Samsung Galaxy S6 Cell standby battery drain?

robbay

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Is there a general understanding on what is causing this issue?

Or a has Rogers or any one of the other carriers actually showed us some help??

I just ordered this phone for my GF & over a span of 5 hours of standby in the box, without a sim card the phone drained almost 75%. Seems like a giant waste of $250 for this phone - I should have given her an additional $250 for an iPhone...??

As much as I dislike Apple & their cult-like following... you can't argue that out of the box their products work a HECK of a lot better / problem free.

Is there a droid new user guide for dummy's that makes these new droind release phones easier to understand?? I've seen issues w/ Lollipop on other devices as well. Seems ridiculous.

Samsung can't really be putting out products that require a higher droid IQ in order to get the "best possible performance" out of the box can they??

This is way too much work quite frankly. If I wanted to run Linux then I would....

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

I just ordered this phone for my GF & over a span of 5 hours of standby in the box, without a sim card the phone drained almost 75%. Seems like a giant waste of $250 for this phone - I should have given her an additional $250 for an iPhone...??

As much as I dislike Apple & their cult-like following... you can't argue that out of the box their products work a HECK of a lot better / problem free.

Is there a droid new user guide for dummy's that makes these new droind release phones easier to understand?? I've seen issues w/ Lollipop on other devices as well. Seems ridiculous.

Samsung can't really be putting out products that require a higher droid IQ in order to get the "best possible performance" out of the box can they??

This is way too much work quite frankly. If I wanted to run Linux then I would....

How do you know that the device drained 75% in the box and didn't just come to you with 25% charge instead? Typically phones are never fully charged in the box to help the battery not be stressed and have a long life span.

As for what the general understanding is, yes lollipop is broken and has been since the beginning. This is not a Samsung issue and other than what your carrier may break on top of lollipop if they add anything to it, is not typically their fault. This is totally a Google issue and needs to be fixed.

With that said, lollipop while broken still works great and for most people should work well without excessive battery drain.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Wait ... in the box? So you mean when you opened the phone it was already on 25%? That is normal. They never charge phones to 100% for shipping. I have noticed it is usually always 60% or less.

robbay

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
No no sorry. I should have read that over before posting.

I meant, I ordered the phone. It delivered.

I charged it up to 100% & over a 5 hour period (on stand by) it was sitting at 25% battery.

It was sitting idle in the box... just in stand by mode. My GF hasn't picked up a case for it yet so she figured better to be safe & have a case for a glass back phone. So I haven't yet installed her sim card or anything for that matter.

yanks4life

May 14, 2010
Visit site
So I have the Gold 64GB on Verizon and yesterday was my second day with it and had the Cell Standby issue also as you can see in shots below, but amazingly I was still able to get almost 5 hours of screen on time and I have never had that in my life with any other phone so even though the Cell Standby was top of the list I really don't know if it meant anything or did anything to affect battery. Still am going to try a few things to see about getting rid of it but I don't know what else to do as on Verizon there is no turning off VoLTE and I have already did all the wifi scanning off stuff. Now I was on Wifi most of the day which might be the cause who knows.

Screenshot_2015-04-29-00-14-27.jpgScreenshot_2015-04-29-00-14-54.jpgScreenshot_2015-04-29-00-15-15.jpg

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Well look at ios 8, it had problems. 8.1 had problems. Released 8.2 to fix their screwup and it had problems.

Ios is not the perfect os they have you believe.

Jenn Erickson

May 12, 2015
Visit site
I just got the S6 2 days ago, and my battery only lasts a full charge for maybe 4 hours. My cell standby runs around 50% all the time. I really hope they fix this soon!!

Robnfl

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: Cell standby battery drain?

"VoLTE is Settings - Connection - Mobile Network - Mobile Data - Un check Enhanced 4G LTE services."
I'm on AT&T with a 32GB S6 running Lollipop 5.0.2 and my cell standby was running 20-25%. My battery life had gotten better with the suggestions here, but still not good until I disabled the LTE setting as I quoted above which is above here somewhere in the thread. Now I'm mid -way through the day at 72% battery remaining and cell standby at 1%. The LTE setting did it for me! Thanks to all!

I bought my SG6 about 2 weeks ago and was having the same "cell standby" battery drain issue. I have been in contact with Samsung support on twitter for a week now trying to resolve it. They have mentioned using safe mode, which didn't help at all. I finally turned off "Enhanced 4G LTE services", like others have suggested and cell standby battery use is under 1% now. Today, I turned "Enhanced 4G LTE services" back on and sure enough cell standby is the largest drain on the battery again.

I sure hope Samsung straightens this out in the near future.

Robnfl

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: Cell standby battery drain?

LOL! I just received this tweet from Samsung support about this issue:

"It would make sense that it would grow during the day as it's used more often. Cell Standby is when the device is searching (cont)"

"for service, which is why turning off that one feature diminished it. Hopefully a patch will be sent by carriers to update. ^Viv"

Gee...ya think?

I just saw this AT&T pushing out small update to Samsung Galaxy S6 on twitter.

So, I checked for an update and it is downloading now....

Supposedly it fixes:

Battery performance enhancement
HD Voice enhancement
Screen enhancements
AT&T Message enhancement
Screen rotation enhancement
Power key press time from .5sec to 1.5sec
Other various performance enhancements

We'll see if this update actually helps....

Stand by!

snake2332

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I bought my SG6 about 2 weeks ago and was having the same "cell standby" battery drain issue. I have been in contact with Samsung support on twitter for a week now trying to resolve it. They have mentioned using safe mode, which didn't help at all. I finally turned off "Enhanced 4G LTE services", like others have suggested and cell standby battery use is under 1% now. Today, I turned "Enhanced 4G LTE services" back on and sure enough cell standby is the largest drain on the battery again.

I sure hope Samsung straightens this out in the near future.

Interesting. Mine was draining battery fast and showing Cell Standby as the
culprit. I charged up to 100% and turned off one thing- Smart network switch, under the More menu of wifi settings. Now cell standby is much better. Have you tried that? Sounds like you might have solved it already.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. Mine was draining battery fast and showing Cell Standby as the
culprit. I charged up to 100% and turned off one thing- Smart network switch, under the More menu of wifi settings. Now cell standby is much better. Have you tried that? Sounds like you might have solved it already.
This is the answer for AT&T
Also Turn off Advanced Calling/HD Voice and your cell Standby will drop tremendously

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!

snake2332

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Oh okay, I'm on Verizon. I have Advanced Calling disabled by default. Same goes for another mentioned option: Always Allow Scanning under wifi settings. That smart network option was kind of nice but drained battery fast, kind of like a similar app I tried on my G2. My estimated battery life has more than tripled. All I want is 1.5 days out of a charge for those nights when I don't charge it (drunkenly setting it wrong on Qi charger).

ieatcalcium

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
You have to wipe everything. Switch to phone off and then hold voice up, homebutton and power button all three. When you see the Samsung logo release the buttons.
You'll get a blue screen and then the boot menu. Delete the cache and afterwards wipe all data. Then restart the S6.
My battery life trippled after doing that. I had exactly the same problem you have. 

I did this per T-Mobile's request and I'm still getting horrible battery life. 5% drain in 20 mins.

Dusty Peterson

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
None of the options posted anywhere in any of these threads works for me. If wifi is on, cell standby skyrockets, and battery life plummets.

This is completely ridiculous. The phone advertises "27 hours of usage time." With everything stripped to the gills and wifi on (on other phones wifi, when on a solid connection, has never reduced and often increases my battery life) I'm getting more like 6 hours. Not 27.

At what point do we need to organize and put together something like a class action lawsuit in order to keep manufacturers and providers from selling these broken products and then not supporting them?

simonsays33

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
It appears that this is an issue with Google and not Samsung. Lollipop was just a really bad update.
I bounce between my S6 edge and my Iphone 6 Plus. Love my plus. It works and I don't needo to turn off what seems like every smartphone feature to keep it going.
Sadly, we will have to wait potential months for Marshmellow and see if that helps to fix the issue. If not we have to root. I strongly feel if we are forced to root to get a phone that works as intended, we shouldn't lose our warranty. (I see why we would, however.)
You have choices:
Slow, very very slow updates affecting important things like use ability or you can forgo your custom launchers.
I picked the OS that worked over having a pretty launcher.

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,
Just thought I'd chime in. I have a Tmobile s6. I got it about 2 weeks ago and have been getting the cell standby battery drain. Nothing crazy intense but definite a noteworthy drain. So I tried the fix on the front page of this thread. First, I actually turned ON smart network switch because that's a really cool feature I didn't know about. I did turn of VoLTE and I think that this was the kicker. I have had my phone on for about 5 hours and have only used 1 % battery with Cell Standby. I also have wifi calling off by default.

In conclusion, turn off VoLTE on Tmobile s6 (Go to applications, then phone) and make sure wifi calling is off. Smart switch doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

mgfjd12

May 14, 2012
Visit site
There is something wrong with your phone or app. I have about 100 apps. No problem here.

Attachments

• 1692.jpg
    1692.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 1693.jpg
    1693.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 177