Samsung Not Offering Protection Plus Mobile Elite for Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge

hhmorgan

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I was interested to get the Samsung Protection Plus Mobile Elite plan for my Galaxy S6 purchase. They have it for the S4/S5 and Note 3/4/4 Edge.

I got this response from Samsung customer support on the question -
"As of now, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5, Note 3 and Note 4 on the T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, Metro PCS, and US Cellular carrier networks are eligible for Protection plus mobile elite and the Galaxy S6 is not eligible for Protection plus mobile Elite program. " :eek:

I wonder why they are abandoning this program for their new flagship device?

I've always liked this type protection supported by the OEM rather than the carrier or insurance provider as they control the OEM parts market.

Anyone else that was looking for this type protection?

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I had planned on getting it. It may just not be on option yet since the phone isn't released yet and once April 10th rolls around you'll be able to get it, or since it's an all glass phone they just don't want to mess with doing with their own insurance due to cost..

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
All the carriers have their own insurance programs and make a decent amount from them. They probably asked Samsung to not offer it...the carriers also handle unlocking and software updates anyway.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I would guess at this point it was a just because the phone hasn't even been officially released yet.

Posted via Android Central App

hhmorgan

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Just go with a third party company. The ones offered by carriers are a rip-off.

Posted via the Android Central App

Actually the Samsung plan is very similar to square trade's plan. And very reasonable (in my opinion).

$99 for 2 years and $75 deductible. Doesn't cover loss or theft but accident, liquids and extended warranty.

I've done my own screen replacements for my wife's Siii and they are $75 each with all the liability on me if repair is botched. Also those screen prices were non-OEM. With S6's new screen and glass back it's going to be a more expensive proposition to repair and also void warranty if done in 1st year.

So Samsung's plan was much better value to get OEM parts and service. IMHO

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I hope after April 10th Samsung does include the S6 in this protection plan. It's much cheaper than AT&T's (Asurion) plan, (although, it doesn't cover theft or loss). My biggest concern is cracked glass (back or front) from a drop. Looking around, it seems changing out a S5 glass front runs about $150, so this 2-yr plan seems reasonable as it also covers other things than just glass breakage.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm hopeful for that as well. The AT&T plan is really bad, especially if you are on Next. The only thing is cost wise it might not make sense for Samsung to do it if people are breaking the glass left and right. If they do offer it I'd be willing to bet there is a clause in there that say you get one shattered back glass repair or something along those lines.

hhmorgan

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I've been returning to the Samsung Accessories page each day since launch - and finally,

Samsung Protection Plus℠ Mobile Elite* for Galaxy S® 4, Galaxy S® 5 and Galaxy S® 6| Samsung Mobile

and
Samsung Protection Plus ℠ Mobile Elite* for Galaxy Note ® 3, Galaxy Note ® 4, Samsung Galaxy Note ® Edge and Galaxy S ® 6 edge | Samsung Mobile

Title may not say the Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge on your first visit but I refreshed several times and it finally came through.

So Samsung is offering the same great protection for it's new flagship device at reasonable prices (i.e. remember this does not cover loss or theft).

Last edited:

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Wow, great catch! I got an email response back from Samsung this morning, and they told me that the s6 wouldn't be covered under this plan. So this is really good news. Thanks!

jlinz

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Well now I'm torn between going with Squaretrade or with Samsung's plan for the S6. They have very similar terms and conditions. Any thoughts out there on which would be better?

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I know that a lot of people like SquareTrade, but I've also read a lot of bad reviews online. My hope, is that Samsung will do a better job at providing refurbished or new phones under this plan.

hhmorgan

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Couple of things to keep in my mind:

Samsung:
15-day waiting period before coverage begins. So early rather than later if your interested.
Limited to 3 claims over a 2 year period
As stated before no loss or theft
Must be enrolled within 30 days of purchase date (i.e. credit card charge date) or coverage will be denied.

Square Trade (i have several existing plans on other stuff - tv and nexus 7 but I've never had to use the coverage, did have a Kindle coverage previously that was paid for with credit/gift card when damaged):

Good comparison of all plans and carrier plans here to make your own mind up
Cell Phone Insurance Plans Compared: What's Worth It?

For me with a "brand new" device and the glass component I would like to stick with OEM components/replacement thru the OEM if all else is equal.

Last edited:

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Awesome! I noticed a link and some info about it on my 'thank you for registering email' so I figured it's only be a matter of time before it popped up.

This may make me keep the phone for a full 2 years this time, though you can cancel it and get money back that's prorated for the amount of time you've had it.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
For the Edge the Samsung plan is the best option. No way I'd trust a third party to replace that screen.

Posted via Android Central App

hhmorgan

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Why would I choose Samsung's insurance over Verizon??

Posted via the Android Central App

Verizon vs Samsung Mobile Elite
Verizon is $9/mo x 24 months = $216 vs $99/$129 (S6/Edge)
Deductible for Galaxy S6/Edge is $149/199 vs $75/$95
claims are 2 vs 3
Verizon does cover loss and theft though and Samsung or others do not.

Last edited:

fritzo81

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Verizon vs Samsung Mobile Elite
Verizon is $9/mo x 24 months = $216 vs $99/$129 (S6/Edge)
Deductible for Galaxy S6/Edge is $149/199 vs $75/$95
claims are 2 vs 3
Verizon does cover loss and theft though and Samsung or others do not.

I'm leaning towards getting Verizon simply for the Loss and Theft coverage. I'm not accident prone. So its more than likely I'd lose my phone or get robbed for it (I live in a large city).