Wired GS6 Review

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
odd that they say the camera still isn't as good as the iphone though.

I think that's the general consensus. It's a very good camera - the best on an Android phone, but just falls short of the iPhone 6.

Nothing to be ashamed of though. Apple have always had stellar cameras on their phones and the S6 looks like it's close.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I think that's the general consensus. It's a very good camera - the best on an Android phone, but just falls short of the iPhone 6.

Nothing to be ashamed of though. Apple have always had stellar cameras on their phones and the S6 looks like it's close.

Just wondering, with more artifacts, lower resolution, white balance off just as much as the S6 or worse, I'm wondering what makes the ip6 better?

Posted via the Android Central App

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering, with more artifacts, lower resolution, white balance off just as much as the S6 or worse, I'm wondering what makes the ip6 better?

I think the iPhone 6 handles low light better with less artifacts, and doesn't over-aggressively lighten up low light shots and from what I can tell, doesn't tend to make images look yellow in low light situations. I think low light situations in particular, the iP6 does better job at reducing noise an has better colour accuracy. From what I've seen anyway.

Again, it's not like the two cameras are miles apart, for me the iP6 edges out the S6 just marginally.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I think the iPhone 6 handles low light better with less artifacts, and doesn't over-aggressively lighten up low light shots and from what I can tell, doesn't tend to make images look yellow in low light situations. I think low light situations in particular, the iP6 does better job at reducing noise an has better colour accuracy. From what I've seen anyway.

Again, it's not like the two cameras are miles apart, for me the iP6 edges out the S6 just marginally.

I'll buy that

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I wouldn't say the iPhone 6+ has a better camera this time around. While sometimes the S6 will skew towards a warmer tone in low light, it still picks up more detail. Generally the warmer tones are in extremely poor lighting conditions, anyways. The ability to use manual controls is a huge bonus for the S6 in that regard, as well.

Ease of use is probably the best thing about the iPhone 6+ camera, but the S6 is just as easy to use. It's also quicker to launch from anywhere with the new camera shortcut.

While I would consider the low light category a toss up depending on the scenario, day time photos go to the S6. There's certain shots I've seen the iPhone 6+ get better color accuracy, but others it hasn't. The detail and use of HDR seems to go in the S6's favor.

The ability to shoot 4K video is also a huge advantage for the S6. Video stabilization in 1080p looks fantastic, too. I think it's hard for reviewers to concede these things when it comes to Apple, but overall in performance and capability, the S6 is probably the better camera, but by the thinnest of margins.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Wow. Wired is viewed as a premier tech publication so if they rate it higher than an iPhone that's pretty spectacular. It was a good review.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't say the iPhone 6+ has a better camera this time around. While sometimes the S6 will skew towards a warmer tone in low light, it still picks up more detail. Generally the warmer tones are in extremely poor lighting conditions, anyways. The ability to use manual controls is a huge bonus for the S6 in that regard, as well.

Ease of use is probably the best thing about the iPhone 6+ camera, but the S6 is just as easy to use. It's also quicker to launch from anywhere with the new camera shortcut.

While I would consider the low light category a toss up depending on the scenario, day time photos go to the S6. There's certain shots I've seen the iPhone 6+ get better color accuracy, but others it hasn't. The detail and use of HDR seems to go in the S6's favor.

The ability to shoot 4K video is also a huge advantage for the S6. Video stabilization in 1080p looks fantastic, too. I think it's hard for reviewers to concede these things when it comes to Apple, but overall in performance and capability, the S6 is probably the better camera, but by the thinnest of margins.

to be fair, you can also use manual controls on an iphone. there are plenty of 3rd party apps that let you do this. and anyone who can jailbreak an iphone can assign a double tap on the home button to launch the camera as well.

as for 4k recording, isn't it limited to 5 minutes or your phone will basically overheat?

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
to be fair, you can also use manual controls on an iphone. there are plenty of 3rd party apps that let you do this. and anyone who can jailbreak an iphone can assign a double tap on the home button to launch the camera as well.

as for 4k recording, isn't it limited to 5 minutes or your phone will basically overheat?

The ability to use manual controls in the main camera app is what I was going for there. Anyone can download third party apps. Again, I wasn't talking about the ability of the camera after root or jailbreak, either, but I understand where you're going with it. As far as 4K video goes, I do believe the limit is 5 minutes, but that may be for file size as well as the strain on the hardware. Either way, it can still do it where the iPhone cannot.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I've seen pretty fair reviews all around. Let's face it - this and the iPhone 6 are pretty damn near equals in every department - aesthetics, ergonomics, performance, battery life, camera, fingerprint sensing. only screen is different - the S6 is better, but the iP6 is still excellent. The decision between the two comes down to iOS or TouchWizzed Android (or perhaps screen size). If you are tied in to iOS, you'll probably stick to it. If, like my wife, you are bored of iOS, there are now no compromises if you want to check out Android. And the reverse holds true as well, now that version 7 has brought iOS pretty close to feature parity with Android.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I've seen pretty fair reviews all around. Let's face it - this and the iPhone 6 are pretty damn near equals in every department - aesthetics, ergonomics, performance, battery life, camera, fingerprint sensing. only screen is different - the S6 is better, but the iP6 is still excellent. The decision between the two comes down to iOS or TouchWizzed Android (or perhaps screen size). If you are tied in to iOS, you'll probably stick to it. If, like my wife, you are bored of iOS, there are now no compromises if you want to check out Android. And the reverse holds true as well, now that version 7 has brought iOS pretty close to feature parity with Android.

Agree. Nice to finally have a sense of parody between Android and iOS. More options for consumers.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

As a iPhone 6 and now S6 owner I 100% agree with this.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
As a iPhone 6 and now S6 owner I 100% agree with this.

I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time but I recall an earlier review by AA or PhoneArena that showed better low light pictures and videos for the GS6.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol