How is the system RAM holding up?

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
@syspry:
I get what you're saying, I just don't agree with some of it. We are not being told wrong by the RAM mantra.

Given that ART is better than Dalvik partly due to improved garbage collection, ok. But ART is also why the old 'unused RAM is wasted RAM' mantra may be more true than ever.

Since ART is more efficient at RAM management, occupied RAM can be cleared and reloaded as needed better than with Dalvik. That means ART enables lower-spec (and so lower cost) devices to run higher-spec software than Dalvik allowed. But...to get back to the old RAM mantra...doing so puts a premium on maximizing usage of limited RAM. So, more than ever, on the new generation of low-cost devices like Android One - Unused RAM is Wasted RAM.

And if all that's true for low-spec hardware, well it still true for high-spec stuff. Load up that 3GB of RAM (up to a point anyway). If needed it can be cleared, but better to use it for cache or whatever than leave it mostly empty.

You're correct about confusion among users who say they see an improvement after clearing RAM manually. No doubt it does work for some, probably a placebo effect for others. Those seeing actual improvement, what they are actually seeing is the limitations of the old Dalvik system or more likely poorly coded apps failing to properly release memory when polled by the system.

You are also correct that 'other mobile operating systems' (spelled iOS) get along very well on less RAM because of no java based feet stuck in the mud.

But again, that's a reason why in Android unused RAM is wasted RAM. That RAM is needed, use it! You're making my point for me...

And don't forget, unused RAM is wasted RAM is an old UNIX/Linux saying. There's no java-based stuff in there, but the saying was true then and still is.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
I guess my previous post must have been deliberately deleted since I noticed you referred to it, at least now I know.

Fair enough and thank you. Is there an explanation then for those on slightly older devices frequently reporting lollipop not handling things well since their updates? ART doesn't appear to have met expectations for them and it should have according to Google.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Offhand, I can't point you to any Google developer blogs or company statements explaining why all has not gone perfectly regarding Lollipop and ART. Chalk it up to new software and bugs I guess.

I can say they have been more of a success than failure. No doubt the vast majority are like me - having no problems and pretty happy overall.

You might want to go back and read my previous post again, I've made a bunch of edits here and there.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Meanwhile, Bad Things are happening...

HTC has teamed up with friggin' Clean Master proving that Sense has nothing to do with common sense:

http://acurrie.me/2015/03/19/cleanmaster-the-scourge-of-2015-android-flagships/

Samsung and Cheetah's announcement of their evil partnership:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...mobile-security-and-innovation-300043298.html

If you really want to learn about such things, see:
http://androidforums.com/index.php?threads/896663/

It's a long thread with a lot of good information. To just catch some important points, read posts # 3, 23, 27, 31, 33 and especially 180. Post 180 is right in tune to the subject of this thread.

I strongly suggest that anyone wanting to see true, accurate RAM use install this small app. It does nothing else - no cleaners, no optimizers, no ads, free. Just your RAM accurate and simple.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...re/apps/details?id=sa.ramtruth&token=SBwV612K

70d81c73b311bdd5e1968ef8d7f15729.jpg

1932cd90e02dba09809a0de684377f63.jpg

42be84d2bba1d7948a730fb0f9af530c.jpg

Last edited:

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Meanwhile, Bad Things are happening...

HTC has teamed up with friggin' Clean Master proving that Sense has nothing to do with common sense:

CleanMaster: The Scourge of 2015 Android Flagships | acurrie.me

Samsung and Cheetah's announcement of their evil partnership:

Cheetah Mobile and Samsung Collaborate to Enhance Mobile Security and Innovation -- BARCELONA, Spain, March 2, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --

If you really want to learn about such things, see:
http://androidforums.com/index.php?threads/896663/

It's a long thread with a lot of good information. To just catch some important points, read posts # 3, 23, 27, 31, 33 and especially 180. Post 180 is right in tune to the subject of this thread.

I strongly suggest that anyone wanting to see true, accurate RAM use install this small app. It does nothing else - no cleaners, no optimizers, no ads, free. Just your RAM accurate and simple.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...re/apps/details?id=sa.ramtruth&token=nzWpcAwK

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/08/70d81c73b311bdd5e1968ef8d7f15729.jpg

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/08/1932cd90e02dba09809a0de684377f63.jpg

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/08/42be84d2bba1d7948a730fb0f9af530c.jpg

Ouch. I can understand why you're not impressed, I tried CM once upon a time and I totally agree with your opinion of it. Having another bloatware is bad enough, but having this as another bloatware is as bad a choice as they could pick. :-\

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I can't understand what Samsung and HTC could possibly be thinking. It's like they:

A. Don't even understand how Android works.
B. The Marketing Departments have pulled a coup on the Engineering Departments, banishing the geeks.
C. $$$ overule all other considerations, including performance, user satisfaction and experience, etc.

Enough of my venting rant...
Did you read any of the thread I linked, in particular post #180? That thread has some excellent information. The Samsung and HTC executives should read it!

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I can't understand what Samsung and HTC could possibly be thinking. It's like they:

A. Don't even understand how Android works.
B. The Marketing Departments have pulled a coup on the Engineering Departments, banishing the geeks.
C. $$$ overule all other considerations, including performance, user satisfaction and experience, etc.

Enough of my venting rant...
Did you read any of the thread I linked, in particular post #180? That thread has some excellent information. The Samsung and HTC executives should read it!

Yes I went through the entire thread, I like EarlyMon, I've been around that site for years and he knows his stuff. Your B and C options are likely true. One important question though, can CM as well as the McAfee bloatware on the S6 both be completely disabled in the system settings without root without affecting anything else? I'm familiar with both of those apps (and not in an approving way) and IIRC they both have to be running constantly in the background in order to function. I detest those kinds of apps strongly enough that their presence will be a definite deal breaker for me if they can't be disabled immediately.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, I have no idea if the CM/McAfee crapware can be disabled. It's Samsung, so I wouldn't be surprised if the only way to fix it is to root the friggin' thing. Maybe some Googling will find a definitive answer. Lots a luck!

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, I have no idea if the CM/McAfee crapware can be disabled. It's Samsung, so I wouldn't be surprised if the only way to fix it is to root the friggin' thing. Maybe some Googling will find a definitive answer. Lots a luck!

I looked into it, you have to root the S6 and then freeze the entire Smart Manager app. And probably some obscurely named associated services. Guess I'll be waiting until September, that's a deal breaker for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995