Adjustments, tips and tricks to maximize Battery Life on Samsung Galaxy S6/edge

anon(9409134)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Happy to say that cell standby doesn't even show up under battery usage anymore :D must've been the push service

Posted via the Android Central App

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Like I mentioned in an earlier post here I'm following the 40-80% charging cycle approach so posting my battery stats would be little confusing.

Today I went to the full battery charge (will do it 3 or 4 times a month) and obviously that way is better to understand the battery stats, so here are my battery stats for today, everybody getting better, add is averaging about 6.5 hours of SoT, one thing though, I haven't used Bluetooth today with my Asus Zenwatch and Android wear.

Screenshot_2015-04-18-16-23-43.png Screenshot_2015-04-18-16-23-47.png Screenshot_2015-04-18-16-23-51.png

anon(9409134)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Like I mentioned in an earlier post here I'm following the 40-80% charging cycle approach so posting my battery stats would be little confusing.

Today I went to the full battery charge (will do it 3 or 4 times a month) and obviously that way is better to understand the battery stats, so here are my battery stats for today, everybody getting better, add is averaging about 6.5 hours of SoT, one thing though, I haven't used Bluetooth today with my Asus Zenwatch and Android wear.

View attachment 172418 View attachment 172419 View attachment 172420

Today I got 4 1/2 hours of SoT while playing a game (which I played for like 3 1/2 or 4 of those hours hahaha) which is good if you ask me.

mdkappy

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I have followed most of your advice, Erasat. However, I have the screen brightness turned way up. And still, I'm getting WAY much better battery life. Thank you for all of your tips. I'll bet if most people follow your advice, they will, too. This phone is definitely a keeper - and before reading your tips, I was so frustrated that I was going to take it back and probably get the Note 4.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have followed most of your advice, Erasat. However, I have the screen brightness turned way up. And still, I'm getting WAY much better battery life. Thank you for all of your tips. I'll bet if most people follow your advice, they will, too. This phone is definitely a keeper - and before reading your tips, I was so frustrated that I was going to take it back and probably get the Note 4.

I really can't use the brightness too high as it literally hurts my eyes, been always this way, but yes if for you having it that way still give you great battery life then that's great, but I do know a lot of guys that reducing the brightness alone have helped them a lot with battery life.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I just ended up the day with the first full charge cycle in the week with little less than what I was averaging because I was all afternoon streaming Youtube videos to my Chromecast and then I streamed The Hobbits 3 from Google play movies and that alone was 2 hours 24 minutes of streaming. Even that I got 6 hours and 4 minutes of SoT of a mid to heavy usage day.

I really hope that the latest Google play services app, announced today, get to all of us soon enough so people with the infamous Lollipop Google Play services bug try it and see if that together with recent Samsung Push update fixes your drain issues, the rest of you with the Cell Standby drain is a little more complex, but I insist for those of you that have tried the different tweaks posted, to try the wipe cache partition in recovery mode and turn off Wifi calling, and VoLTE until you need them and the turn off completely the Smart network and Scanning always available options on the Wifi settings, if all of that doesnt work try a full reset in recovery mode and do the same tweaks, if still have the issue get a replacement or if you don't want to try again or don't want to wait for a Google or Samsung fix just return it and get your money back.

This phone, without rogue apps or drain bugs is capable of a very good, almost great battery life and like I've mentioned a couple of times already, is that what amazes me the most is that it's doing that with just 2550-2600 mAh batteries on the best display currently on the market that happens to be a 5.1" QHD monster display.

Now back to my 40-80% charging charging approach for the next week or so, looking to extend the battery life on a long term so I can keep it for a long time.

Screenshot_2015-04-18-22-58-48.png Screenshot_2015-04-18-22-58-59.png

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I haven't done anything overly special to save the battery, using it similarly to my nexus 5. Keep in mind I have Bluetooth/location/WiFi on always and screen not auto brightness at 15-20%. I am very happy with this battery performance, no complaints. Can someone start a new thread so we can brag about how much we love this device? I LOVE my S6.

Posted via S6

Attachments

• 784.jpg
    784.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 289

anon(9409134)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Does disabling S Health do much? (If it can be disabled)
It just seems like it would use some battery because it tracks steps 24/7

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Does disabling S Health do much? (If it can be disabled)
It just seems like it would use some battery because it tracks steps 24/7

Every app that needs to be listening all the time will use the battery resources, ones more than others, but like I've always said, I disable what I don't use, in this case I do use S Health so it's on and working full time.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Appreciate the help, thank you, thanked your post. It's just a shame that it's necessary, and that thousands of people who don't hang out in tech communities won't be privy to it.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Appreciate the help, thank you, thanked your post. It's just a shame that it's necessary, and that thousands of people who don't hang out in tech communities won't be privy to it.

Yes, that's why even when for some of you this experience will affect Samsung's reputation for life, it is good that some are returning the devices, that way Carriers and Samsung will take notice sooner and should try to address any issues you may have, even when it maybe just Google's bugs, they can push for having 5.1.1 sooner than anticipated.

I'm not saying that I'm happy that some of you are getting this bugs, I'm just saying that with every new device launch this things happens, and if a lot of people complains about the same and even worst, return their devices, this will force them to act sooner than later.

anon(9409134)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
This was with power saving mode on.

Attachments

• 1459.jpg
    1459.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 264
  • 1460.jpg
    1460.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 264
  • 1461.jpg
    1461.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 265

wrmoore47

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Very happy now. Used most of the suggestions here. BIggest change was with diasabling LTE on my AT&T phone, though the Samsung software updates happened automatically about the same time. Have Location Services off most of the time. Brightness is on auto, but nominally 30%.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Great tips from the OP. These are things I always do when I get a new phone. Two other things I do that helps with battery life is to go to Google Accounts and disable syncing from apps I don't use. This especially helps with the Flipboard/Samsung news feed type apps. If I want to read something I do a manual refresh. I turn all the Facebook feeds, etc off too. Also, turning off NFC helps. In other phones this turned out to be a big battery drain when left on. You can always easily turn it back on if you ever decide you need it.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Hey do you have an suggestions for what services we can disable also? I have used all of your tips and got creat screen time yesterday. Almost 5 plus hours of onscreen time. Heavy YouTube, twitter and Instagram.
Thanks!

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey do you have an suggestions for what services we can disable also? I have used all of your tips and got creat screen time yesterday. Almost 5 plus hours of onscreen time. Heavy YouTube, twitter and Instagram.
Thanks!

Try what I didn't mention in my initial post but always do to all my phones and the last post before yours suggested, and go to your Accounts (Samsung, Google and others) and under the Sync settings just turn off sync for all the services and apps you don't really use.

Besides that and the things that I already posted everything else is very personal, you are the one that know what you'll use and what you won't. But just in case you need some references, I posted some screenshots of the Apps I disabled on this phone, those for me are just Bloat and will never ever use them.

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Try what I didn't mention in my initial post but always do to all my phones and the last post before yours suggested, and go to your Accounts (Samsung, Google and others) and under the Sync settings just turn off sync for all the services and apps you don't really use.

Besides that and the things that I already posted everything else is very personal, you are the one that know what you'll use and what you won't. But just in case you need some references, I posted some screenshots of the Apps I disabled on this phone, those for me are just Bloat and will never ever use them.

Have you thought about updating your original post with these recommendations? It seems that many people are using it for reference, and this is a key point. The other point to make is that the recommendations to disable certain apps is not to cripple the features of your phone, but to limit resource use from multiple redundant apps (weather, news, social networks, email, calendar, search/voice recognition, cloud services), the many versions of which all run in the background simultaneously.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Have you thought about updating your original post with these recommendations? It seems that many people are using it for reference, and this is a key point. The other point to make is that the recommendations to disable certain apps is not to cripple the features of your phone, but to limit resource use from multiple redundant apps (weather, news, social networks, email, calendar, search/voice recognition, cloud services), the many versions of which all run in the background simultaneously.

Just did that, also I copied and pasted word by word your point about explaining the recommendations are just that and not to cripple your device.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol