Just took a look at it in best buy- my thoughts

HiiPower

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Well, there's probably a couple hundred of these threads, but I wanted to let you guys know a few short impressions. First off, I'm kinda ticked that it is so thin, and the battery life is less than stellar. I'm not half as smart as the guys behind these phones, but I wish that they could've made a thicker phone with a bigger battery. Second, the camera is FAST. Like iPhone fast.. Clean interface too. And then last, was that display. Obviously it looked good, but idk how far away it is from 1080p (as far as discernible PPI) This thought is trash anyways though because Samsung is able to pull of QHD without a hitch. You can't put your finger on performance, because its a demo unit.. But ya. What about you guys, what do you think?

Posted via the Android Central App

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I had a play with one in a phone store and was seriously unimpressed. Too slab-like and insubstantial, the TouchWiz interface is still horrible and garish. The screen didn't look any better than my Nexus 5. I much prefer a stock Android experience.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
We are now unhappy because it is a slab? You realize it's a bar style phone. Light and thin. Were you expecting a one pound phone? After playing with the device a few minutes, you came away unimpressed with the battery? TouchWiz is still a bit heavy but not as klunky as in the past. In terms of a device redesign effort, look at what Samsung accomplished over the past year since the GS5. Did they not move fast enough and did they not nail everything the first time? Of course not but the focus should be to perfect the changes that are possible at the moment and not so much the device booms to the point that no one buys it. I prefer a more strategic and focused approach not a shotgun approach.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
We are now unhappy because it is a slab? You realize it's a bar style phone. Light and thin. Were you expecting a one pound phone? After playing with the device a few minutes, you came away unimpressed with the battery? TouchWiz is still a bit heavy but not as klunky as in the past. In terms of a device redesign effort, look at what Samsung accomplished over the past year since the GS5. Did they not move fast enough and did they not nail everything the first time? Of course not but the focus should be to perfect the changes that are possible at the moment and not so much the device booms to the point that no one buys it. I prefer a more strategic and focused approach not a shotgun approach.

Not only did he not even say a word about the battery,but once again hit telling something how they are supposed to think of they think differently than you. Man you should take a break from all of this. You are clearly not in your best piece of mind.

Stop getting upset when people have different thoughts then you. It is far more relaxing and soothing when you welcome other options even if they differ from yours.

HiiPower

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
After playing with the device a few minutes, you came away unimpressed with the battery?.

I'm sorry, I wasn't implying that I had a first hand experience with the battery. I've read reviews enough to know the battery isn't great... And I just wonder why the phone is so darn thin, they could've done a little bit more. But also as I stated earlier, I'm not the one of the smart guys designing this phone. Thanks for your opinion though.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

Why even give this thread life? There's a thousand of these "I walked into best buy reviews" all over this forum already.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Why even give this thread life? There's a thousand of these "I walked into best buy reviews" all over this forum already.

True and I appear to have a stalker that I put on my ignore list which doesn't seem to work except for quotes and whose sole purpose in life is to post. Not talking about you just to clarify. The user doing it has too much spare time.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have never used TouchWiz before, this was the first Samsung phone I have had a play with. I have no idea what it was like in the past, just commenting on what I thought at the time. I'm not into the evolution of Samsung, just having a look at the new model. Most phones I have owned don't look like flat slabs - my Nexus 5 doesn't.

A high-end phone is like a car - it has to appeal straight away. You have to see it, have a short test-drive and think 'I really want this!'. In no way did the S6 do that for me. Just saying.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have never used TouchWiz before, this was the first Samsung phone I have had a play with. I have no idea what it was like in the past, just commenting on what I thought at the time. I'm not into the evolution of Samsung, just having a look at the new model. Most phones I have owned don't look like flat slabs - my Nexus 5 doesn't.

A high-end phone is like a car - it has to appeal straight away. You have to see it, have a short test-drive and think 'I really want this!'. In no way did the S6 do that for me. Just saying.

OK great, we respect your opinion, I have the same opinion for Pure Vanilla Devices like all the Nexus Line, Too boring, limited features if any, that's why I'll never buy one. Just saying.

The only device I've had that is very close to a Nexus was a Moto X 2014, just for the looks (White with bamboo back), but I returned it for a full refund within the 14 days, again, didn't like the whole UI. Ahh and just in case you think I'm a Samsung and TouchWiz fan, this have been my phones for the past year:

1-) Galaxy S5
2-) LG G3
3-) Sony Xperia Z3 Dual SIM
4-) Sony Xperia Z3
5-) Galaxy Note 4
6-) Moto X 2014
7-) OnePlus One - Current daily driver since mid January.

Last edited:

BigCTM

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
To each his own...different strokes for different folks...It's a fact of life.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
To each his own...different strokes for different folks...It's a fact of life.

I have just had of the speech police trio that seems to be stalking and have enough spare time to censor others who don't agree.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
All of this is just opinions. Not everyone is going to like the S6. There's no harm in that whatsoever.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
All of this is just opinions. Not everyone is going to like the S6. There's no harm in that whatsoever.

Exactly, if you agree, make your point and keep the personal out of it.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

That's the beauty of Android, you have choices! Not so with the iPhone folks.

BTW...to HiiPower's point, I like the thin phone, it lives in my pocket most of the day, it's one of my top reasons for a phone purchase. I also like the slab since I use it as a calculating tool on a desk at times and this one won't rock around.

Choices...good to be with Android!!

HiiPower

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
That's the beauty of Android, you have choices! Not so with the iPhone folks.

BTW...to HiiPower's point, I like the thin phone, it lives in my pocket most of the day, it's one of my top reasons for a phone purchase. I also like the slab since I use it as a calculating tool on a desk at times and this one won't rock around.

Choices...good to be with Android!!

Hey that's exactly right. Samsung knew some people were gonna love the thin body, and I can't deny it feels great in hand because of it.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey that's exactly right. Samsung knew some people were gonna love the thin body, and I can't deny it feels great in hand because of it.

It has a light but solid, premium feel. Isn't the design direction to streamline and address customer concerns?

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
It has a light but solid, premium feel. Isn't the design direction to streamline and address customer concerns?

You'll never make everyone happy.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
i agree touchwiz looks terrible. i'm sure some replacement launcher would be just fine, but that seems to be just loading more processes on top of everything than needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC