S6 v Note 5

suthern_man

May 7, 2014
Visit site
With the loss of SD card support & removable battery in the S6, I'm not sure I want to go that route.

I'm wondering if the Note 4 or 5 would be a better choice for me.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Note 5 hasn't been announced - we don't know anything about it.

You can compare the S6 to the Note 4 though and see which you like the sound of. If removable battery and SD card support are important, then maybe the Note 4 is the better pick. Also I have no doubt the Note 4 would have better battery life. S6 goes through battery pretty fast.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, no sd card and non removable battery really doesnt mean that much to me, and i would still choose my note4 over the s6.

If the note5 is more like the 6 (glass back and smaller battery) than i prob wont bother w it.

Btw way, one of my biggest complaints about the s6 is how the camera protrudes so much and they dont include that measurement in the widtb of the phone. Could have added more battery. But to say how thin a phone is with a portion being noticably thicker is just dumb in my book.

A phone is only as thin as its widest feature, anything else is false advertisement.

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Btw way, one of my biggest complaints about the s6 is how the camera protrudes so much and they dont include that measurement in the widtb of the phone. Could have added more battery. But to say how thin a phone is with a portion being noticably thicker is just dumb in my book.

A phone is only as thin as its widest feature, anything else is false advertisement.

I understand the sentiment, but the Note series has a much larger battery than the S series because they are much larger phones. The camera hump is prominent and unsightly but in a case with a cutout for the camera, the total package is thinner than it would be if the back of the phone was flush. Also, Samsung sells cases and wants you to buy them. (Not an excuse, just an observation.)

BullGuard8

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I was in a delimma whether to go for the S6 or the Note 4. I have never had a Note 3 or 4 or any big sized phone before and wasn't enthusiastic about carriying any phone bigger than the S4/S5/iPhone 6, etc...

After a lot of research........I was almost decided to go for the 128 GB version of the S6 Edge ignoring the fact that it has no expandable storage and no removable battery......all I wanted was a fast phone with a decent camera and a battery that would get me till the end of the day without worrying about charging it.......

So I waited eagerly and then GSM Arena reviewed all the recent camera phones and from then on.......my decision was done choosing the Note 4 over the S6.......

Intergalactic camera shootout: Galaxy S6 vs. Galaxy S5 vs. Note 4 vs. iPhone 6

From page 2 of that review......

crop-color.jpg

notice how the S6 missed out all the fine details in the red carpet on the balcony...... hard to believe that they both have a 16 MP camera and both have Optical Image Stabilization but at the end of the day, what matters is real world situations not whitepaper.....

adding to the fact that I wasn't happy about the S6 having a smaller battery than the S5 despite it having a faster CPU, better camera, and much better screen, it made no sense, I knew the phone wouldn't last more than 4 to 5 hours of heavy use and I was right.....just look at the S6 subforum and you will see how people are not happy about the batter and there is no magical way that any OS update would help as the battery is just too small for this power hungry phone.

I can't be any happier about my Note 4 really, best phone I ever had in terms of camera, a battery that lasts me 2 days easily, excellent screen, removable battery, memory card slot, S-Pen, really, it's on a league of its own.

Just my 2 cents worth

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I was in a delimma whether to go for the S6 or the Note 4. I have never had a Note 3 or 4 or any big sized phone before and wasn't enthusiastic about carriying any phone bigger than the S4/S5/iPhone 6, etc...

After a lot of research........I was almost decided to go for the 128 GB version of the S6 Edge ignoring the fact that it has no expandable storage and no removable battery......all I wanted was a fast phone with a decent camera and a battery that would get me till the end of the day without worrying about charging it.......

So I waited eagerly and then GSM Arena reviewed all the recent camera phones and from then on.......my decision was done choosing the Note 4 over the S6.......

http://cdn.gsmarena.com/vv/reviewsimg/galaxy-s6-note4-s5-iphone6-shootout/crops/crop-color.jpg

notice how the S6 missed out all the fine details in the red carpet on the balcony...... hard to believe that they both have a 16 MP camera and both have Optical Image Stabilization but at the end of the day, what matters is real world situations not whitepaper.....

adding to the fact that I wasn't happy about the S6 having a smaller battery than the S5 despite it having a faster CPU, better camera, and much better screen, it made no sense, I knew the phone wouldn't last more than 4 to 5 hours of heavy use and I was right.....just look at the S6 subforum and you will see how people are not happy about the batter and there is no magical way that any OS update would help as the battery is just too small for this power hungry phone.

I can't be any happier about my Note 4 really, best phone I ever had in terms of camera, a battery that lasts me 2 days easily, excellent screen, removable battery, memory card slot, S-Pen, really, it's on a league of its own.

Just my 2 cents worth

Hey its still in the Sammy family s6 note 4 there both beast that's why I have both love them for different reasons enjoy which ever samsung you choose

suthern_man

May 7, 2014
Visit site

I know that the Note 5 release/existence, at this point, is all speculation but still,, I'm not chomping at the bit to upgrade right this minute. I might get a new phone next month or it might be a year from now. Just wondering whether the Note would be a better option for me personally.

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

You can compare the S6 to the Note 4 though and see which you like the sound of. If removable battery and SD card support are important, then maybe the Note 4 is the better pick. Also I have no doubt the Note 4 would have better battery life. S6 goes through battery pretty fast.

I had the note 4 and it wasn't the best battery wise.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site

http://cdn.gsmarena.com/vv/reviewsimg/galaxy-s6-note4-s5-iphone6-shootout/crops/crop-color.jpg

Just my 2 cents worth

I had a note 4 before this and I never understood how people could get it to last 2 days. I had to charge mine in the middle.of the day. I had two different note 4 devices and both didn't last me 2 days. It was decent battery life since I am on my phone All DAY.

If the note 4 lasts you 2 days, easily, then the s6 would last you 1 day easily.

Note 4 is a great device. I just wanted something newer and smaller. The s6 is just about the perfect size for me.

Also, the camera detail you speak of is because of the saturation of the pictures which is all software. I am getting much better shots on the s6 than I got on the note 4.

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
had the note 4 since launch and love it. Only phone ever where Im not interested AT ALL by the the new crew of s6, m9 or g4. Had official lollipop for a while. Also the note 4 to me is not a big phone at all. I guess I am just so used to it. The note is always the superior phone compared to the regular galaxy s line, its just a fact that the note 5 will be out of this world and I can not wait.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to like the Note 4, but it was just too big. I like using my phone with one hand while walking and while sitting on my couch with coffee or my wife in the other hand. I just couldn't do that comfortably with the Note 4. It was too hard to hit the multitasking button, which I use a lot. Also, while the Note 4 had a great camera for daylight photos, I thought it only seemed average in low light. The S6 takes much better pictures indoors and in low light situations. I also appreciate the trimmed down version of TouchWiz on the S6 compared to the Note 4. The S6 really does feel faster.

coolSocbro

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
note 5 will probably have an updated or slightly overclocked version of the exynos currently in the s6 as well as a beffed up gpu. Probably 4gig of ram also. Not sure about screen size may increase slightly too early to tell and also 4k resolution is a small possibility although I dont see the point of 4k on anything but a tablet and up. It will perform better than the s6 while having way better battery life but at this level of performance both are great and boils down to the size, ergonomics and what youre confortable dragging around all day.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thoughts? Anything is possible. I'd rather wait till the Note 5 comes out (or is announced) to compare.

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to like the Note 4, but it was just too big. I like using my phone with one hand while walking and while sitting on my couch with coffee or my wife in the other hand. I just couldn't do that comfortably with the Note 4. It was too hard to hit the multitasking button, which I use a lot. Also, while the Note 4 had a great camera for daylight photos, I thought it only seemed average in low light. The S6 takes much better pictures indoors and in low light situations. I also appreciate the trimmed down version of TouchWiz on the S6 compared to the Note 4. The S6 really does feel faster.

I agree

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I think i read somewhere that the note will probably stay at the 5.7 inch screen, sont remember where i read it but seems like samsung said they had found the sweet spot for the note at that size..

I agree, i cant see any reason to go to the 6inch screen. While the nexus 6 doesn't seem too big, i don't think there is an advantage.. just my opinion.

suthern_man

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone! You gave me exactly what I asked for, a lot of information & food for thought. Turns out my decision may be forced on me sooner than I expected since my S4 has suddenly developed charging issues.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
notice how the S6 missed out all the fine details in the red carpet on the balcony...... hard to believe that they both have a 16 MP camera and both have Optical Image Stabilization but at the end of the day, what matters is real world situations not whitepaper....
First off, what's really noticeable is how much sharpening noise there is on the Note 4 picture compared to the S6. You would rather not have that noise then have it.

Also, those orange squares are likely not actually in the real carpet. They are there because the sharpening filter on the Note 4 and S5 created them. It is very likely that the carpet really did look just like it looks on the S6.

Furthermore, this is a 300 x 300 pixel square on a 16mp image. You should not choose a camera based on pixel peeping like that.

suthern_man

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Well, ~5 months later, the Note 5 has hit the market. Turns out, I don't want it or the S6. Samsung lost me the second they dropped SD card support.

My wife got an LG G4. It seems like a nice enough phone and the camera is pretty sweet but the battery life flat out sucks. She's looking for her charger by 3 pm every day and she's a light user. I'm not a power user by any stretch of the imagination but I do check email, surf the Web and write quite a bit on my S4, plus my phone is my music player. I use it via Bluetooth with either headphones or speaker, as well as in the car. With my usage, I typically get 10-12 hours out of my battery, although it seems to be dying more quickly these days.

In between writing this and looking at different phones, just read a review of the G4 that's pretty unflattering. It targeted issues with the very features I use most so it's looking like that's not an option, either.

T-Mobile is our carrier and we're not likely to change. My options are looking fewer and fewer. With eyesight complications from 40 years of Diabetes, I really like the idea of a larger screen but, again, I don't have many options with the "un-carrier" whatever the flip that means. There doesn't seem to be anything on T-Mobile's web site so I guess I'll have to trek off to the store to see what else they have.