what browser is everyone using?

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't like using Chrome because it doesn't have bookmarks. I use 3 mainly. Mercury for desktop mods because it has Adblock and quick access to reader. I use Boat for mobile sites because I can set a bookmark icon on the bottom and get quick access to mobile sites and I use chrome for links and sites it works best with.

Posted via Galaxy S6

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused - what do you mean Chrome doesn't have bookmarks? There's a bookmark selection in the menu.

I use Chrome as my default browser and Maxthon for sites that work better in desktop mode. I make browser shortcuts to the homescreen and have the ones I frequently use in a homescreen folder. It's great that Android let's you create a homescreen shortcut that will open in a specific browser.

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I always used the stock browser on my old HTC DNA, but have been leaning towards Firefox when I pick up an S6 hopefully in the next week. I quit using chrome on my desktop at work due to being forced to do all searches in the address bar and I can't make chrome work at all on a Windows 8/8.1 laptop.

Posted via the Android Central App

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm confused - what do you mean Chrome doesn't have bookmarks? There's a bookmark selection in the menu.

I use Chrome as my default browser and Maxthon for sites that work better in desktop mode. I make browser shortcuts to the homescreen and have the ones I frequently use in a homescreen folder. It's great that Android let's you create a homescreen shortcut that will open in a specific browser.
I should say there is no easy access to bookmarks. You have to tap the menu, open the bookmarks tab, and select the bookmark. With the menu key up top it is not a one hand friendly application at all. The other browsers all have the ability to quickly access bookmarks with a reachable one touch.

Posted via Galaxy S6

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Stock browser (labeled Internet in the app drawer with a blue, purple, and white globe icon). Scrolling in Chrome is jerky as hell on this phone for some reason.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I should say there is no easy access to bookmarks. You have to tap the menu, open the bookmarks tab, and select the bookmark. With the menu key up top it is not a one hand friendly application at all. The other browsers all have the ability to quickly access bookmarks with a reachable one touch.
That's actually the reason I miss the menu key. On the S5, I'd long press recent apps for menu and then tap Save to Pocket. Now it requires two hands or manual gymnastics that I'm not comfortable doing with the S6 due to its lack of grip.

dirt4444

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Stock browser (labeled Internet in the app drawer with a blue, purple, and white globe icon). Scrolling in Chrome is jerky as hell on this phone for some reason.

This is for the S6 right? Maybe I am missing something but I can't find it. I don't see it in the "tools" app folder or the "Samsung" app folder.

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
This is for the S6 right? Maybe I am missing something but I can't find it. I don't see it in the "tools" app folder or the "Samsung" app folder.

Yep, for the S6. I don't think it was in a folder, just in the app drawer by itself. Which carrier version do you have? Maybe they removed it.

You can see it on this picture from The Verge review in the dock between the Messages app and app drawer. Pretty sure I have seen it on the international, AT&T, and T-Mobile versions at least. https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/mP...ds/chorus_asset/file/3456662/galaxys6-9.0.png

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon phones don't have the stock browser. I wonder is there a way to get it? Why in the "F" would Verizon remove this?

EDIT: Duh, found it in the store. :)

2nd EDIT: Geez it's full of adds?? Unbelievable crap.
Chrome works fine

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon phones don't have the stock browser. I wonder is there a way to get it? Why in the "F" would Verizon remove this?

EDIT: Duh, found it in the store. :)

Odd. Normally I don't like it when both a stock browser and Chrome are included, but in the case of the Galaxy S6, the stock browser performs so much better that I'm glad they included it in addition to Chrome.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Odd. Normally I don't like it when both a stock browser and Chrome are included, but in the case of the Galaxy S6, the stock browser performs so much better that I'm glad they included it in addition to Chrome.
So you must have the add free version? I cannot see the point of Verizon cutting this from our $600 S6's . What a rip.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
So you must have the add free version? I cannot see the point of Verizon cutting this from our $600 S6's . What a rip.

I'm not sure which stock browser you're trying in the Play Store, but it's not the Samsung stock browser because it isn't in the Play Store. There are no ads. Looks like this...

Screenshot_2015-04-21-09-43-27.jpg

Screenshot_2015-04-21-09-43-40.jpg

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
If i search samsung browser its what pops up. Im thinking its a look alike. Will check samsung app store.

anon(2121243)

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Verizon S6 here and I also had no option for browsers except for Chrome out of the box. After the review showing the stock browser having a positive impact on battery life I went looking for it and was bummed to discover it was nowhere to be found.
Surely there has to be a downloadable version of it somewhere out there, right?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Chrome has been ok, no issues for me, but whilst looking for the stock browser I noticed opera was out in a new beta so I'm trying it out. It's been a long time since I used it and so far it seems pretty good. Better than previous experiences I've had with it. Still can't figure why the stock browser was removed.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Verizon here, how can I get the stock Samsung browser back?

From what I'm reading you can't without root and installing the apk. Just what I've read. I'm not very versed in such things and take what I read with a grain or two of salt, but whatever. Glad chrome is doing ok for me. Still sucks tho, just the idea of Verizon boldly removing it. Had to be money involved for them. Really chaps my hide non the less. Maybe a better option for getting it will come up later as more people tinker with things.

dirt4444

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
From what I'm reading you can't without root and installing the apk. Just what I've read. I'm not very versed in such things and take what I read with a grain or two of salt, but whatever. Glad chrome is doing ok for me. Still sucks tho, just the idea of Verizon boldly removing it. Had to be money involved for them. Really chaps my hide non the less. Maybe a better option for getting it will come up later as more people tinker with things.

Is the only way to switch between tabs (on chrome) to hit the recent apps button on the phone and scroll to find it? That's the one thing I don't like about chrome it should be an option within the browser. Maybe I'm missing it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome