Does anyone have experience being the only Android user in the household?

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm in a slightly different sphere, our whole house is Apple everything: iMac, iPads, MacBook Pro, Apple routers, Apple TV. However we just use them for the hardware and don't subscribe to a single Apple service, Android just makes more sense to me. Most people I know though are iPhone cultists, doesn't bother me one bit I'm not in on it, but I do see your dilemma.

Getting an iPhone would make integrating with our house seamless but the product just doesn't make sense to me.

kcguy76

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: The experience when the rest of your family has iPhones

Apple doesn't go our of their way to tell people about this, but this link takes you directly to Apple and you can de-register iMessage for good! If you ever want to go back, it's not an issue at all. You can turn this off as much as you want. This kills the connection with your number associated with Apple

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

Posted via the Android Central App

ph0nedawg

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site

I am the only android user in my family. imessage should not matter. We use sms to communicate.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

I hide the TV remotes and say "what, your phone isn't a remote?"

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I currently am but .. the people in my house / my friends have all jumped back and forth between the two.

bgl321

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site

I appreciate all the input. I'm leaning towards keeping my iphone 6. The S6 is a great phone but nothing mind blowing. I'm not going to sit here and bash either OS either. I like them both. I get the itch to go back to Android a couple times each year. I always end up where I started though, and that's not a bad thing. It's what works for me. Maybe one of these days I'll realize that... but what fun would that be :)

tpence2177

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

I appreciate all the input. I'm leaning towards keeping my iphone 6. The S6 is a great phone but nothing mind blowing. I'm not going to sit here and bash either OS either. I like them both. I get the itch to go back to Android a couple times each year. I always end up where I started though, and that's not a bad thing. It's what works for me. Maybe one of these days I'll realize that... but what fun would that be :)
I actually just switched after I got everyone on iPhone lol. I rely on my phone a lot and am on call a good bit and my iphone 5s just wasn't cutting it anymore. After ios 8 it was buggy as everything. Went and got a s6 yesterday and love it. Ios isn't the ios I fell in love with ( ios 6) it's still a great phone, but if I am going to deal with a buggy phone I would rather have one opened up that I can fix it haha. Don't blame you for staying. All of my friends have iPhone as well, so far it hasn't been a big deal. Got them to hold down on the message and click send as text message before I got the phone and I haven't had any problems with messaging. I'll get my wife to download hangout so we can video chat the very few times a year that we actually did it. So I don't really see it being a huge problem for us, because we didn't really use most of the features anyway. I'm loving the features on this thing though. I may still go back to ios after this one, who knows. I ultimately have always loved android the most, but I have never had one that doesn't bog down after a while. I don't think I will have a problem with this one though!

quietkvj

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site

My husband and 2 sons have iphones but I've always been android. I used to video chat using Skype a lot but now we all have hangouts.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

My son is a die hard Iphone user. He played the the S6 (which I ordered) for 5 minutes yesterday, and decided it was time to switch. He has an Iphone 5, and says the new one is to small, and the plus is to big. The S6 is the sweet spot being 5.1 inches.
I'll have to let you know how he likes it after a week, but not having I message is one of his concerns.

tpence2177

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

My son is a die hard Iphone user. He played the the S6 (which I ordered) for 5 minutes yesterday, and decided it was time to switch. He has an Iphone 5, and says the new one is to small, and the plus is to big. The S6 is the sweet spot being 5.1 inches.
I'll have to let you know how he likes it after a week, but not having I message is one of his concerns.
Once it gets to where his friends iphones send it as text messages it won't be a problem. I turned mine off on my iphone yesterday morning, and when I text someone with an iphone I just asked them to hold down on the message and click send as text, which they did and after 3-4 texts it started picking up where the servers learned that I had my I message off.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I'm the only non-iPhone user in my family. My wife and son have iPhone and iPads, my 2 nieces have iPhones. In the end, it doesn't matter for us since we don't use any Apple or Android specific features. We use Dropbox to share files and photos, and can send each other calendar appointments via email.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

My dad and I are the only ones on the Dark Side in my entire family. My dad with his S5 and I with my 3 android phones. I use Next Plus so everyone else can use their native messaging apps and I'm good no matter which of my phones I'm using that day. The more I use my Note Edge the more I enjoy it and it was masterful when I got it 2 months ago.

📐He who controls the Spice controls the universe. The Spice must flow. n.Edge

Wildside

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

I've been the only Android user in our house for the past 3 years. This winter I made the decision to switch to iPhone for convenience sake. Then I took a job that handed me an iPhone 5C (yes crappy phone, yes carrying 2 phones sucks). For the life of me I can't do anything on it; two months in I can barely type on it, can't figure anything out.

Still, I considered the iPhone 6 but when I played with the GS6 this weekend at BB, I decided I would remain on Android. If I can't figure out how to reply to an email on iPhone after two months (again, I acknowledge a crappy phone), then I'll stay with what I know.

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes I am the only non apple person in the family. Wife and kids all have iphones but I cant see myself ever going back.

The only downside for me is that I still pay $30 per month for unlimited family texting whereas if we were all on iMessage I would think I could do away with it. Maybe I am dumb but is there any way or any app where I can send SMS\MMS without it being "counted" as a text message?

mrcil20

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Yes I am the only non apple person in the family. Wife and kids all have iphones but I cant see myself ever going back.

The only downside for me is that I still pay $30 per month for unlimited family texting whereas if we were all on iMessage I would think I could do away with it. Maybe I am dumb but is there any way or any app where I can send SMS\MMS without it being "counted" as a text message?

Hangout is your solution for sure. It works perfectly.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm on bb10, wife has Moto X 2013, oldest child on iphone 5c and iPad mini, son has an iPad. Wife loves her X but is month-to-month and is waiting for just the right device to come along. Unfortunately for her, she loves the 4.7" of the X and there just isn't anything available in that size. There's is ip6, but the frame is so much larger for the same size screen she has now. The downside of her being the only android user is that she hates when I play with her phone.

For em10 above - BBM - BlackBerry Messenger. Works on ios, android, BlackBerry and Windows phone. The reason I like it more than any other is that it does not require a phone number like whatsapp. That way I can message with my son who doesn't have a phone yet. Just an iPad. We have a group chat, can share pics, videos, use expiring messages, send locations, all that. The only lousy part is video is BlackBerry only right now. We all use Oovoo for family video and it works great.

BBM does not count as text messages either.

Last edited:

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the previous 2 responses...but does that mean everyone has to use Hangouts or BBM in order for this solution to work?

No way in the world am I ever going to convince them to not use iMessage.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the previous 2 responses...but does that mean everyone has to use Hangouts or BBM in order for this solution to work?

Yes. You might just be stuck paying for texting. What carrier are you on?

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

Good question. Does Hangouts for Android work with iMessage for Apple?

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

Hangouts or download whatsapp and create a family chat room with all your family members. That's how my family keeps everyone in the loop.

Posted on my Galaxy S6 Edge🔪(S is for Super) via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance