My personal first impressions with the S6

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Came across an S6 while in Singapore. Gave it a test run. Here are my impressions.

1) Phone felt way better than the S5. Feels very premium and has a quality touch.
2) Camera is awesome. Great image quality and the AF is extremely quick, almost as fast as the G3.
3) Phone is fast. The camera is lightning-fast to launch and everything felt snappy...mostly.
4) TouchWiz isn't much different. It looks the same and honestly, despite feeling quicker, there is still some lag. It's a display unit, so your mileage may vary, but by comparison, my HTC One M7 is filled to its brim with junk and it very rarely lags.
5) The Edge is bad, ergonomically. It feels sharp at the edges. I felt like I was about to drop it.
6) The Edge doesn't feel very different from the regular S6. It looks cool but I don't think it justifies the higher price.
7) I never knew the screen was 1440p. It just looked like a 1080p screen, justifying my point that 1440p is utterly pointless on that screen size. PenTile might have something to do with it.

Personally, I'd go with the regular S6. The Edge doesn't offer much to justify its premium and just isn't good ergonomically. Had the S6 came with a microSD card slot, I would seriously consider it. Had it come with that AND offered a GPe version, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Does Samsung have a winner? To me, it's so-so. It offers welcome improvements but overall, I think it feels like a fancier S5.
Despite that, I kinda like it. Too bad it doesn't have expandable storage. Your mileage may vary, however.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input! :) I think it's been quite the common appraisal that the camera is, indeed, awesome. And also that the Edge's edges feel, well, edgy where the metal frame meets the curved glass.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The camera is great. But I only tested it in the store. The real test is when I take one and go on a photo spree with it for a whole day. I wanna see if it takes photos as good as both the iPhone 6 and the LG G3.

And yes. The Edge is not good to hold at all. Very narrow at the edges. Your mileage may vary, however.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I was just reading up how in contrary to Samsung's reports, the pre-installed apps can only be disabled and hidden, not removed completely.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Ummm... Samsung's reports were always that they could be disabled. They got misinterpreted at first, but their official statement is that some apps can be uninstalled, but most pre-loaded ones can just be disabled.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Ummm... Samsung's reports were always that they could be disabled. They got misinterpreted at first, but their official statement is that some apps can be uninstalled, but most pre-loaded ones can just be disabled.

That misinterpretation probably made things worse.

Still pretty disappointed how the insult "BloatWiz" still seems true here.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's weird, most of the opinions I've heard from people who got theirs and the couple reviews I've read, they actually like TW now... Engadget's actually called it 'usable' on their summary!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1