the greatest camera feature ever. Seriously. What I can't understand is why nobody talks about it in the reviews and shootouts. The one place where someone was really raving about it was on a Lumia enthusiast site of all places. Even here on AC, there was an article on HDR and it didn't even mention the real-time feature on the S5 and Note 4. Your explanation makes a lot of sense. But I knew regardless that it was not a mere software hack. The results are too good to be algorithms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781