Anyone undecided about the S6?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJsPTkj1Z1k

Just watching the Android Central podcast where Andrew Martonik goes into discussing the S6. He seems pretty so-so about it. Mentions it's still very much the same experience as any other Samsung phone, not a radically changed one. Says the battery life is an issue for him, not lasting as long as he'd like and mentions that there is lag though it seems hit and miss. Sometimes it'll just lag and slow down and he can't pinpoint exactly what it's doing that. He mentions that the phone isn't as fast or as smooth as last year's HTC One M8...

To me this is a bit worrying. I don't want to go to a phone that slower and has less battery life than the one I currently own. Kinda don't know what to do haha. I'll check out the S6 when it's released here, but I'm hesitant on pulling the trigger after hearing this. Have to read reviews on speed and battery. Might wait and see what LG and Sony come up with.

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Having had only a brief experience with the Edge after preordering my GS6, my initial impressions that despite,the novelty of the design, I just can't justify the price. If it had the full Note functionality, then maybe. The GS6 felt so much better in the hand and had a more solid premium feel to it. The Edge bezels had a definite fine feel that want knife edge sharp but noticeable enough that it lacked the solid feel that I was expecting. Both are great. Fast. Smooth as butter. I want to say greased lightning. No noticeable lag at all. The camera looks awesome. It really comes down to a personal choice from an aesthetic and functional perspective versus the practicality and value decison.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Just watching the Android Central podcast where Andrew Martonik goes into discussing the S6. He seems pretty so-so about it. Mentions it's still very much the same experience as any other Samsung phone, not a radically changed one. Says the battery life is an issue for him, not lasting as long as he'd like and mentions that there is lag though it seems hit and miss. Sometimes it'll just lag and slow down and he can't pinpoint exactly what it's doing that. He mentions that the phone isn't as fast or as smooth as last year's HTC One M8...

To me this is a bit worrying. I don't want to go to a phone that slower and has less battery life than the one I currently own. Kinda don't know what to do haha. I'll check out the S6 when it's released here, but I'm hesitant on pulling the trigger after hearing this. Have to read reviews on speed and battery. Might wait and see what LG and Sony come up with.

Given Android's architecture it could just be a rouge app he has running, assuming that in testing the device he hasn't left it completely stock. My guess is it's a rouge app.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Given Android's architecture it could just be a rouge app he has running, assuming that in testing the device he hasn't left it completely stock. My guess is it's a rouge app.

Possibly. He didn't mention any rogue app or unusual behaviour. But did mention it's just not as fast as last years phone. UI speed and fluidity are really important to me. Little stutters and lag really irritate me. I don't want to drop hundreds of dollars on a phone that is slower and has less battery than my current one.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The main complaint was about battery but .. for my needs I can manage (near a wall usually) and I bought a wireless pad for home so .. I think I will be okay.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Almost any phone gets so so review by at least a few reviewers no matter how good it is. The problem with subjective real word reviews is we have no idea how he/she is using the phone with what apps under what conditions. That's why I mainly look at reviews like Anandtech, GSMarena, PA. The only way to tell for sure is to try out yourself and decide within 14 days.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I'll respectfully disagree here. The S6 is every bit as fast as the M8. I can't speak on battery life (nor can anyone after 24 hours). The experience is ultimately going to be similar because while aesthetically Touchwiz has changed a little and it's infinitely faster, the whole package is similar in function to a Note 4 or S5 running Lollipop.

Posted via the Android Central App

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Try not to let others sway your decision too much...will the battery be enough to carry you through the day. I'd go to a store and take a look yourself and see... I think this phone is good enough to fit anyone's needs

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The main complaint was about battery but .. for my needs I can manage (near a wall usually) and I bought a wireless pad for home so .. I think I will be okay.

Fair enough, but there are times where I'm not near a charger and can't get to one. I'm usually in the office, but I do end up out on the field and might not be back till late at night. These instances my M8 can just last long enough, sometimes I turn my One to low power mode just in case. Might have to start doing that earlier on the S6.

I'll respectfully disagree here. The S6 is every bit as fast as the M8. I can't speak on battery life (nor can anyone after 24 hours). The experience is ultimately going to be similar because while aesthetically Touchwiz has changed a little and it's infinitely faster, the whole package is similar in function to a Note 4 or S5 running Lollipop.

Well it sounds like both Andrew Martonik and Alex Dobie of AC both has issues with the speed/fluidity of the S6. Commenting that it's almost unacceptable by now. I haven't used the S6, so I'm just going off what Andrew was saying in the podcast. Hearing that it's not as fast as my current phone....is pretty worrying. Of course will have to test and see myself.

And the whole package similar in function to the Note 4...that's another issue for me. I don't like Touchwiz, never have and didn't like the Note 4 on it (which is why I got rid of it after just over a week). Was hoping that the S6 and 'project zero' would be a complete revamp of the UI and software. Not sure if just running Google Now launcher will be enough to hide TW or if I may have to look into roms (something I haven't had to do in years...).

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough, but there are times where I'm not near a charger and can't get to one. I'm usually in the office, but I do end up out on the field and might not be back till late at night. These instances my M8 can just last long enough, sometimes I turn my One to low power mode just in case. Might have to start doing that earlier on the S6.

Buy a power bar. They are small and fast and perfect for the situation you describe. Jackery makes one that is about the size of a lighter so it's not cumbersome to charge while in your pocket. Not as convenient as popping in a new battery, but it gets the job done.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Buy a power bar. They are small and fast and perfect for the situation you describe. Jackery makes one that is about the size of a lighter so it's not cumbersome to charge while in your pocket. Not as convenient as popping in a new battery, but it gets the job done.

Yeah that could be an option.

Ironically a removable battery would have been useful, but maybe a power pack is the next best option (of course aside from improved battery life).

austriak

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I checked the s6 and s6 curve out at best buy and everything Andrew said were concerns I walked away with. Software really isn't that different and I found it to stutter and lag some. Battery was also questionable. It was dropping quickly (not connected to power, there were wireless charges out).

I was pretty gung-ho to pre order but after playing with it, I don't think I will get it. If you love the s5 and s4, you will love the s6. If you did not, you won't. It really is more like an s5 in a new body.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Well it sounds like both Andrew Martonik and Alex Dobie of AC both has issues with the speed/fluidity of the S6. Commenting that it's almost unacceptable by now. I haven't used the S6, so I'm just going off what Andrew was saying in the podcast. Hearing that it's not as fast as my current phone....is pretty worrying. Of course will have to test and see myself.

And the whole package similar in function to the Note 4...that's another issue for me. I don't like Touchwiz, never have and didn't like the Note 4 on it (which is why I got rid of it after just over a week). Was hoping that the S6 and 'project zero' would be a complete revamp of the UI and software. Not sure if just running Google Now launcher will be enough to hide TW or if I may have to look into roms (something I haven't had to do in years...).

I'm used to the Nexus 6 (I've had it since day one) and my time with the S6 showed that it is definitely as fluid or even more so than the Nexus 6. Keep in mind that you're dealing with a QHD display and the older processors like the 805 were stretched on dealing with it. The Exynos is more than capable of handling the QHD display and the speed of the RAM and storage make the S6 extremely quick.

If we're going by reviews, which I definitely urge you to take with a grain of salt, far more reviews or mini reviews so far are stating the exact opposite.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
This is the reason I've been taking a close look at the Oneplus One as a temporary phone, ready to upgrade to a more refined model later this year

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I checked the s6 and s6 curve out at best buy and everything Andrew said were concerns I walked away with. Software really isn't that different and I found it to stutter and lag some. Battery was also questionable. It was dropping quickly (not connected to power, there were wireless charges out).

I was pretty gung-ho to pre order but after playing with it, I don't think I will get it. If you love the s5 and s4, you will love the s6. If you did not, you won't. It really is more like an s5 in a new body.

I'm seeing more comments like these pop up.

I was set on the S6, but I think I'll have to definitely test it out and check for any deficiencies before I commit to it.

I didn't like the S3, S4 or S5 at all. Thought both the hardware and software were way behind other OEM's. Seems like Samsung have upped their hardware, but may still be catching up with the software?

Thanks for all the comments. I think I'll just have to check it out and decide for myself. You can read impressions as much as you like, but ultimately the most important one will be my own.

I had passed off the M9, but after using it, I did like it quite a bit. If the S6 doesn't impress, then the M9 is an option. That or I can wait for the G4/Z4.

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm used to the Nexus 6 (I've had it since day one) and my time with the S6 showed that it is definitely as fluid or even more so than the Nexus 6. Keep in mind that you're dealing with a QHD display and the older processors like the 805 were stretched on dealing with it. The Exynos is more than capable of handling the QHD display and the speed of the RAM and storage make the S6 extremely quick.

If we're going by reviews, which I definitely urge you to take with a grain of salt, far more reviews or mini reviews so far are stating the exact opposite.

Are you referring to n6 post 5.1 as well

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes. It really didn't change the performance much. Closing an app stalls on the side of the screen all the time.

Mine is way smoother and more fluid than before, think I'm gonna hold off on s6 till its in everyone's hands.

Hectorius

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Very good valid points, reason I'm going to wait a month or so after launch. Everybody at this point loves the new S6, but give it a month or two and lets see what people are saying then.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith