How to back up Samsung S6?

R_Car

May 15, 2015
Visit site
So I have tried to use Smart Switch to back up all data on my GS6 edge. I am supposed to get a replacement phone from my carrier because of a hardware issue. However, smart switch on my laptop does not give me an option to back up my phone, only to recover a previous back up. There are no options to change anything from: restore a back up, to: backup my device. I downloaded the pc smart switch from the Samsung site directly. Can any one help me out with this? Thanks!!

Dana Leon

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
So can you please advise how I would use SmartSwitch to back up my galaxy6 now that Kies no longer works with it? I don need transfer between devices, only back up. Thanks

jetspeedz

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Or read Backing up an Android Device. It's not as easy as clicking "Back Up" on one program, but it backs up everything, and can restore everything to the same phone or another one.

Actually you are incorrect, it really is that easy, Have you used the new SmartSwitch Pc version? Once you hookup the phone you select backup and it is done. If someone wants to go another method than there is always other methods like the one posted above

How to create a full backup of your Android device without root - TechRepublic

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
By any chance does anyone know if smart switch will restore the phone exactly as it was? For example, would I have to rearrange all my apps and home screen the way I had it before? And how about my settings? Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
By any chance does anyone know if smart switch will restore the phone exactly as it was? For example, would I have to rearrange all my apps and home screen the way I had it before? And how about my settings? Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

As far as I can tell, no. I did a full restore using Smart Switch and I had to do a lot of re-work to get the phone organized how it was before. Yes it backs up your photos, music, apps, etc, but not all of the data like user names and passwords or screen layouts.

Another way in which iOS kicks Androids [language removed] ...iCloud backup\restore brings everything back to your phone EXACTLY as it was.

Last edited by a moderator:

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Another thing that needs to be improved...backing up to SmartSwitch requires you to plug into a PC that has the PC version installed. There needs to be a way to backup everything without connecting - yeah like iCloud.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I use Wondershare Mobile Transfer to backup my wife's S6. It works really well. I was wiping the system cache and somehow pushed the wrong button and totally erased her phone !! I was a walking dead man!. I used the restore feature( I had 2 copies of her phone that I had made) and it totally restored her phone to the exact way it was before with all contacts, texts, messages, apps, videos, photos, etc. Saved my life.

usmdesigner

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I can't seem to find where to download to the PC? All I'm seeing is a Google Play link, which says I already have it on my phone.

Where are you going to get it for your PC? (Windows 7) samsung.com/us/smart-switch/ isn't helping me that I can see.

Terry John

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I found that there are 2 different versions of Samsung Smart Switch for the PC. (confusingly named exactly the same as SmartSwitch).

One version is just a restore tool, the other is a backup and restore tool.

The full backup and restore version (Smart_Switch_PC_4.0.15064_11.exe) is here: samsung.com/ae/support/smartswitch/

The restore only version (SmartSwitch_2.5.14123_3.exe) is here: samsungsmartswitch.org/

Hope this helps others with the same issue of trying to backup and/or restore their S6.

PS. Don't know if this post will work as I have not made 10 posts it was blocking links. I have removed the normal www/https type prefix from the web sites.

leebut

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Kies was much better than Smart Switch in that You could browse contacts and files in its library browser type thing. You can't do that in Smart Switch. And Smart Switch doesn't open Kies files, which I found out after my phone was stolen, and I wanted to migrate my contacts from the Kies backup files, and Kies wouldn't work without my stolen S5 connected.

Samsung could have made the backups compatible.

usmdesigner

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I found that there are 2 different versions of Samsung Smart Switch for the PC. (confusingly named exactly the same as SmartSwitch).

One version is just a restore tool, the other is a backup and restore tool.

The full backup and restore version (Smart_Switch_PC_4.0.15064_11.exe) is here: samsung.com/ae/support/smartswitch/

The restore only version (SmartSwitch_2.5.14123_3.exe) is here: samsungsmartswitch.org/

Hope this helps others with the same issue of trying to backup and/or restore their S6.

PS. Don't know if this post will work as I have not made 10 posts it was blocking links. I have removed the normal www/https type prefix from the web sites.

Perfect!!!! Thanks!

Kasop

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
1) To those who say Kies doesn't backup/restore downgrade your version of Kies to Kies 3.1.13103 and below.

2) To those who say SmartSwitch doesn't backup/restore upgrade your version of SmartSwitch to SmartSwitch 4.0.15064 and above and specifically not SmartSwitch 2.5.

Both softwares can easily backup and restore all the content on your Samsung smartphones including the s6 and S6 edge (I however don't know if they are compatible with the newer Note 5 and s6 edge+)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shae