gs5 to gs6 ? is it worth it?

e-bsl

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I considered to sell my gs5 for gs6 but I'm confused because I love the battery life on my gs5 (how is the battery life on gs6?) I'm willing to sacrifice IP 67 for the looks but not sure of the battery and SD card and if i do decide to buy ,..is it going to be worth selling my phone then paying 400€ ($425) extra to get the GS6 ? Whats your opinion?

Posted via my Galaxy S5

Posted via my Galaxy S5

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
It is, see my analysis I wrote in a thread yesterday. It's a great upgrade even with the loss of some functionality (no SD, battery swap, ip67)

Posted on my Galaxy S6 (S is for Super) via the Android Central App

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I considered to sell my gs5 for gs6 but I'm confused because I love the battery life on my gs5 (how is the battery life on gs6?) I'm willing to sacrifice IP 67 for the looks but not sure of the battery and SD card and if i do decide to buy ,..is it going to be worth selling my phone then paying 400€ ($425) extra to get the GS6 ? Whats your opinion?

Posted via my Galaxy S5

Posted via my Galaxy S5

no. skip every other generation. buy new on launch day and upgrade every 24 months. stick to a schedule. this way you stay current without pissssssssssing away money.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm moving on to the S6 because it's smaller and more comfortable in the hand than the S5 and the camera is huge leap in quality for low light photos and videos of any kind. These two things (especially the camera) are important enough for me to upgrade.

OTOH, not really concerned about the SD card and I can live with the battery. If those features are more important than size and camera, then I'd just stick with the S5. Personally, I can't wait to move to 64gb internal so I can install anything I want. 16gb internal is very limiting even if I can install a 128gb SD card. I'll miss the swappable battery more, but I can get by with external chargers for day trips and such.

With Lollipop, the S5 is quite fast and the screen is still great. I would never upgrade to the S6 just for software. Plus, even if swiping is a bit more of a pain than pressing, I'm getting good accuracy from my fingerprint scanner right now.

But double press home to launch camera? I need that. You may not.

e-bsl

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
@gekko that's what I'm planning to do because I went to a retailer and I'll need 500€ for 64gig option which is to much I got my gs5 for 750€ with a 64gb SD card! Its just to much to pay , I might skip the gs7 and go for a note6

Posted via my Galaxy S5

Last edited:

e-bsl

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
@Jermaine gray I agree with what you say but I'm not willing to pay 400€+ to get a GS6

Posted via my Galaxy S5

e-bsl

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
@T48 thanks, I watch every single video of pocketnow , it helped me a bit , I'm not upgrading...

Posted via my Galaxy S5

Last edited:

e-bsl

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
@Golfdriver97 I honestly can't pay 400€+ it to much extra to pay , lol, thanks for your opinion

Posted via my Galaxy S5

e-bsl

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
@Cobravision I agree with every single thing you say except I prefer to use the SD card for music and pics rather than internal storage and its lot cheaper at least in my region

I don't really care about the size of the device and the camera on the gs6 is really good but my gs5's camera is good enough for me not for everyone in lowlight

I don't really mind the fingerprint scanner, my one works 95% of the time,no big deal.

The double tap the home button is a really nice feature(maybe some software features will come to the s5 in future updates) , and the materials of the gs6 is really good but I'm not buying it because i have to sell my phone (its hard to sell in the first place in my country) and then I have to pay 400€+ for the 64gig model

Posted via my Galaxy S5

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
If you don't get disc space errors all the time like I do, then 16gb internal with SD expansion is the way to go. But I'm constantly clearing my cache and moving/deleting other stuff all the time and it's pretty annoying. And I don't even have any games installed.

e-bsl

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
@cobravision I have like 15-20 games and I dont know what you are talking about never experienced it,..... :) ,

Posted via my Galaxy S5

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I couldn't even install my Lollipop update because I didn't have enough free internal memory. I did a warranty replacement and was finally able to do the update to 5.0 on my new S5 (which I love except they took away Blocking Mode). I guess there's a difference between the apps I use and the apps you use. I think my Exchange email takes a lot of space.

e-bsl

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
@cobravision agreed ,.. Can you tell me your the battery life you hey when you receive your galaxy s6

Posted via my Galaxy S5

scuba_steve

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, you're in an S6 forum, so you may not get the most objective responses. ;)

I think it really comes down to how much you value the S6's new features over what you will give up...plus the added expense. No doubt, the S6 has some FANTASTIC features, including:

• Enhanced screen resolution/quality
  • Faster-launching and enhanced front and rear cameras
  • Reworked fingerprint sensor
  • Faster, more battery-efficient 64 bit processor
  • Faster memory
  • Repositioned speaker
  • Light and thin
  • Built-in wireless charging

No doubt, those features rock...and are fairly compelling.

