Add direct dial shortcut?

amacnutt

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
On my s4 I was able to add a direct dial shortcut to my home screen so that you could call a particular contact with just one touch. I can't find this option on the s6. Anyone know how to do it?

Posted via the Android Central App

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
There is a widget called contact. You can put that on the home screen. When you touch it, it will allow you to choose to call or text that person. Not one touch calling exactly

amacnutt

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but there is already an option to add a shortcut for a particular contact with the same options you mentioned. I was hoping for the same direct dial one touch option I had before. Anyone know if it's a lollipop issue or just not available on the s6 like it was on the s4?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Go into the Play Store and search for "Shortcut Dial." It's a 1x1 widget that will then prompt you to pick which contact (with whatever number you choose) to call with just one touch of the icon on one of your home screens. I have eight of them set up on one of my secondary home screens. It will even import that contact's picture, if one has been assigned so it's not only functional, it's easy to see who you're about to call just with a glance.

Hope this helps.

amacnutt

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Go into the Play Store and search for "Shortcut Dial." It's a 1x1 widget that will then prompt you to pick which contact (with whatever number you choose) to call with just one touch of the icon on one of your home screens. I have eight of them set up on one of my secondary home screens. It will even import that contact's picture, if one has been assigned so it's not only functional, it's easy to see who you're about to call just with a glance.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.

jpopdallas

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
What you do is open the phone app then go to the contacts tab select the contact you want then in the upper right corner it says more . Hit that then hit add shortcut to home screen. There ya go. Have a good one. Its not one touch but two. ;). Sorry didn't see the post up there where you want one touch dialing.

Yes I like it aswell. Just installed it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I am baffled and irritated that it's gone. The ones I imported from Nova still work. I don't know why this got the axe along with Smart Stay - it was actually useful.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I thought they got rid of useless stuff like Smart Stay. So this is even worse - they keep cruft like Smart Stay and remove good stuff like direct call and direct text widgets.

Last edited:

subssubs

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I've been trading support emails with the Nova folks. According to them, "Samsung removed the direct dial shortcut for no apparent reason in their lollipop update. It is also missing from the TouchWiz launcher. "

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I wish it showed which number you're calling. For example: I have a shortcut for my sister's home phone and one for her cell phone. But the icon doesn't tell me which number I'm calling. HTC's contact shortcut would have a small house in the lower right hand corner so I knew it was her home phone. Shortcut didn't use her picture either even though one is assigned to it.

nsanders

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I wish it showed which number you're calling. For example: I have a shortcut for my sister's home phone and one for her cell phone. But the icon doesn't tell me which number I'm calling. HTC's contact shortcut would have a small house in the lower right hand corner so I knew it was her home phone. Shortcut didn't use her picture either even though one is assigned to it.

Thank you! I was beginning to think I was the only one with this issue. I will often try my sister at home; and if she doesn't answer, I try her cell. But, I can't do that if I don't know which icon is which. And, I cannot find a replacement app that does this.

jsachs

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Try Speed Dial (by Codificator) from the Play Store. Similar to Speed Dial except it labels the shortcuts as you requested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12