Hands-on experiences at brick and mortar stores--reader thoughts (S6/S6E preference)?

brybelle22

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
If you've gotten a chance to get some hands-on time with the S6 and/or S6E, I'm interested in hearing what reader thoughts are on the two new phones. I'm leaning towards the S6E, but its cost bump and in-hand feel are leaving me somewhat undecided. Cost isn't that big of an issue and I'm hoping that a slim case will help with the "sharpness" of the edge and still keep the phone slim.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I feel the same way. Cost a little less of an issue since I'm on Verizon installment plan, so the Edge is only $700 total. For $800+ at the other guys I'd definitely pass, but I like how it looks and will likely get it. Just trying to decide black or white. I always have had black phones, so maybe I'll try white this time - I think it looks a little better.

sandoff

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the white comment. I've never pulled the trigger on a white phone but this time I might have to because it looks that much better! Played with both in the store today and honestly the Edge does feel a little sharper in the hand I feel like it looks much better than the standard S6.

I'm going with the 64GB Edge in White, the day Verizon pre-orders open!

Posted via the Android Central App

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Went to Best Buy today. Played with the S6 and Edge. I don't like the Edge as much, the edge where the curve meets the metal is sharp.

The regular S6 is smooth and amazing. There is a slight curved glass edges like the Nexus 4 that makes swiping off screen feel great. The in hand feel is amazing. The curves on the metal band feels so great.

The phone is ridiculously fast. Camera, swiping through apps everything is just fast and smooth. Camera pops up in a split second and takes photos super fast too. I was impressed by the video editing ability. Trimming, slow motion control, etc. And it just looks intuitive too.

Speaker is loud. Seems clear to me as much as it could be inside a best buy.

I am so pumped for this phone. Love it

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Went to the local BestBuys and looked at the S6 and Edge.
I went with the regular S6 in white as it looked the best.
Personally did not see the need to spend $100 more on the edge as it did not seem to be worth the extra amount for the wow factor.
You can't go wrong with either versions or colors as this is a great phone.
Can't wait till April 10th!

SharkyNY

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I think I'm leaning towards the regular S6, mainly because I just don't know if the edges offer some real ground breaking functionality. I did like how the edge felt for the most part though. It was sharp, but not uncomfortably so. Its just noticeable.

But I have to say, Samsung really hit it out of the park with the feel/ergonomics of both. I don't think it can be said enough. And while I'm also considering the M9 it just feels like its getting harder and harder to justify possibly getting it over the S6.

I also tried out the speaker and like dwd3885 said, it sounded pretty good and loud. Some of the reviews I'm reading say that it isn't all that loud, but honestly it sounded adequate enough for me.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Oh one other thing I forgot to mention, they had one unit on the wireless charging pad. When I picked up the unit that was utilizing it, I noticed that it was considerably warmer than the other non wireless charging S6.
I'm assuming that's normal for wireless charging?
I think I'll skip it for now. It may have long term implications on battery health if your planning on keeping the phone for years to come.

SharkyNY

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Oh one other thing I forgot to mention, they had one unit on the wireless charging pad. When I picked up the unit that was utilizing it, I noticed that it was considerably warmer than the other non wireless charging S6.
I'm assuming that's normal for wireless charging?
I think I'll skip it for now. It may have long term implications on battery health if your planning on keeping the phone for years to come.

Same here. I do believe phones typically get warmer when wireless charging. I never really used that capability on my Nexus 4 since I have no problem plugging my phone in.

flamingoezz

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Anyone see gold demos at bestbuy? Was thinking of preordering there for the free wireless charger, but since they don't have gold available for preorder on the site, I wasn't sure they'd have a demo of the color in store. Hoping someone who visited can comment. Otherwise, I may end up at AT&T to look

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone see gold demos at bestbuy? Was thinking of preordering there for the free wireless charger, but since they don't have gold available for preorder on the site, I wasn't sure they'd have a demo of the color in store. Hoping someone who visited can comment. Otherwise, I may end up at AT&T to look

Just saw white and black

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I just got back from Best Buy and was able to spend some hands-on time with both the S6 and S6 Edge. Coming from the Nexus 6, the size difference is a bit of a shock, but both devices felt extremely premium. If you're coming from a phone with a curved back, the flatness of the S6/S6 Edge will take some getting used to, but there's no denying just how incredible these devices look and feel. As far as the Edge goes, the sides are slightly sharp, but I'd have to say that I wouldn't let that be a deterent from buying the device if you like everything else about it. The infinity pool look is striking in person. If you want a phone to turn heads, this phone will most certainly do that. Then again, so will the S6.

The display on both phones just isn't fair to other mobile displays. Absolutely puts my Nexus 6 to shame. The Edge has this slight distortion depending on what you're viewing on the screen that gives off this really cool effect. If you've been on Lollipop for awhile, specifically stock Lollipop which utilizes left to right gestures, this phone feels extremely natural to do that on. Not sure if that was intended or not, but it's going to go a long way for me when it comes to usability.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you how quick the camera is. As we've all seen, the quality is going to be on par or better than both the Note 4 and iPhone 6 Plus. In fact, I'd probably rank it ahead of both given that it takes the same ridiculous daylight photos the Note 4 does, but is vastly improved in low light to compete with the 6 Plus. If the camera you have on your phone is of paramount importance, you really can't go wrong with the S6.

Tested the fingerprint sensor---it's milliseconds slower than the iPhone. I tried 10 times from various positions (screen on, screen off) and didn't get it to fail once. I'm going to guess moisture will stop it, though, just like on the iPhone. Speaker is plenty loud; couldn't tell you about the clarity given that it was in a crowded store. Too many people huddled in the Samsung Experience wanting to look at these things. They've got a smash hit on their hands.

I haven't been this excited about a phone in a long, long time. I preordered the S6 Edge in Black Sapphire last night and getting to play with it today more than reinforced my decision. We may be looking at the class of 2015 already, folks. Of course, that is, until the Note 5 comes out. I'm going to guess that it will be the most ridiculous phone we've ever seen.

SharkyNY

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

I don't know if this is true for all carriers as I had already mentioned to the Samsung rep that I was going to be getting it on Verizon, but he told me that it was just white and black for now. The gold and other colors would be coming out later. Just a bit bummed out about that, but I don't mind it too much.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
checked em out today. first impression was a good one, though there's no doubt Samsung has their footprint all over it. at least most preinstalled apps can be disabled.

the edge display is noticeably narrower than its counterpart, and I don't see how a case is gonna be able to fit. they're also extremely light and ridiculously thin.

for a glass phone, and I'm comparing it to the nexus 4, the grip isn't bad at all. it's definitely a gorgeous phone, but Samsung led us to believe there would be less bloat, and I'm just not seeing it. that said, it's a big improvement from the TW of a few years ago.

overall, they're both extremely fast and the display blows every other phone out of the water. I was hoping for 1080, thinking the difference is minimal and I'd rather less battery drainage. I might still prefer the extra battery strength, we'll soon see, but there is a very noticeable difference, the screen, and the phone for that matter definitely has the wow factor.

obviously not perfect, we all know it's short comings, but Samsung is definitely back in a big way!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've handled them. Where's the SD slot? Oh, there is none. How do you get the battery out? Oh, you don't.

No thanks. If they give me one free I'll put it on Swappa, but I wouldn't even waste time opening the box. And if that's the "next big thing" with Samsung - no SD card and no replaceable battery - I'll keep my current phone until there are some Project Ara phones available, or someone else comes out with a usable phone. (How do you reboot a hard-bricked phone without an external SD card? Oh, you don't, you just buy a new one. Not me.)

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
the edge display is noticeably narrower than its counterpart, and I don't see how a case is gonna be able to fit. they're also extremely light and ridiculously thin.

This was one thing that pushed be to get the S6 over the Edge..... I'm already coming down from a G3 screen size, I don't want even smaller (even though its not actually smaller than the regular 5.1".. but seems like it because of the narrowness you mentioned). IMO.

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Gold and all the other colors is gonna be a holdout for now as I was wanting it to usually here in the states we always get black and white and over seas they get the other colors first I had a chance to play with the phone yesterday lucky me the fill in the hand is amazing the display as good my note 4 edge TouchWiz is much faster then my note edge and the camera is the best ever in any phone sorry note 4 owner it's the best and I shoot with a dslr I'm going with the white as there is no gold one in the pipe line

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I've handled them. Where's the SD slot? Oh, there is none. How do you get the battery out? Oh, you don't.

No thanks. If they give me one free I'll put it on Swappa, but I wouldn't even waste time opening the box. And if that's the "next big thing" with Samsung - no SD card and no replaceable battery - I'll keep my current phone until there are some Project Ara phones available, or someone else comes out with a usable phone. (How do you reboot a hard-bricked phone without an external SD card? Oh, you don't, you just buy a new one. Not me.)

Solid contribution.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
If you've gotten a chance to get some hands-on time with the S6 and/or S6E, I'm interested in hearing what reader thoughts are on the two new phones. I'm leaning towards the S6E, but its cost bump and in-hand feel are leaving me somewhat undecided. Cost isn't that big of an issue and I'm hoping that a slim case will help with the "sharpness" of the edge and still keep the phone slim.

Tried both phones today, preferred the s6 edge by far. The s6 is nice, but it just didn't do it for me this time. The Edge is comfortable to hold (not sure why some have reported sharp edges?) The phone was fast despite AT&T bloat (I tried it at their store and a best buy). I don't think I'll use a case with my edge because the phone looks so good in black. I might order one just in case I decide I want one on it but I'll probably end up case-less like my note.