Unfortunately, they were not worth the tradeoff for me based on my own priorities.

For years, reviewers have complained about cheap-quality build materials. Frankly, I am not sure I have ever heard a friend or family member make the same complaint. The old plastic back Samsungs are rugged and comfortable to hold. I also never found them that thick. Nevertheless, reviewers complaining constantly and Apple's focus on material design pushed Samsung toward this new design, which I just don't like. My complaints, which admittedly, may be unique to me:

• I don't find the phone comfortable to hold - the metal edge and slick flat back result in a phone that is nowhere near as comfortable for me to hold as my S3
  • I can't stand the glass back. It's yet another sheet of glass that can shatter and serves no purpose other than eye candy. It's also a fingerprint magnet.
  • If you need to put it in a case to protect the glass back, then you've just made a sexy thin phone bulkier.
  • While the fast memory is VERY nice, I prefer SD cards for numerous reasons, including the fact that I can increase the memory over time as SD card prices come down and I can travel with more than one SD card. Yeah, there's the cloud. I get it. But it's not always available where I am.
  • The non-replaceable battery sucks. I have been using smart phones since the days of the Treo and always end up replacing the battery about once a year. It's inexpensive to do so after the phone has been out for awhile. How's that S6 battery going to be treating you after a year...or two years? I hang on to my phones at least that long. My S3 is coming up on 3 years-old.
  • The current reports of battery life do not look good and match what I experienced when I used an S6 for 30 minutes. Granted, battery life may get better with software updates.

No doubt, it is a FANTASTIC phone, but it is far from perfect, regardless of all the hyperbole.

Thus, I ordered a Note 4 on Wednesday. It's also far from perfect, but the battery life and the fact that the battery is replaceable sealed the deal for me. Of course, it's huge and nowhere near as sexy as an S6. ;)

e-bsl

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
@scuba_Steve plss read
Lol, I know ,I posted it on different places for different opinions

1)for me 1080p is enough on a 5" phone
2) yes it is faster to launch( no big deal) the camera on GS 5 is good enough for me
3)my fingerprint scanner works 95% of the time for me
4)I don't care
5)the speaker is easier to cover when playing games ,some reviewers said
6)yes but the galaxy s5 is not that bulky right?
7)wireless charging didn't come to my country and I bet it won't

I agree that the plastic Samsung uses wasn't that bad as some reviewers said (I use the s5 I never found myself complaining)

1) when I held a s6 I was stressed that I might drop it which means you can't really use it without a case which will make the phone bulky
2)I agree, it feels better but ... (Whatever you said is true)
3)yes! Exactly
4)I don't like cloud , I prefer to put my photos and pics on SD card so I can use it on another device + if something was to happen to the phone you can take the important things like the pics right away
5)I agree , I don't even have a Samsung store in my country to get it replaced a third party store would need to replace it which is not pleasing
6)well it has fast charging as a plus we have to wait and see

It is fantastic! But I mean the battery has less around 200mah less(if I'm not wrong ) just to be 1mm thinner and that also makes the camera hump larger

Thanks for your opinion I really appreciated it

Posted via my Galaxy S5

BR34KF4ST

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
s6 battery life is much worst than s5.

imagine your screen using up so much power because of high amoled tech but your battery is lower

and you lose the removable battery,sd card, and the ip67 function

not worth in my opinion
s5 is a good phone and im probably gonna wait for s7 or s8

Posted via the Android Central App

e-bsl

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
@BR34KF4ST I was thinking like that about the battery life , I'm happy to hear that ,that is how it is ,people suggested the processor uses less battery but yeah a qhd display with less mah was the worst thing rather than microSD/ip67/removable battery

Posted via my Galaxy S5

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
@BR34KF4ST I was thinking like that about the battery life , I'm happy to hear that ,that is how it is ,people suggested the processor uses less battery but yeah a qhd display with less mah was the worst thing rather than microSD/ip67/removable battery

Posted via my Galaxy S5

S6 screen actually uses less power than S5 screen according to test/analysis by displaymate and samsung's claim. There were some early bad battery reports on T-mo units. But it appears to be due to some WiFi software bug on T-mobile unit and not all of them are affected. Now more and more positive results are coming from other carrier versions, some are getting more than 5 hours SoT. Not saying you should get S6, but just pointing it out that battery can't be reason to pass it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz